The sad unibody story

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lscangus, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lscangus macrumors 6502

Dear friends, this is my unibody story.

First one:

loose battery cover
    dented case
    defective speaker
    overheat

Replacement Unit
    Buzzing fan
    overheat when GPU and CPU are both in load
    Defective spacebar

Should i get one more replacement or wait for revision B?

UPDATE!!

here is a log file created from Nvidia System Tools, that log is created while i was doing some gaming. You can download the file, no virus and look at it. It starts off from 105'C, which is UNUSUAL as a laptop, but anyway, then the fan started to spin up. Which brings down the tempeature to a non- throttling level. but still you can see the CPU keeps throttling!

UPDATE!!

Attached Files:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What do you mean overheat? Like, it would shut off?
    I say get another.

3. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

The CPU keeps throttling. You will know it when you are windows and monitor it using CPU-Z, this may as well explain the rather poor or disappointing gae performance with it.

4. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I'd try again, but this is usually why I wait on Apple products. Yes, its great having the new shiny computer, but Apple doesn't have the greatest track record either.

5. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Are you getting all of these from the same place? Perhaps it's a source problem -- do you have another Apple store by chance in your area?

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Typically if a replacement product of mine ends up with the same issues I will return it and not look back. As these seem like different problems I would look at getting this one fix. I don't think for the problems your getting with your current one you would really need a replacement. As for the throttling, I hope you not maxing the CPU and GPU in one of those tests, as the processor would be designed to throttle in that situation.

7. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/29/nvidia-heat-causing-macbooks

That news makes me worried. But now i feel guilty to have so many units replaced.

I got them from the internet. I got my MBP last wednesday, so i wanna get back to them within these two days. Your suggestions will all be considered.

8. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

I got a friend using Dell doing same test, no throttling occur.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You're paying a premium for the Apple brand, you deserve at least an equal experience, if not a premium one. Why would you even consider spending so much and accepting something subpar?

10. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what i got when i bought my first mac the 12" Powerbook back in the days.

So would you suggest me to get a replacement or get a refund and end this, possibly wait for revision B from macworld?

Angus

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Was it just like my 12" 867 which overheated and had random audio clicking issues?

Return your MBP and see how the replacement is. Mine has been perfect.

12. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

I have random clicks sometimes when there isn't any music playing. for my replacement one. And the PCU throttles during intensive GPU and CPU use. But i doubt it is overheat actually, as the CPU is at 84'C. I am worried about it is some hardware design problem.

13. sepu macrumors regular

what kind of test did u do ? I just want to make sure that mine is fine ..... Thanks

14. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

You need to go to windows side. Download the latest GPU folding at home, install and run it to max out your GPU.

And then download Prime95, use the stress test and stress the PCU out.

Get CoreTemp. Run it, and then see whether the speed of the processor starts flickering and reducing its speed.

Please post your results.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Sorry to hear the bad luck but there are good unibody mbps out there!

My 2.53ghz unibody mbp has no overheating issues and infact it runs so cool all the time even when maxing out both cpu's at 100% using visual hub and the fans going at 5800rpm is not that loud either. I remember my brother came over and heard my mbp at 100% cpu usage converting a 1080p movie using visual hub and he was like is that the sound of your fans maxed out?? Its so quiet! lol.

Also my battery cover is not lose and the speakers sound amazing, like they stuck the 17" mbp's speakers in the new 15".

Also the screen is gorgeous and the colors are so deep and the viewing angle is amazing!

I'd say just keep exchanging and you will get yours.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Macworld 2010? No revision will occur 3 months after a launch. Get another one dude.

17. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

Please try the test i have explained. My MBP doesn;t overheat when it is 100% CPU, it occurs abnormal when during 100% CPU and GPU at the same time.

Fingers crossed for the 17inches.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The solution back then was when someone wrote a small piece of software that would play a brief silent soundclip every minute or so. That was until Apple fixed it in an update.

19. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

After reading many many storys on the new unibody

I think the best computer to buy from apple if you want a good pro machine

Is the Previous Gen Macbook Pro 15' and 17' at this moment in time

20. kleb macrumors newbie

unlucky..
    i think, all the new MBPs should be fine now.

21. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=608168

seriously?

your throttling issue is your own impractical expectations, they're meant to throttle all the time, it saves you battery life and keeps temps down, that's the whole point of a mobile processor, to get the job done while maintaining the longest possible battery life and longevity.

your other concerns are valid, like the loose cover etc.. but there's no laptop on earth that won't throttle like that, even desktop chips throttle all the time, it's part of the advancements in technology to increase longevity while not sacrificing performance when it's not being used and to pump it up when you need it, and to of course know when to protect itself from thermal overload/heatsoak which you were purposely causing with prime95x2 and a gpu benchmark where both of those components are on the same heatpipe...

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Are you running it a 100%? What processor does the Dell have?

23. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

this is completely correct. set your laptops power mode to 'always on' under windows and you will see that it is not throttling, and that you have no idea what you are talking about OP.

24. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

keep on getting them until you get a perfect one.

25. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

this should be everyones strategy. replace your laptop every 13 days, just so you can always have a new shiny one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.