6 Plus owners: Can you Bend, Sit with iPhone in Pocket?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sounds Good, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

For the new iPhone 6 Plus owners:

My concern with the 6 Plus is not whether or not the phone will fit it my pocket (it will), my concern is whether or not I'll be able to bend or sit while it's in my pocket. Normal things, like getting in and out of a car. Sitting down in a chair or on the couch. Bending over to pick something up. Bending down to tie my shoe. Regular stuff. I tend to wear jeans quite often (Levi's 505 jeans mostly) so I'm especially interested in this.

Is it do-able? If so, how uncomfortable or restraining is it? Does it dig into you? Does it feel like the phone will break, bend or crack? Etc.

Could some of you that are lucky enough to get an iPhone 6 Plus please try some of these tests and report back with your honest feedback and thoughts?

Thanks... much appreciated! :)

2. golfdude macrumors regular

No, no and no to all these questions. My friend just got home with his 6+ and he has to take it out of his pocket (golf shorts) to get into his car, otherwise he is scared of "bending" it. I then put it my my pocket, I am wearing typical gym shorts, phone fits fine, but it's big and you feel it. Looked ridiculous running 20 feet with it, flip flopping around. I then hopped on a bike and couldn't bike with it comfortably. But we all knew this, it's more of a tablet (hybrid).

3. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

I have one in my pocket right now, and I can sit, bend, or move any way I want. It's big, but it's not unworkable or even uncomfortable.

4. macmedal macrumors regular

I agree I really wanted the iPhone 6 Plus due to its screen size etc. For me it was going to be the iPad mini and iPhone in one.

But having seen it today for the first time it is BIG. The reality is although it will fit comfortably in your jeans standing up or walking, sitting down with it in your jeans pocket is not really going to be a good option. Maybe some baggy pleated trousers will work, but in jeans sitting down, driving etc....good luck with that....

I opted for the iPhone 6 instead.

5. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Yes! I wear jeans for work (office setting) and it fits fine in my front pocket. I usually wear loose / relaxed fit jeans. I'm 6'4" tall and about 215 lbs.

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I can wear it in my jeans and my suit trousers. It's an iPhone 6 Plus, not an iPad.

7. jettrue macrumors regular

jettrue

Won't this depend on the pocket, and for that matter, depend on the butt? LOL.

8. kovey macrumors 6502a

It's so large, that you have to confine yourself to a wheelchair in order to move around with it. You activate the home button via a straw that you blow to unlock the phone, or suck and you get mountain dew.

Serious, what is wrong with people and the 6 Plus? It's not that large. It fits into a human sized pocket. You can walk around with it like a normal person. Why is everything so difficult for everybody?

9. threelions macrumors regular

Honestly it's going to depend on how big you are and your fashion choices(No more skinny jeans).

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Really would depend on your size. You can be 5' 5" and weigh 300 lbs with bigger jeans - the iPhone Plus could fit.

Or you could be 5' 11" and 150 lbs. with a tighter jeans (not skinny jeans) - and it may not be comfortable.

11. golfdude macrumors regular

Good point, I forgot how many people wear loose/baggy clothing now. For a professional that wears standard slacks/jeans it's going to be a problem. If you go with the loose fit pants it will fit, I guess. It did fit in my gym shorts, but trying to do anything athletic with it in my pocket wasn't going to work. Although, I guess it will give me a better workout on my pull-up day. Evidently there is a lot of people that don't exercise or they don't exercise with iPhone's 6+'s.

12. futch macrumors 6502

futch

Wearing a suit everyday, the 6+ will not be an issue at all because my jacket pocket will hold it perfectly. At 6'3 and 215lbs this phone will not be bothersome to me even with jeans. However, it will certainly not be for everyone.

13. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm in the "standard" boat. I'm usually in Levi's 505 or Dockers. Neither of which are loose or baggy.

I want the larger screen -- very much -- but I also wanna be able to sit down with the phone kept in my front pocket. I'd hate to have to take the phone out of my pocket constantly, all day, every day. That won't work for me.

I'm just not sure if I want the 4.7" version. I really wish Apple would have come out with one single 5" iPhone with all the extras that the 5.5" iPhone got. :(

Oh well.

14. mnsportsgeek, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Or even good fitting jeans. You're stuck with the loose, relaxed fit for good if you own the plus.

Which is fine if you wear jeans and a t-shirt everyday.

15. golfdude macrumors regular

I ran home threw on my slacks and tried the 6+ and I tried to sit down in his car and I felt like my pocket was going to rip, I did situate it and was able to sit down but it was very tight. I wear flat front slacks, which are definitely not loose or baggy but not "slim fit" either.

I will admit I wish I had ordered my wife the 6+, she almost never wears it in her pocket and she uses 2 hands to work her 5S so she would have probably enjoyed the 6+.

16. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Hell no! You must be joking! You can't sit, bend or kneel with the 6 Plus in your pocket. That is of course, unless you want a fractured arse, femur, hip or rib! The 6 Plus is an enormous freak of nature.

17. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

WARNING
    If it don't fit in your pocket your pants are way to tight.
    [​IMG]

18. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I am considering taking up wearing thin blazers/jackets just for the iPhone 6 Plus. Don't laugh, I am totally serious about that. I can't stop wearing jeans, but I tried a 6 Plus mockup in my pocket and sitting down with it in the jeans was not good. It works, but it's not comfortable. Maybe could have my wife sew some custom pockets into my jeans so it's lower down on the leg instead of digging into the waist, not sure if that would work.

19. alexwei macrumors regular

NO!!!!! All I have are skinny jeans!!!!

20. techn9ne macrumors member

Who knew that a technology brand would have such an impact on pant manufacturers. We're gonna be seeing some tags that say "FITS IPHONE 6+!" for awhile huh? Skinny jean trend has died - back to baggy it is!

21. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

22. Sounds Good thread starter macrumors 68000

I know some of you are poking fun at this (it's okay, I get it :)) but it's really important to me. It would suck if my phone was somewhat uncomfortable on a regular basis, every single day.

23. kevin738 macrumors newbie

I think that the size is great. Ya. It's bigger but let's be honest, that's what we all seemed to want. No problem with sitting or walking or anything. I find my plus to be perfect. Not unhappy at all and to be honest I seemed to be getting more worried as more came out and everyone kept saying it was too big. Not an issue now that I have it and am using it. And the battery is fantastic

24. milhouse994 macrumors regular

As a 6+ pre-orderer, waiting 3-4 weeks for my phone, these threads interest me.

But the more I read the more it seems "your mileage may vary" seems to really apply. Ultimately I guess I just need to wait and see how I find the phone because I see both sides being represented here and really seems there is no right or wrong answer. It's down to personal taste/experience/preference.