72 Hours First scratch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleZombie, Oct 8, 2017.

1. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

And its deep enough that its going to permanently stay on the watch. This sucks. Anyone know what the price of replacing the screen is?

Attached Files:

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Do you have AppleCare+ on it? If you do it will be $69 + tax. Without AppleCare+ it would be $229 + tax. They just swap the watch for a replacement that is new or equivalent to new.

LTE - $289 + tax
    SS - $329 + tax

Dave

4. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

5. AppleZombie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its aluminum. No Apple Care as I just got it and didnt add it. Man I should have. Only good thingis its not noticeable in the dark.

I banged it on the kitchen granite and bam... scratch

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Wow. Didn’t realize it was that cheap to replace with AC. The cost of AC is only $50 isn’t it? Much more worth it imo than AC on iPhones then.

7. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

There was a post on here a few weeks talking about how aluminum/sport was better. This is why I go with stainless. To each their own. I like the price of sport models but working outside I just think the extra cost is worth the investment for myself. I'm sure people will talk about whether or not its ethical but you can always add AppleCare if its within 30 days I believe. Then you can give it some time then if its still bothering you swap it out, or wait for it to get another one.

8. AppleZombie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its within 60 days. But I dont feel right getting it after the fact. I bought one of those screen protectors and hopefully the sticky can fill in the scratch. It’s really not noticeable unless its in direct sunlight. Live and learn

9. Ixidor macrumors regular

I could be completely wrong but I don’t think scratches count as “accidental damage” since it is classified as regular wear and tear, so AC+ may not cover it.

10. co1f, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

co1f macrumors regular

$289 w/o applecare?!? WTF?!? Wow!

60 days is what the Apple store told me when I purchased. And they said you have to take it into the store to have it verified.

I like the weight, screen brightness and seemingly more noticeable haptics with the aluminum (due to less weight), so may have to think about getting AC b4 my 60 days.

[edit] Just purchased AC online. It ran some remote diag. Funny that it wouldn’t take Apple Pay; I had to whip out my visa.

11. edhchoe, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

Whats the return policy say?
    If you are not 100% satisfied you should return it.
    Sapphire might have been shattered in the same situation.
    Get Apple care if you are not sure if you can take care of it.
    I never get extra coverage on anything. It is like insurance. They make money on people who do not use it which would be me.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's unfortunate. The Ion-X Glass is durable, but granite would easily scratch it with contact. Although, there is a protected oleophobic coating Over the Apple Watch, which helps against minor scratches, but eventually wears off.

What I would try to do is if you decide not to repair the dislay, is use a microfiber cloth and try to buff the scratch out. Then apply a screen protector, which should almost completely conceal the scratch.

13. AppleZombie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah Im going to find a polisher and try to work it out as much as possible and then add the screen protector.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Take a looks this Post/thread. This member was in the same position as you with the aluminum Watch and used a screen protector and it made a huge difference concealing the scratch. Good luck.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/scratches-on-watch.2043825/#post-24555171

15. AppleZombie thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You can still get AppleCare. It hasn’t been 60 days yet. It’s not a crack, just a scratch. I bet Apple themselves wouldn’t even have an issue with it.

17. zaxdude macrumors 6502

Did ya buy it in full with a credit card? Many credit cards cover accidental damage for a short period of time following purchase...30, 60, 90 days. Might be worth a try.

18. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

Just return it and buy a new one. I think Apple can handle it.

19. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

Your story is precisely why the first thing I'm doing is getting the Zagg glass protector for the watch... as soon as I take it out of the box today.

I work in a metal fab shop... metal everywhere. On shelves, on pallets... too easy to run into it and scratch.

Good luck with the fix.

20. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

This is one good reason to go with the SS and get the sapphire crystal. I wore mine hard for two years, yard work and such... the crystal looked perfect still.

21. MarcMller macrumors regular

I had this happen on my S0 and called apple and they actually replaced mine for free. They say everyone has one complimentary replacement. I had to pay for the full price of the watch on hold until i sent my old one back. Ever since then I've had a screen protector on the watch screen and Ive hit it pretty hard and never have any issues... highly recommend a cover for the watch.. can barely even tell its on.

22. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

Yep... as said that's the first thing I'm doing today... and I mean first thing as in I'm opening the box right in front of the guy who is putting the protector on it.

It's the same Zagg protector that is on my 8 Plus and iPad Pro... and you can't tell that either of them have a glass protector on. I'm expecting nothing less for the watch too.

Invisible protection is the best protection. :)

23. MarcMller macrumors regular

Honestly I went with a 6 pack off amazon for like $10. You'd be surprised how easy the screen protector gets dirty or the corners start coming up. I went through almost all 6 in about 1.5 years.. not too bad. Just saying this for anyone who is about to spend a lot on a known brand protector.. i can post pictures of the pack i bought and how it looks on my s3 since release day.. i put it on same day i opened it.

24. AppleZombie thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just got protectors and places them on the screen. Honestly its not the same as without the protector but it does it’s job. The scratch covered up pretty good.

I also contacted Apple Support and they advised me to get Apple Care right now and the. Take it to an Apple Store for replacement. I am going to get Apple Care but will not take it in until I have other damage. I can live with the scratch for now.