7zip question

Andy2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
hey everyone. Wasn't really sure where to post this but here it goes. I went to download 7zip archive/zip software from their website. Curious, as I always am, ;) I wanted to verify the checksum for the exe. I was looking online and I stumbled upon another link for 7zip with a posted checksum at bitser.org. Here's the kicker I download the 64 bit version but the checksum doesn't match 7-zip.org version but it does the bitser version. The bitser version is 7 kb larger than 7-zip. See photo please. Can I download a legit version of 7 zip and if so where. Can some others maybe check and see what results you get. This kind of stuff makes it hard to trust software distributors/creators. (I wish every developer offered a SHA256 checksum for the downloads. I can wish can't I?)

Edit: Apparently I'm not smart enough to add a picture on here :( It's too large from my phone and from the website I can only add it from a URL.

Checksums: 7z1604-x64(1).exe
SHA-256: eaf4de476bffd1dad628ac0862dd605c69e10f069a7f606a28913032d852de35 (From Bitser)

Checksums: 7z1604-x64.exe
SHA-256: 9bb4dc4fab2a2a45c15723c259dc2f7313c89a5ac55ab7c3f76bba26edc8bcaa (From 7-zip.org)

Last edited:

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
If you need 7-zip for Windows then there is only ONE place to download it. You should only EVER download software from the SOURCE website (i.e. http://7-zip.org/). Downloading software from ANY "download" site WILL result in repackaged software with crapware installers added (at best) and a trojan (at worst).

Good for you for checking the hash but someone that checks the hash should also know to never download from a source other than the developer's website.

Lastly, do you really need 7-zip in 2017? Windows and Mac have had basic zipping/unzipping in the GUI for years and macOS has command line tools to do nearly any compression or archival format that you may need.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've seen stuff on Windows that seems to require 7zip, no? I agree about only getting it from the official site unless you want a surprise or two. ;)

Andy2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
I've seen stuff on Windows that seems to require 7zip, no? I agree about only getting it from the official site unless you want a surprise or two. ;)
However without a checksum you won't know either way. Remember handbrake just recently had one of their download mirrors compromised and you could have downloaded handbrake from the "developer" and still have a piece of corrupted software. The only way to be sure is to provide a SHA256 checksum or something similar. Any developer could find the checksum and post it on the website within minutes. Why not use the tools at our disposal?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
However without a checksum you won't know either way. Remember handbrake just recently had one of their download mirrors compromised and you could have downloaded handbrake from the "developer" and still have a piece of corrupted software. The only way to be sure is to provide a SHA256 checksum or something similar. Any developer could find the checksum and post it on the website within minutes. Why not use the tools at our disposal?
I agree but did not realize that Windows 10 had the ability to work with 7zip files natively.

Andy2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
I agree but did not realize that Windows 10 had the ability to work with 7zip files natively.
Yes it's one of the slick new built-in features of Windows 10. All the more reason to use it IMHO. Couldn't get much easier than right-clicking the file and selecting "CRC" from the menu.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.