iPhone 6(S)(+) 6s still good for teens?

stellad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Is it still worthwhile to buy a 6s? I was thinking of buying an iPhone for my teen for Christmas but want to get one that is good or good enough. Or would investing over twice as much into an 8 be a better choice? Thanks for any input.

bimmahh

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
I'd suggest an Apple refurbed 7.. its an aluminum back so less risk of breaking.. and I assume like your teen mine is just chatting/email/text.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Is it still worthwhile to buy a 6s? I was thinking of buying an iPhone for my teen for Christmas but want to get one that is good or good enough. Or would investing over twice as much into an 8 be a better choice? Thanks for any input.
Well, a 6s+ is good enough for me and has been for the last three plus years. I'm 48.

Same with my wife who is 52 and has a 6s.

Two years ago I got a 4s for my son for $20. 8GB. He later updated to my wife's old 64GB iPhone 5 and last year we got him an iPhone SE 64GB for his birthday.

My son is 15.

stellad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Well, a 6s+ is good enough for me and has been for the last three plus years. I'm 48.

Same with my wife who is 52 and has a 6s.

Two years ago I got a 4s for my son for $20. 8GB. He later updated to my wife's old 64GB iPhone 5 and last year we got him an iPhone SE 64GB for his birthday.

My son is 15.
Thank you! I like to hear this. I just didn’t want to buy two of them and they were slow like technology can get when it’s past it’s prime.

Reactions: eyoungren

travelsheep

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2013
Depends weather it's a spoiled brat living in Hampstead Heath/London UK, or a family living in the slums of Agbogbloshie/Ghana Africa, where the 6S (and any other phone) will eventually end up.

Reactions: rmoliv

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
I’d say a 6S or a 7 would be a great device for a teen. They’ll be supported for a couple more years and haven’t lost much performance since released.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Here's what you should do: Check how much a 6s is. If they want an iPhone 8, make them safe their money, and add the price of the 6s to their savings. Believe me, the phone will last a lot longer if they had to save their own money for it.

Reactions: millerj123

stellad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. The 6s sounds like a good choice. Their next phone they can save for the newest model if they want. Thanks!

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Does the teen have a job and pay their portion of the bill?

If not they should be thankful. Maybe I’m old fashioned. I’m 38 and didn’t have a phone until I had a job and paid my own bills at 18.

I know when my kid gets one it will be the iPhone SE I have put aside and that will be going into middle school. Which is what our group of parents all agreed on so there is no “but she got a phone” fights

FredGalaxy

Suspended
Nov 13, 2018
I purchased an XS Max and still use my 6 on a regular basis. I’m 23 so your teen should not frown upon it!

Or any iPhone they receieve for that matter... They are lucky they are in a position to be given an iPhone in the first place :) I’m sure yours will be plenty grateful, though

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Here's what you should do: Check how much a 6s is. If they want an iPhone 8, make them safe their money, and add the price of the 6s to their savings. Believe me, the phone will last a lot longer if they had to save their own money for it.
Does the teen have a job and pay their portion of the bill?

If not they should be thankful. Maybe I’m old fashioned. I’m 38 and didn’t have a phone until I had a job and paid my own bills at 18.

I know when my kid gets one it will be the iPhone SE I have put aside and that will be going into middle school. Which is what our group of parents all agreed on so there is no “but she got a phone” fights
This is why my son only got an 8GB iPhone 4s when he was 13 with a 2GB data line.

We gave him a phone at that age because I go one way to work, my wife goes another and at the time my two kids went to the same school. We needed to be able to get a hold of him.

He was told that if he did okay, in a year we'd upgrade him. He did very well and so in 6 months he got my wife's iPhone 5 and I increased his line to 6GB.

By his 14th birthday there had been zero issues. He's an 'A' student in a STEAM school and has never lost his phone to the teacher. So, we got him an iPhone SE brand new.

He is still doing well. I have the old 4s now, my daughter has my wife's old 5 (no cellular and it stays at home because she's 10). A year later and there has been zero issues with him and the phone.

My point is that each child is different and you have to judge. There is no way in hell I am giving my daughter a cellular enabled phone right now. Probably not even until she's 16 or so. She isn't responsible yet.

However, I would just add that my son has had a laptop since he was 5 (and my daughter since she was 7 or 8). That's meant that they didn't really miss a phone. That said, lest anyone think the laptops are where I made up for old phones…well the first one was an iBook G3 with a bad airport antenna. Next was a PowerBook G4 TiBook and an Aluminum PowerBook G4 with a bad ram slot. My son's current laptop is a 9 year old Thinkpad with Windows 7.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
My daughter uses a 6s and my son uses an SE (same intervals). Both work very well. The 6s was mine, then went to my wife, and now my daughter. In all honesty, I really can’t see a significant speed different between the 6s and my X. Teenagers break and lose things, so mine don’t get the latest and greatest unless they pay for it themselves.

Tmacc47

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
I’m 23 and I just bought a 6s at cricket wireless, 99 bucks for Black Friday. It’s perfect and does everything I need it to do. Plus it has a headphone jack and no glass back!

Reactions: David G.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Depends on how long you'd like them to keep it I guess. Is the cost difference between the 6S and a 7 or 8 low enough to justify the leap given it will have an extra year or so of updates?

As of today- sure, it's a fine device.

Tmacc47

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
Depends on how long you'd like them to keep it I guess. Is the cost difference between the 6S and a 7 or 8 low enough to justify the leap given it will have an extra year or so of updates?

As of today- sure, it's a fine device.
The 6s was $99 and the 7 was $349. 1 year newer isn’t enough to justify a $250 upcharge.

mlody

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Where are you planning to buy the phone? How much are you willing to py for it?

My older daughter is still using 6s and besides the battery crapping out again, it is still a good phone.

While the phone is still ok, I would question if it is actually a good buy at this point. If you need to spend at least $200 on to get 6si would save the money and for $150 more get refurbished iPhone 7

FeliApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2015
I am using a 6s perfectly. Performance is great, battery life is great too, and the device does everything I want it to.
Now, mine is on iOS 9. Is probably why the battery life is so good. If you decide to get it, don't update it and you'll be fine for years to come.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have a 6s that I use as a backup phone (a 7 is my daily driver). Every time I use it I am always impressed at how well it runs. I haven’t tried any of the newer phones (X onwards), but the 6s is still plenty fast and I could easily go back to using it every day if I needed to.

Mine is running iOS 12 and I wouldn’t be afraid of updating. It runs very smoothly with no problems at all. There is also an SE and a 5th gen iPad in the house, which I believe both have nearly the identical internals to the 6s, and they all work equally as well on iOS 12.

FeliApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2015
I have a 6s that I use as a backup phone (a 7 is my daily driver). Every time I use it I am always impressed at how well it runs. I haven’t tried any of the newer phones (X onwards), but the 6s is still plenty fast and I could easily go back to using it every day if I needed to.

Mine is running iOS 12 and I wouldn’t be afraid of updating. It runs very smoothly with no problems at all. There is also an SE and a 5th gen iPad in the house, which I believe both have nearly the identical internals to the 6s, and they all work equally as well on iOS 12.
Yes, iOS 12 works perfectly - barring a woeful battery life, but that's another discussion. Now, looking towards the future, it almost certainly will not be a good idea to update it any further. Battery life is already worse, and performance can only go downhill from here, if iOS 12's exception doesn't become the norm - which, sadly, I assume will be the case.

adrianlondon

macrumors 68000
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Despite all the complaints about "planned obsolescence", the 6S works extremely well with iOS12. It's what I have, although I don't play games on it. Not only that, if the battery isn't 100% there's a cheap replacement offer with Apple until the end of the year, so get that done.