current lineup - if any of it stays.

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I'm assuming that "2S" in the article referenced above means
two socket, right? Well, I hope there's a price drop for the
current lineup - if any of it stays.

A price drop would be great, seeing as the current pricing of the Xeons have dropped as well as the price on FB-DIMMs.

sdhollman

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
These things have been coming out "tomorrow" for months now, I have lost the spark that this article would have used to ignite, just wake me when they are here.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
8-Core Mac Pro Tomorrow? Doubtful.

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Inquirer is claiming that Clovertown-based Mac Pros may finally see the light of day tomorrow. However, the site has a limited rumor record, and the precise timing of the announcement of Clovertown-based Mac Pros has even eluded traditionally reliable AppleInsider.

A more plausible time-frame for a Mac Pro refresh may be Apple's NAB special event, which one earlier page 2 rumor had indicated would bring updated Mac Pros with HD media support.

Some of The Inquirer's prior rumor record can be found here.

Mac-Mariachi

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
I didn´t get the white headphones/badge thing. Will the Pro line be coming out in White? Very doubtful if that is what they meant with the headphones/badge comment.

Although a new enclosure will be a very welcomed adition.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
[basil fawlty voice] i don't believe it! [/basil fawlty voice]

won't happen. i rekon. nope nope nope.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
This is turning into another G5 powerbook long wait.

Let the Mac Pro be released whenever it's ready.

This is nothing like a PowerBook G5 wait.

For one, we know that all it takes is for Apple to drop the processors in. HardMac has been posting info about user-upgraded octo-cores for months now.

For two, we still haven't seen the (true) PowerBook G5... and I personally started waiting four years ago. Only two years ago, no one knew what a Mac Pro was.

-Clive

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Not going to happen. NAB and WWDC will reveal all... iPhone, Leopard, Mac Pros, iMacs, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac minis, iLife Leopard and iWork Leopard (no more calendar-based naming scheme). Patience... :cool:

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
Not going to happen. NAB and WWDC will reveal all... iPhone, Leopard, Mac Pros, iMacs, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac minis, iLife Leopard and iWork Leopard (no more calendar-based naming scheme). Patience... :cool:

And the keynote will take several weeks...

Boys, start saving up your vacation days.

-Clive

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Os X

I wonder if it's poor scaling of Tiger above 4 cores that might be holding things up (haven't read the tests, but I got the impression the performance improvement was not that great - certainly not near linear). I expect that one of the key improvements in Leopard is going to be *much* better SMP performance. Considering the way the industry is going, and Apple's emphasis on media / content, being able to use many cores / cpus is a must.

If the octo's are announced at NAB, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leopard announced, but not available for another 3 or 4 weeks. I hope so, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.