600,000 iPhones being activated on the same day!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mark Booth, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

600,00 iPhone 4s being activated on the same day! :eek:

Will AT&T and Apple be prepared? Will it take hours upon hours to get our iPhone 4s working? Will MacRumors forum be overrun with negative postings while we are waiting for the iPhone 4 to finish with activation?

Tune in a week from Thursday for all of the fun!

Mark

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

good thing i live on the east coast. like the 3g i can get away right before it happens :p

3. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Should be no problem, right? They know the storm is coming and have a week to get ready for it, right?

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

that is only pre-orders,
    I don't THINK that includes reservations.
    Lets not forget about walk-ins.........

probably closer to 800,000

When I get it, I will try to activate it. If it doesn't work, I need to go to work....Then I'll just finish it at 2AM or something.....

5. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

This is why I'm kind of glad the white iPhone isn't going to be available on June 24th. I'll certainly make due with my 3GS until things calm down.

6. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

They also had a week to get ready for pre-orders, and we all know how that turned out...

7. katiesham macrumors member

Um...were you asleep yesterday?

The SHOULD have been ready for that too..

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Unfortunately, knowing a tornado is coming right towards your house doesn't prevent your house from being destroyed.

9. TonyJack macrumors newbie

Yea it's going to be real interesting, considering all the problems they've had so far. I have a feeling more insanity is in store for the next few weeks.

10. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

UGH, how many 3g iPhones were activated the first day?

because I never got the 3g, and that is the one that had the most issues. I remember activating my original took 3 hours.

11. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

According to engadget, that's 10 times more than what the 3GS did!

12. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

I think it's a different situation w/ the activations vs the preorders. According to press releases AT&T handled 10x the pre-order volume of 3GS. I think it was reasonable of AT&T to expect 1-2x the pre-order volume of 3GS, but 10x blew everyone away and they were unprepared.

Right now they KNOW 600,000+ people are going to get their hands on an iPhone on the 24th and want to activate it. There is nothing left to chance here, there can be no surprise volume surge. They better get ready for it.

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It'll probably be more like a million by the time we get to the 24th. I may not even try to activate mine on launch day. Naw... just kidding. I'll be hitting the "activate" button like a maniac and taking AT&T's name in vain just like everybody else. :D

Mark too.

14. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

15. nfl46 macrumors 604

The 3GS sold over a million last week during the weekend, which was the highest selling iPhone ever. I expect this one to push 1.7 million or higher to top the 3GS.

16. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

A quick question because I'm an iPhone nub - if you pre-order from AT&T isn't the phone already activated? I thought they activate it before shipping and you just turn it on and you're set?

Is that not the way it works with iPhones?

17. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I do not believe that since Apple announced it as such a ground-breaking thing. By making a big deal out of it, they had to have known almost every current iPhone user plus way more from AT&T and other companies would want it.

18. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

everyone should go in expecting many many problems during activation, cause I sure as hell think there will be - and in the slim chance that there aren't then you will be pleasantly surprised.

19. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

Don't forget 600,000 is worldwide (where its being sold) think about the time line...

Japan well ahead, then France & Germany, the UK an hour later then USA 5 hours after that

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And this is the reason why apple making people get new sim cards every year is a huge problem. AT&T system and others were designed in mind of most people re-using the previous sim card. This means the number of sim cards they have to active every year is a pretty low number compared to the number of phones they sell.

Apple meathod spikes their system way beyond what it was ever designed to handle so you get tons of problems. The activation problems I will say rest 80-90% at apple fault for not sticking with the standard model. That model is take sim card out of old phone and put it in the new phone.

21. corriewf macrumors 6502a

This is going to be interesting. I am willing to bet their will be lines at the apple store alllll day as activations stall and people show up for their reservations. I think it is quite possible to not be able to get your reservation on the 24th due to the store closing before they can activate everyone.

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Awesome observation, please do contribute more.

23. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Mine is being shipped to my house on the 24th from Apple(confirmed). I might wait until late in the evening Thursday night to activate it, so I can have it all weekend. Hopefully late night Thursday i'll avoid the onslaught of activation during the day!

24. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

You have to activate it in iTunes after it ships to your house. If you are getting it in store THEY have to activate it in iTunes. Either way, iTunes is a factor for the 600,000+ people next Thursday and that's why we're concerned. Everyone trying to hit that at once, there are bound to be some issues.

You can't really blame Apple or ATT- I mean these kinds of numbers are unheard of. They WANT us to buy this stuff, you know they're gonna do everything they can. But still, these numbers are staggering so we just have to be patient.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I predict a clusterf**k like the original launch day's activations..