Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nereo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Maybe I missed something... but has there been any news/rumors of when the next gen iPods will come out? Buyer's Guide indicates a very long (overdue) product cycle, but very little news.

i'm in the market for a new iPod, but I was hoping for a flash-based model.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Apple will not release any new iPod until after the iPhone hype dies down. Count on new models for the xmas selling season.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Apple will not release any new iPod until after the iPhone hype dies down. Count on new models for the xmas selling season.

Ah, but remember the iPhone reaches Europe at the end of the year. So I reckon the 6G will be around January.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Ah, but remember the iPhone reaches Europe at the end of the year. So I reckon the 6G will be around January.

Please be advised that I am an American and as far as we are concerned, nobody else matters. :D

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I doubt they'll wait until January to release the next iPod, they would never miss the holiday season with a totally new design.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

Ah, but also remember that Apple apparently still hasn't found any providers willing to accept their terms on the iPhone yet.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
I doubt they'll wait until January to release the next iPod, they would never miss the holiday season with a totally new design.

Didn't Steve say something about 5 New iPods this year at last years <name> event in September/October - don't quote me on this I may have pulled it out of thin air, but I thought I remember him saying something along those lines.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Ah, but also remember that Apple apparently still hasn't found any providers willing to accept their terms on the iPhone yet.

Something tells me that when European cell phone execs see the lines outside Apple and ATT stores, all the free press and reports of carriers losing subscribers in droves to ATT, the face of negotiations will change.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
I really need an ipod. The more gigs the better. Even if it's still an HDD.

Edit; Don't want a 5.5 gen because it's been so long since that update.

intempo808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Uk

I live in the UK, and all the newspapers were saying that they iPhone was going to be out for the christmas season, but i still think that Apple would be stupid to miss out the Xmas season... they wont make nearly as much profit from the iPhone alone, as some people dont need/ want a new phone.. or wants to spend £250 on a phone.... its so expensive. the only people I can see buying it would be rich people, or business people, who would need the internet feature. People at college, uni, school (like me) have no interest in paying extorcionate amounts of money on interent features and surfing if your on a Pay As You Go tariff..... its stupid...

But i do have reason to believe that the 6th Generation iPod will be out before christmas...

You see, i've been doing 2 pieces of GCSE coursework on Apple (love them to bits) and i got one of their annual reports, or quarterly reports for 2007, and it said something along the lines of "iPod: We intend to release 3 new iPods in the 2007 season"

Dunno... might mean something...

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ

I wouldn't hold my breath if i were you, Bartelby, i think the US Holiday Season will take precedence over iPhone hype in foreign markets. Keeping technological innovation high to impress US consumers forms strength within the company. Short term goals of new iPods and holiday sales will likely outweigh the overall success of the iPhone in foreign markets as I see it since more iPods will sell than iPhones for gifts.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
If you are waiting for a new iPod, maybe the best thing to do would be to get a refurbished iPod right now, and sell it when the new one really does come out.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
The main iPod update is long overdue; in October it will be 2 years since the 5G was launched.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
The longer we wait for a new iPod, the better it might be. Apple could and should be developing a multitouch iPod, and essentially make it an iPhone without the phone. 2 years is quite old for a product, even if there is the 5.5 Gen. My original video is aging quite nicely, and really doesn't look too bad (just don't look at the back). Come on Apple, give us new iPods, the iPhone wont sell enough to make up for the iPods that could have been.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
The longer we wait for a new iPod, the better it might be. Apple could and should be developing a multitouch iPod, and essentially make it an iPhone without the phone. 2 years is quite old for a product, even if there is the 5.5 Gen. My original video is aging quite nicely, and really doesn't look too bad (just don't look at the back). Come on Apple, give us new iPods, the iPhone wont sell enough to make up for the iPods that could have been.

A multitouch ipod would sell faster than freakin fried chicken.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can't imagine it being any time around the iPhone launch. Apple have already delayed Leopard for it. It seems like they'll want to get everyone focused on the iPhone. iPod? I say late 07, early 08. Not for a while yet.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
If you are waiting for a new iPod, maybe the best thing to do would be to get a refurbished iPod right now, and sell it when the new one really does come out.

I already have a 1st Gen iPod nano (black), but I was in the market for a new iPod with larger capacity. I managed to get the 30GB model in black from PC World (UK retailer) for only £148 brand new - RRP £179.

However, I'm seriously tempted to return it with all this talk of new iPod's coming out, and the fact that the model is 2 years old! Does time pass that quickly?! JeeWiz!

--
brill

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Yeh it's gonna be worth the wait when they are released. Biggest leap up yet for the iPod.

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
In sept, like last time.

Right after student promo ends...maybe a little later like October

That is kinda what I was thinking but Im really unsure this year because of the iPhone.... I don't know if I can wait it out or not

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
There is no way it will be announced before June 29th (duh), or in July or August for the double reason of the back to school free iPod promo and the hype that will still surround the iPhone (post-friday reviews, news stories on lines, new stories on iPhone related crime etc, sales figures, so on and so forth).

However there is no way Apple can be planning to coast through the holiday season on the iPhone and a 2+ year old product. They will have to bring out a new model or at least a minor update (like last year) to generate a bit of hype and get kids to ask their parents for the new big thing. My guess is that we will see it released in late September or early October with almost imediate availability (none of this 6 month iPhone buildup junk) so Apple can capitalize on the holiday season and have something to brag about at Macworld.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Other than a touch-screen, what are some updates that Apple can do with the iPod? Bigger screen maybe? Flash-based hard drive?

My fiance and I decided to wait until around October to get into the iPhone but if Apple releases an iPod with a bigger screen and such, I might be tempted to stick through with my Treo and get the iPod.

papadopolis1024

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
With the iPod sales slowly dropping they are going to need to pull something out of there pockets soon. I KNOW steve sees these dropping iPod sales and is wanting to pull the new iPod out of his pockets sooner rather than later. I say september is the earliest time we might see and latest january.

EDIT: also I say the next iPod will not have multi touch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.