64 gb vs 32gb opinions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hushmartin, Oct 6, 2011.

1. hushmartin, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

hushmartin macrumors 6502

So, what do you think? Is it worth the extra 100 bucks? Alternatively, can't a person just pay 25 bucks a year for the iTunes match service when it comes out? Or would that not work for someone who has a huge collection? Perhaps I don't really understand how that iTunes match and the cloud are intended to be used. What's the best idea? I know there's got to be many more people considering the same things.

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm not sure about iTunes match but I'm finding it difficult to manage with 32GB on my iPhone 4 and plan on getting a 64GB iPhone 4S.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

With the higher res camera, and faster processor (which will lead to more advanced apps), 64GB is going to come in more handy than it would've in the past.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

With the cloud services, people will likely not need to larger storage as you can stream movies and pictures and music to your phone from the cloud. At least that is how I understand it. However, if you look at the total cost of the phone and the phone plan over a two year period, what is an extra hundred bucks? :rolleyes:

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I thought iCloud was not a streaming service though?

I thought I read that you couldn't stream music from it??

Am I mistaken?

6. hushmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

That's definitely true, 100 bucks over 2 years is pretty reasonable. I'm not sure what my hang up is... other than somewhere between 299 and 399. :D

Rat-boy- You're right, but I guess you can sort of "download on the fly" or something. I don't think I understand it well.

7. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

This is right off the Apple site:

So, this means you can re-download your purchases.

But that is not the same as streaming.

If you are listening to a song on your iPod, then that song is eating at your 32 or 64 GIG period.

So if you get a smaller one, you would have to delete songs and download songs on the fly in order to use less space.

8. Millionin20s macrumors regular

Since iTunes Match is an additional $25 a year and only* includes the 20 million songs that Apple sells in iTunes, it isn't as useful to me as I thought it would be. I currently have 35 GB of music in my iTunes, and that's always expanding. If you're the kind of person that likes carrying their entire musical catalog with them NOW w/o streaming needed, then spend the extra hundro and get an additional 32 GB.

*I say "only" because as a person that often receives and reviews new music before it's available for sale, iTunes Match would never be up to date. Also, people still steal a lot of music.

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I think this thread just convinced me to go from 16 to 32.

My bank account will not appreciate.

10. rkahl macrumors 65816

Just remember that only music is in iTunes match. If you have a handbraked collection of movies and and apple Tv, the 64gb might be something to consider. Besides, you will get all your money back if you sell your 4s.

11. Virance macrumors regular

I'm going with the 64 gig, the total cost of ownership over the lifespan of the device makes the difference between 16 and 64 in terms of price trivial, but in terms of usefulness relatively substantial.

I'll fill 16 gigs with apps that I already have (my 3gs is full at 16 gigs with no music and no navigation app), so I pretty much have to go to 32 - at that point $100 to double it is just a no brainer.

12. iTorment macrumors member

iTorment

ANd me to go from 32 to 64, i was unearth assumption that you could store music with iCloud.

13. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You guys persuaded me to get the 64. I have the 16 now with 6 gigs of photos/video but with a 8 megapixels camera, 1080p video, and a new baby; that thing should fill up pretty fast.

14. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I have the 32 now, and will probably stay with the 32. If I use up space with videos and such, I'll just take em off my iPhone and put them on my MBP.

15. McPhallus macrumors regular

Seems a no brainer to get the 64. I remember being disappointed when the 4 only had 32, and my device has been nearly full for quite a while.

But remember there's also home sharing, which lets you stream content from your PC (as long as you're within range of your home wifi).

16. hushmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Crap. I totally did not intend to increase demand for the 64. :p

17. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I'm bumping up against 32gb on my iphone 4 and I dont even have that big of a music collection compared to most people.

that being said, i'm going with the 64gb as its still cheaper than what I sold my iphone 4 for ;)

18. techguy20 macrumors 6502

I think I'm going for the 32GB design.

16GB is too small for all the libraries, and 32GB should be plenty.

19. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

I don't see myself ever using 64 GB, it just seems unneeded.

I was doing fine with 8 GB for ages. The way I look at it, all my music is 10 GB, I take a fair amount of photos but dump them onto the MBP and delete them off the phone, I shoot video sometimes but there' always short and I dump it off.

All my apps don't even total 1 GB. Honestly, 16 GB is all I'll ever need and then some.

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Match is working great for me .. usually get 32Gb, but getting 16Gb now

21. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Look what you started OP. :D

22. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

23. oshia86 macrumors regular

My opinion is that the 64gb model will hold roughly twice as much as the 32gb mode. you heard it here first.

24. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

32GB is my sweet spot.

I had a 30 GB iPod then upgraded to a 32 GB iPod touch then i got a 32 GB iPhone 4 and a 32 GB iPad 2.

Neither my iPhone or iPad is full on memory, I have about 10-13 GB free usually so a 16 GB is not enough and 64 GB is too much.

Sure I could easily fill a 64GB device with all my movies, but i really don't need that much on my device at any given time and I rarely actually watch movies on my iPhone or iPad anymore except for an occasional youtube video.

my $0.02 on the matter.

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I've been wanting a 64GB phone for a while now - with 32GB I constantly have to juggle what I sync (lots of HD movies/TV) and it'll be nice to be able to have a little extra room, finally. 64GB for sure!