64GB iPod Touch in September?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macindork, Jun 17, 2009.

1. macindork macrumors member

It only makes sense... the reason the iPhone wasn't available in 32GB capacity was because one of the spots the iPod uses for storage was occupied by the phone radio and now there is a 32GB iPhone...

I'm also thinking the 8GB iPod may go away and you'll get the 16GB for $200, 32GB for $300 and the 64GB for $400 (but that may not happen until next year).

What do you guys think?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Seeing as we have absolutely no idea and cannot know,

Yes, that makes sense, since 32GB chips exist.

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

64 GB for iPT in september is a safe assumption. But a simple memory increase will be a very lame update. You`d probably see the addition of a camera and gps in the Touch along with the new 600Mhz proc and 256 MB RAM. And may be a mic too for voip calls:eek:. But it`d be really hard to put all these in the touch without compromising on its size.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

sorry but unless you have an official source for now you shouldn't commit to such a statement till apple actually say ;)

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Or 48gb? Heck, lets root for 1tb!

I want every DVD, Music file, photo, and document I've ever owned/created with me on my Touch! :p

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

how about a iPod with a portable hard drive? lol

8. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

The only way a 64 GB iPod Touch ISN'T coming is if they decide to stop making them or they call them something else.

Yes, it IS coming, though possibly not in September and possibly not the same exact name/product. Jeeze...

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

48 isn't possible, but 1TB is; let's see...

64, 128, 256, 512, 1024...

1TB iPod touch in 2013.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you cant see my point? I mean people were adamant the 2nd gen would be 64gb look what happend there ;) so I still stand by saying no1 can say there will be a 64gb iPod Touch unless apple officially say so ;)

11. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

Haha, of course I see your point.

The OP was asking for opinions; by this reasoning we should get onto every poster who doesn't use the phrase "I think.." before their statements. I always infer these statements are what people "think" or "believe" given the nature of this site. :)

So OP, I BELIEVE we'll see a 64GB iPod Touch. But, keep in mind that because Apple hasn't officially said ANYTHING, we cannot assume they will make any new product of any type ever again... ;)

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

You are correct - we cannot say with certainty.

However, 32 GB chips are common now and apple has begun using them in the iphone. The touch uses two of them. So...

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Makes sense knowing 32GB nand chips are now being used.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes any comments about 64-GB iPT should be preferaced with the statement that it's technically feasible to offer a 64-GB model but we really don't know.

I expect a camera to be added and the same video features offered as in the iPhone.

15. andyffer macrumors member

i dont even use up my 16g first gen's memory. LOL

You guys think its going to be completely different or just memory upgrades this september?

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It'll be faster hardware to match the iPhone. They may add some tweaks here and there but I doubt it'll change much because with the iPhone and iPod Touch combo they get maximum economy of scale from using the same parts.

17. hamish5178 macrumors member

Camer and mic make sense, but GPS?

Lost in the wilderness, trying to find your way home, but you have WiFi?

Also, you can use google maps to find your location down to a block or two, so what's the point?

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

On board maps. Like the TomTom coming for the iphone. Forget wifi or data dependency...

19. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

One can dream cant he. BTW why would wifi be required for GPS to work? Atleast not if you have maps saved in your iPod. Not many people would use GPS but still it`ll be a welcome addition if they do it. Apple might shy away from it though, in order to cut costs and keep the ipod as thin as possible.

20. KrazyKuul macrumors regular

i highly doubt the iPod touch will have a camera. In one way or another, that would have to hurt iPhone sales

21. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

OK? It may hurt iPhone sales, but Apple still gets their money.

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Generally every year, new iPods after the Back-To-School program...

23. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

How would that be? No one is buying an iPhone only for its camera. It's an added extra that people like to have, but not a necessity, and surely not the reason people buy an iPhone. The quality of the camera in the iphone is not in the same league as the typical P&S camera.

I think that a 64GB iPod Touch with a camera is certainly a strong possibility. Although not probable, I'd like to see the new iPod Touch with 3G access. This would create a new profit center for Apple and/or any phone company that hosts the service. You could charge $15-$20 a month for the service, and coupled with Apple's browsing capabilities, would be a windfall for new iPod sales. And no, it would not cut into iPhone sales. It is a phone after all, and the primary reason people buy the iPhone. The iPod is just that, an iPod, and does not have the hardware to be anything else.

24. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

what would you possibly do with 64 gigs? i have a 16 gig iPod touch and i cant even fill that with stuff to occupy me while im on vacation for a week, and its not even 16 gigs. its a little over 14 gigs