68.7% updated to IOS7 but many discontented

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by gadget123, Oct 9, 2013.

1. gadget123, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

gadget123 macrumors 68000

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Seems to coincide with the threads here. I personally am happy with iOS7. Its definitely a step in the right direction imo. Could they have done some things better, absolutely but its a good solid update

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I updated from Iphone 5 to 5S. I did hate IOS7 at first but it is usable if that's the word and yes it's got some good points.

But there's a lot of niggles in the OS. Another point the article makes is closing more apps in the old multi tasking.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Personally, I like it. But I know many people who regret updating and have rapidly gone off their once glorious iPhones.

5. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

I'm so happy I didn't upgrade to that hideous OS.

It's the first time in 10 years that I don't upgrade one of my Apple software straight away.

I don't intend to upgrade to Mavericks either - I hate skeuomorphism, but Mavericks contacts, calendar, etc looks boring as F.

6. Ed91 macrumors 6502

I feel like it's an article searching for a scandal; throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. iOS 7 may not be perfect, but some of the things are just ridiculous, and anywhere else the final sentence would be considered pure flamebait.

I also love the "Spotlight is hard to find" bit. The first alert you'll see on getting to your home screen after setup is "Spotlight has moved". If people are still having trouble finding it after that, it being everywhere on the internet, and the fact that some people are complaining that they activate it accidentally too often, there's no hope for humanity.

7. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Not everyone wastes their life on the internet like we do.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

I wish someone on here would take a few hours to go back and count all of the threads before June of this year were members were posting about "how iOS 7 had better be a major redesign" or they'd "be forced" to switch to Android.

Then Apple does a major redesign with iOS 7, and now there's a group of people bitching about how they've gone too far.

I think the point is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to please all Apple users. Simply impossible. Had iOS 7 not have been a major redesign, I bet you that the Guardian would be running a piece on how Apple can't innovate and is bleeding customers left and right because of how stale iOS is.

----------

Like Ed91 posted, when you first install iOS 7 and get done with the setup, iOS 7 freaking POPS UP a window that tells you how to use the new search feature.

You have to click OK and acknowledge that message before you can start using your device.

No need to waste your life on the Internet learning how to search with iOS 7.

9. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

I think people wanted a re-design for the better, not for the worse.

10. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

The problem with ANY redesign is that there will be a crowd who thinks it's for the better, and another crowd who thinks it's for the worse. For the vast majority of the users, they will find some new great features that they enjoy, and just learn to adjust and roll with the ones that they don't like as much. For the rest of the very small vocal minority, they will continue to wail, gnash teeth and strip their garments, claiming on internet tech forums that it's the end of Apple's leadership of a company, find one or two new features to congregate around and bash, and finally threaten to run to Android if Apple doesn't immediately put things back the way they were. As the saying goes, "don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!".

11. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Answers quite simple though. Open it up and allow users to customise it.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Had Apple re-designed iOS 7 "for the better" (whatever you mean by that), then guess what? Same situation. Some people would love the "for the better" re-design, and some would hate it. Why? Because it's IMPOSSIBLE to please all Apple users.

13. Nick A macrumors regular

I was going to say the same exact thing until I saw you already say it. The problem isn't the re-design, it's the fact that you can't change or customize anything besides your wallpaper. Jailbreak will fix that though..

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Doesn't matter. Some people would bitch about the fact that they have to customize iOS to get it how they want it. They'd say it should have just come "perfect" in the first place, and they shouldn't have to spend their time fixing Apple's mistakes. That's exactly how the mindset of some Apple customers works.

It would be utterly impossible for Apple to produce ANYTHING that doesn't cause complaints from some subset group of people.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Then I would hate it.

So, no, like the other poster said before, you CAN'T make something that will satisfy everyone.

16. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Let me guess, you have magnolia coloured walls and cream carpets through out your house :rolleyes:

Really cannot understand the mindset of people that dont/wouldnt want the OPTION to customise!

You do realise that if you didnt customise it, it would be as Apple would have wanted it and as such you would be in exactly the same situation! Whereas those that dont like the ios7 theme, could customise it and be happy!

I personally think your being awkard for awkard sake.

17. Nick A macrumors regular

Why would you hate it if they're allowing you to customize it to your liking? If you don't want to change anything then leave it stock. If you are the kind of person who likes to change things around then we should at-least be allowed to change the messages bubble colors, color of the keyboard, which icons show up in control center, etc..

EDIT: @Dave.UK, exactly, OPTION is the key word.

18. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Simple solution to these complaints. Open up google and type in "iOS 7 pros and cons" and make an educated decision for yourself if you want to update.

19. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I haven't updated, but I am annoyed that Apple allow the iOS to download itself so that I essentially have an iOS that I won't use taking up space on my iPad. It's the only time I've been glad that my iPhone is almost full, as it can't download onto that.

IMO iOS7 only suits white fronted devices.

20. JupiterDoc macrumors member

I updated my 4S to iOS 7 the second day. I noticed right away it was different & I needed to learn how to use it. One hour later, I knew how to use it and I was happy.

I then updated my wife's 5, it took her one week to enjoy it. She asked me to make it go back to iOS 6 at first. I told her I did not know how to do it. I told her she needs to study the system to get used to it.

Now we are both happy. I believe it takes longer for older users to get used to the change. Especially, iOS 7 is the biggest change and the hardest change to adapt to that I have experienced.

My my & I are now happy we upgraded to iOS 7.

21. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Probably fair to say that iOS7 has caused more complaints than any version before it though.

22. Princejb134 macrumors member

Idk what all the complaints about. I love ios7 even more than the old design. People will always find something to complain about. If you want customization go to android. For people who want basic task like myself iOS is perfect

23. Ed91 macrumors 6502

Sad but true. However, I didn't really mean that users should have already known in advance like us, but if they ignored the message that told them, googling "spotlight iOS" (not even iOS 7) gives you three top hits that tell you. Simply googling "search iOS" will give you the top hit of the Apple support document detailing how to use it.

Given all the info out there and a message from Apple, I don't think calling Spotlight hard to find is a legitimate complaint.

24. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

The Camera doesn't make full use of the 4" screen in iOS 6 either....

25. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What would the trade-off be for all the resources spent on these OPTIONS?

Apple wouldn't be Apple if they didn't make decisions like Apple.

It would probably be fair to say that if you had some sort of metric to back it up. :)