Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moracity

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
I'm clearly not an anti-Apple zealot, I identified myself as AppleTV, multiple iPhone/iPod owner, and an Apple Fanboi.

I'll argue that only an Apple-zealot Fanboi who never sees anything wrong with an Apple product could call the AppleTV anything beyond "marginally useful as a media extender for iTunes."

This is only useful if all of your media is within iTunes, and in a format playable by the AppleTV. Only a geek would go to that effort. Meanwhile, competing products offer more functionality along with the ability to tap into your iTunes music library. Example, XBox 360 allows gaming, NetFlix, and you can tap into iTunes.

For the typical non-Geek, some Blu-Ray DVD player with NetFlix or Amazon built-in offers less expensive content that's easier to access, unless you're willing to rent and rip DVDs to iTunes, which most non-Geeks won't bother with.

It is NOT a "complete multimedia device" unless you hack it. You cannot watch TV on it, you cannot play a Blu-Ray DVD on it, you cannot play a standard DVD on it, you cannot play games on it, you cannot stream all-you-can-eat video on demand to it, you cannot surf the web, you cannot watch Hulu or do anything besides play iTunes music and video content unless you hack the thing.

I rarely use my AppleTV and found that adding a Mac Mini to the mix was a much more satisfying experience, for not a heck of a lot more money.

I'm glad you like the device, but you're clearly not part of Joe Public, you're an Apple loving geek, as evidenced by the fact that you read this site, if nothing else.

No argument there.

You are wrong in your thoughts regarding Joe Public. You have it completely backwards. Joe Public wants everything from one place. Apple created the iTunes Store to provide everything from one place. It's the geek who is torrenting everything, making streaming to aTV more complicated. Joe Public is not going to build an HTPC or turn a Mac Mini into one. Joe Public is gonna go to the Apple Store at the mall and say "I want to watch movies on my TV and play music through my home stereo." The employee will show him iTunes and AppleTV. He'll probably be shown how an iPhone or Touch can integrate into the experience. He'll walk out with an iMac and an Apple TV - and maybe a Touch. People who hang out in forums like this do not represent Joe Public.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
does anyone else see this thing as turning on its side and being a touch screen keyboard?

Edit: Oh, I guess so... 2 other posts already suggested it before mine. Darn, and I thought I had an original idea when I tried finding the word "Keyboard" on page one of the comments and got no results.

Well, now I'll combat the idea: such a device would be difficult to hold and type on. Thumb touch screen typing works nicely on the iPod Touch and iPhone because you can use your other 4 fingers to wrap around the back and hold it steady. But if this thing is a remote, you're not going to be setting it on a table like a normal keyboard or laptop and it looks too unwieldy to both type on and hold steady without a table.

Actually, without a reference device, we have no idea how big this thing is (if real of course). Maybe the font is small.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
What is that font? Verdana?!

Apple would never release anything that looked like that, and this would be much more believable if they had at least used Lucida Grande or (more likely) Helvetica Neue.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Is this really needed? most apple TV users I would guess hav a Iphone or Ipod touch. I see no deed to useIr if you al reddy have wifi

Ya this makes no sense. With the iPhone and iPod Touch and the remote app, as well as the tablet coming which I believe will be heavily integrated into the Apple TV and media, this does not fit in or make any sense at all! :rolleyes:

I say FAKE!!! :p

npm

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2002
Mockup!

For those saying this looks fake, the article clearly says this is a mockup! I am thinking he/she crudely mocked up what he was told or saw to get the idea across.

Setting aside the (potentially) new AppleTV, this remote device could offer simple and quick access to each area of the AppleTV/ Frontrow like Movies, TV Shows, Photos, etc... while the remote device held in portrait (pictured.) As others have mentioned, with an accelerometer, a QWERTY keyboard can be achieved while being held in landscape. The remote app for iPhoneOS already does this. If the gaming info is true, once again, there is a lot of potential for this device as a gaming controller. When the iPhone was announced, Steve clearly outlined the biggest benefit of a touchscreen device was the unlimited configurability.

My first concern is price and the premium it could bring to an accompanying device like an AppleTV or new Mac. A PS3/ Wii/ XBox controller is $30-$60 and I find it hard to imagine Apple pulling this off for that price. After all, for gaming most would want more than one controller. For a high end entertainment remote, there is a higher accepted price ceiling.

Apple could go the path of Wifi control by working with set-top box manufacturers to control networked boxes over WiFi. All of my DirecTV set-top boxes are networked and those with certain Dish, TiVo, Blu-ray players and even TV's could also jump in with networked control. There are already apps on the app store that do this for TiVo, so Apple could certainly take it further and with more partners.

For those that already have the iPhone and iPodtouch, I am hoping to see a new remote app that duplicates this functionality. Free?

As for the AppleTV itself, there is a possibility that I haven't seen mentioned and would be pretty cool. Apple could build the AppleTV software into a wireless media hub. The hub could have a large HDD and accept multiple HDMI/ component/ optical audio inputs on a transmitter and output one HDMI and optical on the receiver to the TV/ Audio Receiver. It could also include a network hub to connect boxes that can network like mentioned above. Also, the HDMI spec includes device control, so add that to the possible way for the new remote to control attached devices. With this setup all of the devices connect through the AppleTV. For me, that would be a DVR, PS3 and AppleTV. Rather than the AppleTV including all of these elements itself or being a display with AppleTV built-in, it uses the existing boxes as a supplement. If connected to a Blu-ray player it could store managed copies of movies for easy access. That would be killer! Some DVR's allow streaming and Apple could build in a streaming client them. For example, DirecTV does this for PC's already with DirecTV2PC and TiVo allows streaming and remote copies in various forms. Of course, there is always iTunes content available to fill in the gaps. Everything could simply run through the new AppleTV Hub and could potentially utilize their UI for all content. Otherwise it could simply pass the signal from each device, but the remote could still control each device.

For those that aren't aware, there is a Sony wireless HDMI (limited to 720p/1080i) system (Gefen also makes a good one that does 1080p) and it has 4 HDMI and 1 Component input. It transmits the signal to a small receiver that outputs one HDMI to the TV. The transmitter has minimal software and includes an unruly IR blaster. The remote controls my devices including the AppleTV. Apple could easily figure out a way to fit an HDD in a box the size of the Sony transmitter and turn hardware like this into a powerful living room solution. DMX-WL1 Wireless Video Link

Having the new AppleTV wirelessly streaming all of my entertainment to my TV would be great and would keep what is seen down to a minimum like Apple likes it. Hide all of the unsightly equipment and cabling in a cabinet or closet.

Sorry for the log post, but this could be exciting!

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
It's a cool looking remote, but i'm more exited about the prospect of Apple finally taking the ATV seriously enough to update it... Hopefully this means they'll update the software on the existing model too....

aralmeida

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
Maybe it will be an option to control your "all things apple" e-home.
Maybe its the new mouse...
I don't know but i i want one... :)

The ipod touch costs 189€.so maybe a "dumber" touch remote may not be that expensive....I would definitely buy it!

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Apple didn't "eliminate" the 40GB ATV option -- you can't source 40GB drives anymore. Apple just finally ran out of their supply of 40GB ATVs a year after the HDD supply ran out :)

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
A touchscreen remote is a pain if you surf channels or adjust the volume a lot.

Most remote control junkies know every button on every remote in their house, by heart or by feel. Never any need to look at it.

I'd have totally agreed with you until I tried the AppleTV remote app on an iPhone recently. One mode lets you use the entire surface as a trackpad. You slide your thumb about while watching menus react on the TV screen. I didn't need to look down at all. It's pretty cool and (dare i say it) intuitive. Shows promise.

fef714

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
I'd have totally agreed with you until I tried the AppleTV remote app on an iPhone recently. One mode lets you use the entire surface as a trackpad. You slide your thumb about while watching menus react on the TV screen. I didn't need to look down at all. It's pretty cool and (dare i say it) intuitive. Shows promise.

yeah, it's not bad, but I also prefer to use a remote with actual buttons.

The remote on the iPod touch is great, but it isn't something that is second nature, like changing the volume from my trusty ol' Comcast remote (the only good thing from Comcast;))

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
Thats funny, I already have this. iPod Touch/iPhone with a Mini running Plex.

Not only that, it's better than an Apple TV.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
remote

8" long & 2" wide? I don't get it. Why would it be in that format? Because all remotes are long and thin? It just doesn't seem like Apple. I kind of like an earlier poster's thought of it being some kind of working mockup. Where would they even find a 8x2in touchscreen? I mean....

BG-Mac

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
I for one like it. Anything that hints at a new ATV in the near future is good news to me.. :D

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Looks fake and seems a little pointless - for whatever this device costs, a cheap touch is likely less and can do the same things and more. I would like to see an improved remote for the ATV (and Macs) but not like this. Actually, something maybe 2x the size of the current remote with an epaper display and regular old touchscreen (like we've had on phones and PDAs for years) over it would be about perfect in my book. Simple, long battery life, customizable buttons of the fly, information feedback...

macerroneous

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
USA
No need for remote

IMHO, if you don't own an iphone or touch now, you will soon (or else you are living in the wrong millenium). It is not in Apple's interest to develop a new remote. It WOULD be in Apple's interest to develop App's for the iPhone that make the remote experience more robust, including using it as a game controller for ATV. Perhaps the base model ATV will come with a basic (6 button) remote. Perhaps, for $100 more they'll bundle an iPod touch.

They NEED to push as many people to the platform as possible, so I don't believe they'll come out with an expensive remote that isn't an iPod.

As an aside and having an ATV, I think the #1 priority is to add Safari, including flash, so we can watch all internet content. If you are Apple, maybe you're thinking the top priority is to add gaming apps available from the App Store.

Maybe you'd feel better about the fact that you're forced into the iPhone/touch sphere if you could stream from your ATV to your mobile screen while you're in another room.

And another thing, the iPhone could become a universal remote if they add an IR controller to the ATV!!

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
THIS IS THE BIGGEST IPOD TOUCH REMOTE CONTROL I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! EVVVER!!!!!!!

(i've only seen one!)
:D:D:D:D:D:D

it comes with the remote control app.

star-fish

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
Joe Public is not going to build an HTPC or turn a Mac Mini into one. Joe Public is gonna go to the Apple Store at the mall and say "I want to watch movies on my TV and play music through my home stereo." The employee will show him iTunes and AppleTV. He'll probably be shown how an iPhone or Touch can integrate into the experience. He'll walk out with an iMac and an Apple TV - and maybe a Touch.

No, Joe Public has already got a computer, tv and recorder, and a stereo. Joe Public isn't sure anything beyond that exists, other than an ipod and itunes, of which he has an old model and doesn't plan to upgrade yet because the new ones don't seem any different (other than different colours and larger capacity, which he doesn't really need). Joe Public is considering getting a blu-ray player, not an AppleTV.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
A remote control should have tactile feedback in my oppinion. It should be possible to operate it just be "feel".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.