75% of Early iPad Purchasers Already Own an iPad, Early-Adopter Upgrade Cycle Around 23 Months

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    According to a survey by PiperJaffray, 75 percent of U.S. iPad Air purchasers on launch day already owned an iPad, compared to only 58 percent for last year's iPad mini launch.

Gene Munster, a PiperJaffray analyst, believes the U.S. market may be getting slightly more saturated.

Surveying 71 day-one iPad buyers, Munster found that the early-adopter upgrade cycle is around 23 months, significantly shorter than the general public's upgrade cycle of 30 months. Also, the average capacity purchased today was 59.7GB versus 40.5GB for the 3rd-generation iPad launch.
    With Apple likely selling millions of iPads this weekend, PiperJaffray's survey of 71 buyers is a small fraction but the broader trends could be consistent with the larger U.S. market. 1 in 5 of today's buyers picked up the 128GB iPad Air, while a 94 percent of buyers said they owned an iPhone.

The iPad Air still remains in stock on the Apple Online Store with nearly all configurations available to ship within 24 hours.

Article Link: 75% of Early iPad Purchasers Already Own an iPad, Early-Adopter Upgrade Cycle Around 23 Months

2. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I don't know why, but the fact that a quarter of early iPad purchasers don't already own an iPad seems surprisingly high.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

The very general trend is probably correct, but a sample size of 71 seems awfully small to get an accurate statistical representation of the trends involved here. It's not small enough to be anecdotal, but I'm willing to bet the error bars are pretty big (especially if the distribution wasn't geographically broad).

I'm just disappointed that my statistics class was long enough ago that I don't remember how to calculate this properly from an estimated population of, say, a million or two buyers.

4. hdaboliv macrumors newbie

Yes

Give me the 46.666666666666667 GB model please

5. Dizzay macrumors newbie

I'm tempted to get a T-Mobile one just because the free 200mb of data. Unless this applies to previous iPads too, I think a lot of people might upgrade just for that option.

6. Teste macrumors 6502

In other words, the very very early adopters are more likely to be fanboys, who buy everything Apple makes and thus already had iPads.

This isn't new, but it's nice to have proof.

7. derekaw macrumors newbie

I got my Air yesterday

Replaced the original Retina iPad.
    I was going to get the Retina Mini as well when it comes out but the iPad air fits in one hand and I am not really seeing a need for the Mini now. Interesting.

When I showed the Air to my partner he asked if I got the Mini instead.

8. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I used to have a lot of respect for Gene Munster, but over the past year or so I've come to the conclusion that he derives a lot of his "intelligence" from his rectum.

9. calvol macrumors 6502a

Don't think this bodes well for future sales of iPad if the majority are repeat buyers. Apple needs new buyers to make this product cycle a success.

10. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Do this same survey again in 3 weeks when everyone is holiday gift shopping and the numbers change drastically. If you're getting an iPad as a gift, you likely don't already have one.

11. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I love my iPad 2. But none of the iPads after it have been worthy enough for me to upgrade to.

12. Chalkperson macrumors member

I did the same, but I still see myself using the existing mini for writing, email, text etc on occasion, simply because it's a smaller device and is lighter. The non Retna aspect never bothered me as I use the mini for different reasons.

Besides I got $250 from Gazelle for my old iPad, so the upgrade was only $350 for a 64GB model. Plus a new cover of course...

13. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Yes, but only if it were broad.

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

If a retina display isn't enough to make you consider upgrading, you'll likely be rocking that iPad 2 forever. In a device like a tablet where the display is 90% of the experience, I can't imagine what else you would want Apple to focus on.

15. gatearray macrumors 65816

It's even worse when you consider that this survey was most likely conducted by standing outside of the Apple Store (maybe 5th Ave in NYC) and asking customers holding an Apple bag with a new iPad in it what their deal was. :rolleyes:

16. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I can't believe people take anything Gene Munster says seriously.

17. portishead macrumors 65816

This story is useless. Just add it as a footnote to some other iPad story.

18. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I'm an ipad 1,2 and 3 user. I use my MBA more than my iPad, but I may upgrade to the retina mini. It's just too hard to type on the full size iPad.

19. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

At some point, people have confused the word fanboy with satisfied customers.

20. Casiotone macrumors 6502a

Casiotone

You can try this sample size calculator there : http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html

With a population of 5 million, an margin of error of 5% and confidence level of 95% the minimum sample size would be 385. Surveys typically target 3% of margin of error, which would bring the minimum sample size to 1067.

So yeah, this sample is way too small to be used as a headline like this.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I wonder how many people are owners of hand-me-down iPads and have never bought one of their own. The number must be growing pretty rapidly. Do any consumer surveys try to track this?

22. SusanK macrumors 68000

iPad Air is very nice

Played with it at Apple today. Very impressive. I would have brought one home if the Notes app was easier on the eyes. The harsh bright white background of Notes was the dealbreaker.

I'm not a huge iOS 7 fan but I could definitely use it if Notes was the old style. I sent feedback to Apple suggesting it be considered as an accessibility option. Not real hopeful but nothing to lose.

The iPad Air is really something. Check it out.

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Apple's notes app was a deal breaker for you? Wow. I think I could deal with that and probably find something better in the App Store.

24. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

Rather cynical. It's time to upgrade my trusty iPad1 and I had a play with the Air today and I will be getting one. The fact I can recoup some of the purchase cost by selling the old one is fantastic. Win-Win.

25. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

It's funny how Apple knows more about the market than people here on the forum. Delaying the mini was a good idea it looks like. More margins. Gold iPhone was a good move. 5c is a cash boon.

Glad the computer chair critics here aren't in charge.