Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I found this on craigslist: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/sys/4375632557.html

I feel so guilty when people say they can't find any PPC Macs on craigslist, as there's hundreds in my area! :cool:

I think the main reason people say that they can't find PPC Macs in their area is because they're looking for specific PPC Macs that can run Leopard. I know that's the case with me a lot when I see machines that I like the look of but don't want to run an OS that doesn't have support for certain types of networks and also won't recognize some of my usb devices (a TRON light cycle usb flash drive).

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I don't know if it's just me, but you'd think people would research iMac G4s before they sold them, because the design is so much different than anything that comes out of Apple today. Maybe they just see the Apple sign and think, "Apple = $$$", like someone else pointed out.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
That's crazy expensive! Totally not worth it. I bought my 2006 iMac for only $200, which is not really worth anything at this point.

I noticed other people pointing out that some sellers think that they can price very high simply because it's Apple. This is very much true. You see this all the time on Kijiji when people are selling older Macs (2006 or earlier). I've seen people selling iMac G3s for $400+, just for the system itself. It's these computers that are priced so high that the owners end up not selling them and then either giving it away or recycling it, I think.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I agree that there's nothing wrong with that, I just think it's funny that they said "A" Microsoft. Unless of course they're using a surface/surface pro.

Ah, yes I got you now. They're likely referring to a computer running Windows, but who knows. I don't know many people with a Surface. In my opinion, the only worth-while Surface is the Surface Pro 2 and even though it's got great hardware it's actually very overpriced, I think. Especially for the 512GB model, which runs for $1,800. That's why I think people aren't really buying the Surface - there aren't many Surface RT apps available and the Surface Pro is expensive.

It's better to buy an 11" MacBook Air. With the same specs (However, the processor in the Surface Pro 2 is a 1.7GHz i5, the MacBook Air I compared is only 1.3GHz, this might affect the price) the MacBook Air is $200 less.

Edit: I just scoped out the MS website. It seems that the 512GB Surface Pro is out of stock, oddly.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Ah, yes I got you now. They're likely referring to a computer running Windows, but who knows. I don't know many people with a Surface. In my opinion, the only worth-while Surface is the Surface Pro 2 and even though it's got great hardware it's actually very overpriced, I think. Especially for the 512GB model, which runs for $1,800. That's why I think people aren't really buying the Surface - there aren't many Surface RT apps available and the Surface Pro is expensive.

It's better to buy an 11" MacBook Air. With the same specs (However, the processor in the Surface Pro 2 is a 1.7GHz i5, the MacBook Air I compared is only 1.3GHz, this might affect the price) the MacBook Air is $200 less.

Edit: I just scoped out the MS website. It seems that the 512GB Surface Pro is out of stock, oddly.

It's possible, but when I see something like that, it gives me more of the impression that they're trying to capitalize on the Apple fan club even though they really know nothing about computers.

I would not buy a surface. If I want to spend that much money on an electronic device it would be a real laptop that can also run Windows in addition to the main OS (along with the ability to use numerous peripherals and accessories). In fact, if I had $1800 to spend right now, I would buy: a refurb 13" MBP AND a refub 16GB iPad min and still have almost $300 left over for accessories. YES, that's what I would do.

Being out of stock might mean they're selling a ton of them or that they're simply sold out of their original stock and it just took that long for them to do it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The sad part of all this is that the unsuspecting user looking for a good deal based on the good things they hear about Macs will buy a iMac G4 and expect it to run great today. Well guess what, you just got ripped off either through intentions of the seller or blatent lack of knowledge. It is sad that people do not know what they have and let Quad G5s and early Mac Pros go for $100 but charge $350 for iMac G4s and Mac Minis.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Picking up a 20 inch tomorrow from a local guy who was kind enough to respond to my Craigslist Wanted. Paying $80 for the 2003 system with USB 2.0 functionality in pristine condition. Worth it, I believe, because once it dies it will have a NUC shoved in it, but relating to the last post above me, I was able to pick up an '06 Mac Pro 2.66 Quad for $70 a few weeks ago, though the chasis was very damaged and it was sold to me "non functioning." It's just crazy what people want to sell things for - just because you paid a fortune when it was new doesn't mean that it's still worth that much.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Well I saw someone locally trying to post their "24" iMac G4". After talking to him, I offered $150(which I thought was more than fair) but said he'll sell for $580... Mentioned he would just sell the mouse and clear speakers for $150.

There's my comical post for the day.

I hate people like that -_-'

Then when you try to educate them, they think you are trying to rip them off when you show them the real cost. Luckily I was able to educate a person I know. He was trying to sell his iMac G3 (2000 Graphite) at his yard sale for $60. It's working, etc. but has cracking in the frame. I said it was worth 10 but we gave him 20 instead. He was surprised that he had paid $1,200 for it in 2000 and that it was only worth like $20. Sadly, people go: Hmm, I paid $2000 for this computer 10 years ago, so I think it should be worth about $300.... NO. That's what happens when you keep a computer, that you bought new, for more than 5 years.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Some people just want maximum profit and pretend to be like that ;)

Most people probably don't know what it is worth
But it's very easy to find out, just search for your thing and see what the prices are.
Well if people are too stupid to figure out that a lamp doesn't work beacuse the light bulb burnt out, and throw it away, then...
(Yes it's happened many times before, someone threw away a very good lamp just because the light bulb burnt out xD; I've also gotten a very good mini Shop-Vac-like vac, only problem with it was it has a fat dust clog. Fixed it in 5 seconds by reversing the hose and turning it on.
So far I have like...7 or 8 perfectly good vacs (and expensive too) taken from the garbage. I also have lots of fans and TVs and furniture. I wish I would find a computer :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.