Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095748-touchscreen_apple_tv_remote.jpg

Boy Genius Report claims that it has received an image of a product mockup for a forthcoming touchscreen remote that may be launched alongside an updated Apple TV. While the mockup appears to show a rather sophisticated (and likely costly) device that initially seems hard to believe, the report notes that the source providing the image is the same one who accurately offered information on iTunes 9's iPhone home screen organization and social networking features.
It seems a little far-fetched that this unit's only purpose would be to control an Apple TV, and you can even see a Safari option on the mockup. To be honest, it looks like a touch screen iPod nano, just longer. We're going to dig a little bit and see what we can find, but we figured we'd run this with a high dose of caution for informational purposes.
Apple earlier this month reconfigured its Apple TV offerings, eliminating the 40 GB model and dropping the price of the 160 GB model to $229.

Article Link: Touchscreen Remote for Apple TV?

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Indeed a dedicated touchscreen remote device seems overkill. But perhaps a dedicated device similar to this mockup was used to test the remote application that might be part of another more robust and super secret product. Could it be? Could it be? :D

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Is this really needed? most apple TV users I would guess hav a Iphone or Ipod touch. I see no deed to useIr if you al reddy have wifi

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Maybe it works with all computers too...

The volume slider seems way too low on the device, looks bad and would be even worse when using it.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I just was looking at a preview of the Chocolate at (Gizmodo?) .

This looks a whole lot like that.

darnovo

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
i am quite certain that apple said they were updating their remote that comes with everything... my guess is that this is real and is a small nano sized ipod touch that only has the ability to control the computer / apple tv... for instance the safari button doesnt launch safari on the device but on the computer or what not

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
The only way I could see Apple doing this is if it was a full home theater remote to compete with Harmony and others. But it still seems unlikely. Especially, when you already have awesome control of the ATV via the iPhone/iPod Touch.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Is this really needed? most apple TV users I would guess hav a Iphone or Ipod touch. I see no deed to useIr if you al reddy have wifi
I've got an iPhone *and* an iPod Touch, both with the Remote app configured to run my Apple TV. The last thing I need is *another* remote, no matter how cool it is.

Now, here's what I'd like to see: Logitech and Apple get together and make a Harmony remote app that runs on the iPhone/iPod Touch and talks to a WiFi remote extender module so you can control your entire home theatre system. That would be cool.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I got one already... well, my Logitech Harmony One has a touch screen and I can control my AppleTV with it.:D

dwhittington

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2007
Houston, TX
Meanwhile, at the Hershey company meeting...

One more thing.... we've made this beautiful new candy bar for electronics lovers and we're sending the first one to Steve Jobs.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Remember, Apple devlops a ton of concept devices that never see the light of day.

This very well could be a real secret snuck out of Apple HQ but it doesn't mean they're ever planning on selling it.

WG5516

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
C'mon guys, it's fake. It looks identical to the new Zune. Plus the photoshopping is horrible. Look at the top of the device and it's misaligned. *Goes to eat turkey sandwich*

MadCow42

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Think further...

If you extend your thinking a little, and imagine it also being a game controller (using the AppleTV as a game machine), it's not so far-fetched. It has about the right format to be a Wii-esque controller, although I personally find the lack of tactile input to be tough for gaming.

AppleTV's on my wish list, but I'm holding off until the next (if any) update. We'll see where this goes...

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
heh. probably fake, why bother anyways when you can buy a cheap touch and have the same thing? oh, i wish they would make better remote software. thank goodness for rowmote.. :)

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Personally I think its a fake. Also iirc the ipod touch can do the whole apple tv remote thing, why would they need a device when they can just sell an ipod touch (or an app) at a higher price, it would need to be around £50 to really be worthwhile over say a harmony 1 (£100 roughly) etc as that can control everything not just the apple tv.

idiosyncratic i

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2007
this seems like page 2 fodder. So very fake, for the reasons in the original post, and for all of the above reasons found in the replies. I'm sure apple is experimenting with more touch screen interfaces, but once you have the hardware required to make a touch screen remote, you basically have an ipod touch. Why not just sell one of those?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I like it. Been waiting for a sign that Apple's going to fight for the living room and I think this is truly it. A touchscreen remote? From Apple? Game on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.