6GB in MacBook (Pro); Yes it works. - 8GB... well...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ayeying, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

That's BS, it wouldn't void the warrantee.

It's GB, btw, not MB ;)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A manufacturer's specs say a certain maximum so they can only guarantee up to said maximum; it has nothing to do with what will void the warranty or not.

So if Apple said 2GB and you install 4GB and it doesn't work, they have no responsibility since they said it can support up to 2GB. Same thing here with 4GB; they say that and you use 8GB and it doesn't work, tough luck. Now if they said 4GB and 4GB doesn't work they would be in trouble.

I hope that clears it up.

3. nephilim7 macrumors regular

alohaod have you, or do you plan to verify this information? So far all I see are 'yeah I put it in and see 8G and I can kinda push it but don't know' as far as vms using that memory there is a difference between allocation and using.

I'd trust your take on it, and order the same day.

4. PostTribber macrumors member

What is Ram?

'baby don't hurt me...don't hurt me...no more.' ;)

5. fireloss macrumors member

So, with 6 or 8GB in the MBP, do all the programs run without problems when more than 4GB is utilized? There are very confusing reports from everyone, and I'd love to have a conclusive answer.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm confused what do you mean verify? I'm just explaining that the "maximum" advertised is not always the maximum possible, but what is guaranteed possible by the manufacturer. My main point was going over 8GB does not void your warranty; nothing in line of whether or not it will work.

7. ibejohn818 macrumors newbie

8. nephilim7 macrumors regular

What I meant to ask was 'do you plan on buying 8G and installing it'?

my faith in the reports thus far are about 20%, if you report it as working I would take that as a 100%.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

What are you having difficulty with? It takes 8 gigs, and it does not crash if you exceed 4 gigs.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

11. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I have yet to see a report from anyone I deem credible. Sure you pop in it, sure it shows as 8G... did apple cripple the memory controller? will the OS actually refuse to let you use. Your other thread says that it slows down dramatically as you approach 4g used... I use photoshop on a macpro wih 8 gigs and I can edit a 1.5 gig file without slowdown.

$300 is a lot of money to spend on the advice of 'I think it works but I can't seem to use that much no matter how many apps are open'

if I could get my hands on a pair for 10 minutes I could verify it easily. actually if you really want to test it out... I can write an quick console app that allocates 6.5G writes to it and reads from it..

I would seriously benefit from 8G in my portable.. being able to render huge pointclouds all in memory would seriously rock.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you want to email it to me, I'll run it.

13. nephilim7 macrumors regular

sent you pm, I'll do it up tonight after work.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh I see; you mean the two sticks that are arriving on Monday? :D

And I just checked NewEgg and they discontinued selling the 4GB sticks; they now only sell 8GB kits.

15. nephilim7 macrumors regular

memory pig

k it's finished... initially I tried to grab wired mem but RLIMITS had something to say about that... instead just made a stupid big array

posting it here for a test binary for anyone that wants to use it..

er unless the forums are smart enough to stop me =/ source is below.. PM with email for binary

name is piggy.. it's a console app (run it in terminal) I didn't do any command line options or anything fancy.. every instance of this app grabs on to exactly 1G, writes out data to the array, reads it back, and then holds onto it until you press enter.

if you want to grab more than one gig, run multiple copies while leaving the other ones open... easiest way is to open multiple terminals.. have a tool like activity monitor open and on the mem tab..

if you want to test 8 gigs I'd regard a normal usable system with 5 of these instances running a success..

please post your results.

here is the source

// piggy - for eating up a gig of yummy memory
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

class pig
    {
    public:
    int hi[268435456];

};

int main()
    {

cout << "hi there... allocating one gig..." << endl;
    pig * Piggy = new pig;

for(int i = 0;i<268435456;i++)
    {
    Piggy->hi = 5;
    }

cout << "grabbed one gig, checking it..." << endl;

for (int i = 0;i<268435456;i++)
    {
    if (Piggy->hi != 5)
    {
    cout << "corruption! exiting" << endl;
    return 1;
    }
    }

cout << "memory written to and read successfully." << endl;
    cout << "holding memory until you hit enter..." << endl;
    cin.get();
    delete Piggy;
    return 0;
    }

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Perhaps I'm not invoking gcc correctly. Here's the output in terminal after 'gcc pig.c':

caveman% gcc pig.c
    pig.c:4:20: error: iostream: No such file or directory
    pig.c:6: error: syntax error before ‘namespace’
    pig.c:6: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    pig.c:8: error: syntax error before ‘pig’
    pig.c:9: error: syntax error before ‘{’ token
    pig.c: In function ‘main’:
    pig.c:19: error: ‘cout’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    pig.c:19: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    pig.c:19: error: for each function it appears in.)
    pig.c:19: error: ‘endl’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    pig.c:20: error: ‘pig’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    pig.c:20: error: ‘Piggy’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    pig.c:20: error: ‘new’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    pig.c:20: error: syntax error before ‘pig’
    pig.c:22: error: ‘for’ loop initial declaration used outside C99 mode
    pig.c:29: error: redefinition of ‘i’
    pig.c:22: error: previous definition of ‘i’ was here
    pig.c:29: error: ‘for’ loop initial declaration used outside C99 mode
    pig.c:40: error: ‘cin’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    pig.c:41: error: ‘delete’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    pig.c:41: error: syntax error before ‘Piggy’

Can you clarify its compilation?

17. nephilim7 macrumors regular

oh sorry, use g++

g++ piggy.c -o piggy

18. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Edit: OK, sorry, I forgot the +x has to go in front of the app name. Got it running in 5 shells at the moment. Now just wait? What should I expect? A completely erased hard drive? :)

Edit 2: OK, I think I see. My memory in Activity monitor is going up. My fans have come on too...

That didn't work, either. I also got your binary by email. I put it in its own directory, then did a 'chmod piggy +x' but it would not let me change it. Is there another way to set it to execute?

19. nephilim7 macrumors regular

try chmod +x piggy

20. nephilim7 macrumors regular

oh I wouldn't be that cruel...

open up 5 of em let em just sit there for a bit and let me know if you can still use the machine.. if you watch memory usage you'll see each of them using 1g real mem

21. nephilim7 macrumors regular

keep in mind, I *want* this to succeed.

22. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, got 'em going. Just passed 2.5 gb of Used memory in Activity Monitor and it's continuing to increase. Both of my cores are pegged at the top. You should rename this app from 'piggy' to 'fansallthewayonandprocessormaxedout', or something more descriptive.

Seems responsive otherwise (i.e., moving and resizing windows).

23. nephilim7 macrumors regular

hmm it shouldn't be using any proc at all when sitting at the 'press enter' prompt.. the behavior from running one or two should be totally normal (still under 4g) .. running another few at this point would put you into swap/paging if OS X isn't using that memory which is what it looks like it's doing.. if the 8gigs were being used you should be able to run 5 just as easily as 2 if that makes sense.

play with it.. with 4gigs you can safely run 2 or 3 of them... no fans or proc.. with 8 gigs you should be able to run more like 5 or 6 without noticing.

er.. unless it' was still allocating all 5 at once.. that might make it chug.. leave em open and see if it stabilizes. or... run them one at a time.. waiting until the allocation is done before going to the next

24. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

OK, it's still running 'piggy' in the 5 terminal windows and total Used memory is 4.5 gb and climbing. I am able to do other tasks without any issues. Both cores are still maxed out and the fans are blowin'. How long should I let it go?

25. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you're swapping. check your pagein/pageouts in the memory section of activity monitor, it should be a trivial number.

is there a lot of disk activity?