Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Until Apple actually makes the AppleTV useful, this would be a waste of development time.

Anyone who actually owns an AppleTV is the most dedicated of Apple Fanbois, and those folks will already have an iPod or iPhone, or two or three. (I fall into that group, btw.)

Joe Public wouldn't even consider an AppleTV in its current iteration, and until it can play Blu-Ray DVDs, record live TV, and even stream some kind of NetFlix-like library of movies, why would any but the most dedicated geeks bother with the thing?

I don't think this is real, but if it is, it's got to be accompanying some major re-write of the AppleTV story.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I agree with the comments about it being Zune-esque, but the first thing I thought of was that it also looks a lot like something that I'd see coming from Bang & Olufson (B&O).

In fact, am I the only one here who thinks that many of Apple's designs are more like mainstream B&O design?

In Indiana, where I live, there used to be a B&O store almost right across the hall the Apple Store. Not surprisingly, the B&O store folded up a couple of years ago but sometimes I think that the Apple Store is carrying the torch for them :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The fact that it has a volume slider at all seems to scream BS. The AppleTV remote doesn't do volume. It can't.

The Apple TV remote does volume. It's the same remote as what used to be included with the Macs for Front Row.

You can't control movie or TV show volume with the Apple TV remote because Apple thinks you should control it via your receiver or TV. However, they do allow you to control music and music video volume, now.

Also, the Remote.app for iPhone has a volume slider.

mac ath

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
I know I am stretching it way to much but since there are all these apps that transform your iPhone/iPod touch into a mac/Apple TV remote, could it be (if this thing is real) that they are working on a TV set?

Phycoduck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
I was told last week Apple plan to turn the Apple TV into an entertainment console, Which mean you can order and play games on this unit.

i have also been told you can used your Iphone and Itouch as a controller.

This Touchscreen remote make sense if you want to use it as a games controller.

Duck.

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
If it does happen, it will cost a bunch, which means Apple will probably not package it with the Apple TV, but allow you to purchase it separately.

Which makes sense, because many people already have a touch or iPhone. Savings all around for everyone!

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
Until Apple actually makes the AppleTV useful, this would be a waste of development time.

The AppleTV is already useful, if you know how to use it. Of course, anti-Apple zealots think everything made by Apple is a waste of time.

Anyone who actually owns an AppleTV is the most dedicated of Apple Fanbois, and those folks will already have an iPod or iPhone, or two or three. (I fall into that group, btw.)

In my own case, having the ability to use a computer with iTunes as a media server is great! I have access to my entire audio/video/movie/TV library on every machine in the house, plus full HD capability in the living room.

Joe Public wouldn't even consider an AppleTV in its current iteration, and until it can play Blu-Ray DVDs, record live TV, and even stream some kind of NetFlix-like library of movies, why would any but the most dedicated geeks bother with the thing?

That's because Joe Public doesn't understand what the AppleTV really is--a complete multimedia device that, while it still has some shortcomings as mentioned, isn't the crippled device claimed.

I don't think this is real, but if it is, it's got to be accompanying some major re-write of the AppleTV story.

This is the one statement I can agree with. The device as displayed seems to make access to all the built-in capabilities much easier and more intuitive--not requiring you to go through 2 and 3 layers of menus. If this device is added to some of the other AppleTV rumors out there, this could well be not only a remote, but a game controller letting you play iPhone/iPod Touch games on your TV. If you look at some of the commercials for the iPhone now, gaming is becoming quite a deal for Apple.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
This thing looks seriously ugly and 'un apple-like'.

It is also useless. Apple already has a touchscreen remote, it is called an iPod Touch/iPhone. The Apple remote cant ever be too cool as Apple would prefer you buy one of those 2 products and get hooked into the App store ecosystem.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I was told last week Apple plan to turn the Apple TV into an entertainment console, Which mean you can order and play games on this unit.

i have also been told you can used your Iphone and Itouch as a controller.

This Touchscreen remote make sense if you want to use it as a games controller.

Duck.

Holy cow. This guy nailed it.

The iPod Touch competes with the Nintendo DS and that clearly surprised Apple. They started to pursue 'gaming' a lot more after that happened.

The new Apple TV will compete with the Wii in the same way...it'll have it's own app store and everything. Yeah, the games won't be quite as good as the Wii, but the Touch showed that some people would rather have a LOT of $3 games than a few $50 games.

There is NO set-top gaming system for those people.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

That's not true. I actually bought the Apple TV before I got an iPhone just to see my iTunes content on a larger screen. At the time, the best you could get via A/V out from an iPod was composite 480i video.

Many people miss the entire point of the Apple TV. As Jobs' put it, "It's a DVD player for the Internet."

The media extender category is before its time. Until Joe Public builds up a mass library of digital video content and forgoes his physical discs, the importance of owning a media extender is not going to be apparent.

The problem that Apple has right now is the only people that are jumping on the media extender bandwagon are people that have mass libraries of ripped and/or pirated digital video content.

They want the Apple TV to be an outlet for iTunes, not a playback solution for ripped or pirated material.

Apple has really let movie distribution on iTunes falter. They don't have studio support for HD content (Jobs is a board member and the largest shareholder of Disney, yet he can't seem to get HD support and purchasing rights for iTunes), movie studios are pricing their digital movies at ridiculous prices and there's no subscription rental model.

The TV half of iTunes is in desperate need of a subscription model also. Who is going to pay $2.99/$1.99 per episode of their favorite show? Especially when it's probably offered at one of the network's Web site or Hulu for free.

Apple needs to get the movie/TV show half of iTunes in check first. Then, relaunch Apple TV with beefier specs, new software and at a lower price point.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

TheNightPhoenix said:
the report notes that the source providing the image is the same one who accurately offered information on iTunes 9's iPhone home screen organization and social networking features.

What Social networking features does iTunes 9 have?

You can send links to Twitter and facebook. No big deal.

RogueWarrior65

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
Potentially cool

But here's what would be really cool. Let me design a custom touch-screen interface on the thing to control all the components in a big entertainment system. Oh, and wireless power/charging is essential.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Apple why are you so amazing and yet so stupid

Why does Apple not put a clickwheel design on their remote for AppleTV? I have been begging for this for years.
The UI just screams clickwheel, and unlike this stupid design, it won't require you to be looking down at the remote to navigate.

END3R

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
C'mon guys, it's fake. It looks identical to the new Zune. Plus the photoshopping is horrible. Look at the top of the device and it's misaligned. *Goes to eat turkey sandwich*

Totally agree, horrible fake job. Give me a few minutes and I'll whip up a better looking fake for you goobers to believe.

Seriously, where do these people get their information? Do they just post everything that comes they're way?

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
The AppleTV is already useful, if you know how to use it. Of course, anti-Apple zealots think everything made by Apple is a waste of time.

I'm clearly not an anti-Apple zealot, I identified myself as AppleTV, multiple iPhone/iPod owner, and an Apple Fanboi.

I'll argue that only an Apple-zealot Fanboi who never sees anything wrong with an Apple product could call the AppleTV anything beyond "marginally useful as a media extender for iTunes."

In my own case, having the ability to use a computer with iTunes as a media server is great! I have access to my entire audio/video/movie/TV library on every machine in the house, plus full HD capability in the living room.

This is only useful if all of your media is within iTunes, and in a format playable by the AppleTV. Only a geek would go to that effort. Meanwhile, competing products offer more functionality along with the ability to tap into your iTunes music library. Example, XBox 360 allows gaming, NetFlix, and you can tap into iTunes.

For the typical non-Geek, some Blu-Ray DVD player with NetFlix or Amazon built-in offers less expensive content that's easier to access, unless you're willing to rent and rip DVDs to iTunes, which most non-Geeks won't bother with.

That's because Joe Public doesn't understand what the AppleTV really is--a complete multimedia device that, while it still has some shortcomings as mentioned, isn't the crippled device claimed.

It is NOT a "complete multimedia device" unless you hack it. You cannot watch TV on it, you cannot play a Blu-Ray DVD on it, you cannot play a standard DVD on it, you cannot play games on it, you cannot stream all-you-can-eat video on demand to it, you cannot surf the web, you cannot watch Hulu or do anything besides play iTunes music and video content unless you hack the thing.

I rarely use my AppleTV and found that adding a Mac Mini to the mix was a much more satisfying experience, for not a heck of a lot more money.

I'm glad you like the device, but you're clearly not part of Joe Public, you're an Apple loving geek, as evidenced by the fact that you read this site, if nothing else.

This is the one statement I can agree with. The device as displayed seems to make access to all the built-in capabilities much easier and more intuitive--not requiring you to go through 2 and 3 layers of menus. If this device is added to some of the other AppleTV rumors out there, this could well be not only a remote, but a game controller letting you play iPhone/iPod Touch games on your TV. If you look at some of the commercials for the iPhone now, gaming is becoming quite a deal for Apple.

No argument there.

jona2d

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
well its only a mock-up but it makes sense if the new ATV has a Safari option, this little thing could flip sideways and become a qwerty keyboard to better interface with the ATV search functions via Itunes, Safari, etc.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Is this really needed? most apple TV users I would guess hav a Iphone or Ipod touch. I see no deed to useIr if you al reddy have wifi
I don't have an iPhone or an iPod Touch. Well, I don't have an AppleTV either, but I was seriously considering it. Will most likely pick up the new one if one is ever released. Still won't have the iPhone or iPod though.

IR would be good to have if it becomes a universal remote and can control my other home theater devices.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Seen This Before

I recall a few months before the original iPhone was debuted there was a patent posted on MR depicting a touch-remote.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I did a college project about an all in one Television called the TV2 my last semester - it included a flat screen, hard drive / processor / ram, custom menu O.S. for video / music / pictures, slot loading blue-ray / DVD players, and an optional touch screen remote. Basically a Mac Mini and Apple TV rolled into a unit housed behind a screen. If Apple comes out with this, I sue. :p

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I did a college project about an all in one Television called the TV2 my last semester - it included a flat screen, hard drive / processor / ram, custom menu O.S. for video / music / pictures, slot loading blue-ray / DVD players, and an optional touch screen remote. Basically a Mac Mini and Apple TV rolled into a unit housed behind a screen. If Apple comes out with this, I sue. :p

So... you "invented" an iMac? Yeah, that'll win the court battle...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.