Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ah93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
West Midlands, UK
So my pre-orders for the 6 and 6 Plus 64GB both arrived today.. and I am glad I bought both.

I demo'd a Galaxy Note 3 and thought I would be okay with the 6 Plus, but I find it's just too heavy and too large to be able to use at the same speed and comfort that I can use my 5 at.

With the 6, I can reach the edges of the screen fine, and it's not noticeably heavier than my 5. With the 6 Plus, it's considerably heavier, and impossible to reach all buttons without overstretching or using another hand - to the point where after 10 minutes of use I found it uncomfortable and sore.

I'm going to be putting my 6 Plus on eBay I think. I really LOVE the screen and camera, and the battery life enhancements are what encouraged me to buy the 6 Plus in the first place, but I don't think I can deal with this!

Anybody else care to share their opinion?

jamets515

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Gloucester, UK
I have no problem with it at all. I don't get why people said it was slippery or not a one hand device in their reviews. I can easily use this with one hand and it's not too big.

The only thought I have had about size today is when i picked up my iP5S after half an hour on the 6+ and my first thought was 'god damn this thing is tiny!'

lithonius

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
It's obnoxiously large, for a phone. I think a lot of people who get their 6+ are going to be disappointed whether they admit it or not. I'm glad I ordered just the 4.7" which will arrive in the next few hours via UPS :eek:

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I've been reading this more and more. I think apple (and service providers) are going to see many more return-and-repurchase phone swaps this year, going from the Plus to the 6. Just a guess...

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I'm 5'9 and it's fine for me. I tried using my 5S after using it and it was very strange indeed.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I've been reading this more and more. I think apple (and service providers) are going to see many more return-and-repurchase phone swaps this year, going from the Plus to the 6. Just a guess...

It will go both ways.

People who wanted a Plus but couldn't get it will settle with a 6 until they can find a Plus.

They probably should do it like Samsung and separate the launches of each device.

ah93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
West Midlands, UK
Weird question, but how tall are you?

6 foot 2.

Holding it is not the problem here, I can hold it comfortably. But when it comes to reaching over the screen and the juggling the phone around to reach the bottom/top and then use TouchID, I just find it uncomfortable!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I think some men are simply intimidated by size because they'er not used to seeing what 5.5" looks like in hand....... Others are fine with 7.9" in their hand while still others are used to 9.7" or more.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think many people who ordered the larger phone without first trying it will be shocked. I've played with and used a Note before and had a larger Nokia phone as well but others just preordered without thinking of the ramifications.

I recommend you give it some time instead of giving up on it.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

I agree. Of course the 6 will feel more comfortable. We're used to the smaller-screened iPhones.

The Plus will require an adjustment period, but I think it will be worth it for the added benefits it brings.

ah93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
West Midlands, UK
I think many people who ordered the larger phone without first trying it will be shocked. I've played with and used a Note before and had a larger Nokia phone as well but others just preordered without thinking of the ramifications.

I agree. Of course the 6 will feel more comfortable. We're used to the smaller-screened iPhones.

The Plus will require an adjustment period, but I think it will be worth it for the added benefits it brings.

Hmm.. I think you're right. I'll give it the weekend and see how we're doing.

I want to love it hahaha

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
Hard to believe anyone that says the 6+ is easy to use one handed. We know that isnt true.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hard to believe anyone that says the 6+ is easy to use one handed. We know that isnt true.

I think Apple tried to really make it usable in one hand as possible but realistically its just not going to happen.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Guys, the fact is you just can not realistically use the 6 Plus one-handed. Once you accept that fact and move on to treating it as the 2-handed "iPad Nano" device that it is, you'll be fine. Otherwise, return it for a 6.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Been into an Apple Store today to buy a 6+ case. (Mine getting delivered today from Apple). Wow, I know people have complained about the size but I think it's perfect, the 6 looks small in the flesh.

The screen is gorgeous and the size is extremely manageable (height = 6ft 1 inch). It feels like a totally new product and even feels lighter than my 5S (which I also read in a review).

If anyone is worried about the size, then don't im sure you will love it the minute you get your hands on one.

lithonius

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
The last thing I need is to walk around with a tablet plastered to the side of my head. Too big! :apple:

allprologue

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I feel like if the Plus had been redesigned it wouldn't look quite as obnoxious (to ME), the actual screen size is great, fantastic even, but the size of the bezels is ridiculous. It looks like an overgrown iphone rather than something intentionally done--the proportions are exactly the same and it seems hard to believe this was necessary to fit everything in.

I'd love to move up in screen size but the plus seems bigger than it needs to be to accomplish that, if you look at the other similar phablets. It's also light in features to make up for the size. I got a 6 but I'll keep an eye out for the next one that'll hopefully be more efficiently designed, then I'll be happy to leap. And buy a bluetooth headset so I don't have to put the thing up to my ear, I'd feel like such a hole doing that.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I got the 4.7 but I will get the 5.5 when it's be redesigned with less bezel so it's understandable it feels pretty tall.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
So my pre-orders for the 6 and 6 Plus 64GB both arrived today.. and I am glad I bought both.

I demo'd a Galaxy Note 3 and thought I would be okay with the 6 Plus, but I find it's just too heavy and too large to be able to use at the same speed and comfort that I can use my 5 at.

With the 6, I can reach the edges of the screen fine, and it's not noticeably heavier than my 5. With the 6 Plus, it's considerably heavier, and impossible to reach all buttons without overstretching or using another hand - to the point where after 10 minutes of use I found it uncomfortable and sore.

I'm going to be putting my 6 Plus on eBay I think. I really LOVE the screen and camera, and the battery life enhancements are what encouraged me to buy the 6 Plus in the first place, but I don't think I can deal with this!

Anybody else care to share their opinion?

Ever thought it's not the phone and that you're just to small? Lol

danielbroad

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Its fascinating the difference of opinions on the 6+.

With all the people saying its massive i was beginning to wonder if the pdf cutouts were the right size, however i've received my case and it looks like they were spot on.

I'm 6ft4 but never thought i had particularly big hands, it looks like one-handed i can reach all the way across and the bottom 2/3 of the screen, so i guess they must be fairly big...

6+ coming later today, can't wait!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.