Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hi all, like the title says: 6s battery goes from 100% to 1% in minutes. So the battery needs replacement. But the system settings / battery / battery health shows 84%. Howzat?
This iPhone was purchased as refurb so I can't tell if the battery is original.

Safety?
This iphone is scheduled for replacement in may 2022 (7 months from now). Is it considered safe to keep using it, with a powerbank tied to it to last throughout the day? Or can the battery explode / release toxic gasses?

Thanks!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Is the battery starting to expand? If not then get the battery service replacement until you can get a new device…

Tmacc47

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
I'd pay the money to get a new battery. My 6s battery health is at 93 percent and it's awful!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If the front glass isn’t being pressed off and bulging up, the battery isn’t swelling. Swelling is usually caused by over charging.
Just because a lithium ion battery can’t hold charge like it used to doesn’t necessarily mean it’s hazardous use.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Sounds like something might not be connected right. A new battery could solve it if it's installed right, as well as improve that capacity.

Reactions: Tmacc47

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Since it was bought refurb by 3rd party, I'd assume it's just a bad 3rd party battery. Best bet is to just replace the battery, and a trusty shop will be able to tell you if it has a genuine battery or not.

Using a phone tied to a powerbank is possible, but do you really want to do that? It defeats having a portable phone to begin with (unless you have those battery cases). If you really must use the phone for another 7 months, just replace the battery. Many 3rd parties can do it as parts for these older iPhones are aplenty.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks to you all for your input! Certainly no sings of swelling. Also: I figured since the "battery health" actually gives a reading, it should be still the original OEM Apple battery, but not sure if this assumption holds true.

We just found a family member that is interested to take the phone off our hands next year, so I'm taking the device to our local phone shop to get a new battery.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
IMG_3957.jpeg
IMG_3958.jpeg

For anyone interested: this is the battery that emerged from the iPhone 6s. It appears to be Apple original, date stamped 2013. Quite peculiar as this model was announced in 2015.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.