7.3 earthquake hits Haiti.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Jan 12, 2010.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A 7.3-magnitude earthquake which struck off the coast of Haiti is feared to have caused major loss of life in and around the capital, Port-au-Prince.

Haiti's envoy to the US said it was a "catastrophe of major proportions".
    Buildings, including a hospital, are said to have collapsed, and rescue efforts are under way.

The quake, which struck about 15km (10 miles) south-west of the capital, was quickly followed by two strong aftershocks of 5.9 and 5.5 magnitude.

The tremor hit at 1653 (2153 GMT), the US Geological Survey said. Phone lines to the country failed shortly afterwards.

A Reuters reporter in Port-au-Prince said he had seen "dozens of dead and injured people" in the rubble of fallen buildings.

Karel Zelenka, a Catholic Relief Services representative in Port-au-Prince, told colleagues in the US "there must be thousands of people dead".

The aid worker had managed to phone his colleagues before communication links went down.

The BBC's Nick Davies in neighbouring Jamaica says the ground apparently shook for more than a minute in Haiti.

Local people, he said, were using anything they could get their hands on - including farm equipment - to help release those trapped in the quake.

Our correspondent adds that, as the poorest country in the western hemisphere, Haiti is likely to need international aid in order to cope with the quake's impact.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8455629.stm

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya I'm sure it doesn't take much to destroy everything there. A 7.3 would be total devastation.

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

A 7.3 is horrible anywhere, but Haiti of all places...damn. :(

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is incredible the amount of damage. I guess their Port-au-Prince tower is badly damaged and they cannot take flights. :( All sad.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I took a plane ride over the country while I was in the Dominican, all I can say is I hope that foreign governments respond appropriately.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that is just a total catastrophe. I hope that aid gets there as soon as possible.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/world/americas/14haiti.html

9. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Having lived through a 7.6 over ten years ago, I remember 17,000 dead and the utter devastation - my heart goes out to the people of Haiti.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Death toll underestimated

What a horror.

BBC

Sometimes your heart just breaks…
    [​IMG]

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

I know Haiti well. Port au Prince has long been a disaster waiting to happen. Contruction standards are basically non-existent...the vast majority of the buildings, especially the homes, are non-reinforced cinder block.

The biggest problem is that emergency services are simply non-existent. No fire department, no search-and-rescue capability. I've had emails from my friends in the north, in Cap Haitien and the Central Plateau and they are OK, but I also have many friends and colleagues in Port au Prince and haven't heard a word. Cell phone service throughout the country all backhauls to Port au Prince to hit the undersea cable to Jamaica and DigiCell's switching facility is down.

This is awful. Those poor people. So unfair to heap this challenge on their already-desperate lives.

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I just heard a report saying they were stacking the bodies up near a fallen home. Pretty devastating...

13. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Haiti earthquake

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/cb_haiti_earthquake

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It's sad that the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere should have such a tragedy. They are least able to cope with it.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry but no one can cope with anything like this. Haiti was hit by a hurricane in 2009 and now this. Third world countries do not cope with this sort of thing, it seems so because you don't see it on the news, but reality begs to differ.

16. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

<CNN>

17. Hmac macrumors 68020

Yes, they knew they were at risk for an earthquake. Didn't really matter, though, there was nothing they could do about it.

18. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Is the US still on bad diplomatic terms with Haiti since that whole Voo Doo curse thing against Clinton years back? Just curious.

19. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Reports say that casualties could reach 500,000.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If people wish to help out by donating I've found a reputable organization called the Haitian Health Foundation

They are in your state MacNut.

My heart goes out to these poor people who are in desperate need of help.

21. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Apparently, that's eased. US President Obama has already promised aid.

There are already at least two "Text xxxxx to xxxxx" donation programs set up-- one by the Red Cross, the other by Yele Haiti, a charity run by musician Wyclef Jean (a Haitian immigrant himself). Details of those programs can be found on lots of Twitter feeds.

MSNBC.com has a slideshow of the devastation as well. It includes the picture you've shown, and I must unfortunately report that the collection has even sadder photos.

22. timerollson macrumors 65816

Does the $ from these text charities get donated immediately? And is it getting funneled through political hands? I'm a bit wary of this text to donate thing as I want 100% going into the hands of the people who need it.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would donate to the Red Cross. That is what I'm going to do.

24. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'll add one other relief organization for your consideration:

Project Haiti
    123 Minnesota Avenue South
    Aitkin Minnesota 56431

Project Haiti is a 501(C)3 organization (donations are tax deductible) whose main function has been infrastructure improvement, education, and medical care for almost 20 years. Everyone associated with Project Haiti (myself included) does so without pay and even expenses come out-of-pocket. Every single dime contributed goes to Haiti.

25. timerollson macrumors 65816

Good stuff. Thanks.