82% of Teens Surveyed Now Own an iPhone, 84% Plan to Purchase

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iPhone continues to be the most popular smartphone by far among teens, according to new data gathered by investment firm Piper Jaffray for its most recent semiannual teen survey in the United States.

82 percent of teens surveyed own an iPhone, up from 78 percent in the fall of 2017, while 84 percent of teens expect their next phone to be an iPhone, up from 82 percent in fall 2017. Teen ownership and interest in iPhone has grown steadily over the past several years, as demonstrated in the chart below.

[​IMG]

The Apple Watch is also becoming more popular among teens and saw its highest teen survey share yet in the spring of 2018. 12 percent of upper income teens said Apple Watch was their preferred watch brand, up from just seven percent in the fall of 2017. Among all watch brands, Apple Watch was the second most popular after Rolex.

[​IMG]

20 percent of teens said they plan to buy an Apple Watch in the next six months, up from 17 percent in the year-ago survey. Strong growth in Apple Watch interest in the current quarter suggests Apple's Series 3 and Series 1 models are popular among teens.

[​IMG]

Interest in both Apple Watch and iPhone could see improvement in the coming fall 2018 survey, as major changes are rumored for both devices.

The Apple Watch Series 4 could bring the first design changes for the wrist-worn device, while rumors suggest Apple will be introducing three iPhones in 2018, including a 5.8-inch iPhone X followup, a larger 6.5-inch OLED device that can be thought of as an "iPhone X Plus" and a 6.1-inch LCD device that's expected to carry a lower price tag.

All three iPhones are rumored to include an iPhone X-style design with an edge-to-edge display that does away with Touch ID in favor of Face ID.

For the spring 2018 teen survey, Piper Jaffray surveyed a total of 6,000 teens with an average age of 16.4 and an average household income of $66,296. 45 percent of teens surveyed were female, while 55 percent were male.

Article Link: 82% of Teens Surveyed Now Own an iPhone, 84% Plan to Purchase

2. 555gallardo macrumors regular

555gallardo

Why would anyone in the world compare students' interest in $300 Apple Watch versus $50000 Patek Philipe?

3. b11051973 macrumors 6502

I've got an 11 year old niece. She definitely wants an iPhone. Her little group of friends currently use iPads and iPod touches to message each other.

4. reden macrumors 6502a

Those green bubbles, and can’t be part of a group message is what makes everyone without an iPhone feel like an outsider. It’s brilliant and Apple doesn’t have to spend a dime to advertise that.

5. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    If this says 12% of teenagers had a Apple Watch in 2018, does that mean 41% of teenagers have a Rolex? Something doesn't smell right.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

I'm curious if the current Watch owners purchased the Watch themselves, or if they were hand me downs from parents. Same goes for phones I guess.

7. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Apple should launch their own version of facebook. One that doesnt data mine or run ads. With such a large and growing user base, it seems like a no brainer to me. Tim Cook spoke Friday about how their customers aren’t their product and how he wouldn’t be in a situation like Zuckerberg finds himself in, so why not launch your own social media app and capatilize on FaceBooks troubles?

8. wakedoo macrumors newbie

wakedoo

Those were my exact thoughts. This makes no sense. 41% of teens do not own a rolex

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

One of Apple’s major strengths for the future is their dominance of kids and teens.

10. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

I logged in for the first time in ages, to say the same but you beat me to it. I am not going to take anything seriously from a survey that says >40% of teenagers own a rolex.

Even if that is supposed to be purchase intention, it's still nonsense.

It only makes sense as, if I was about getting a free watch, which kind would they like, and kids answer the most expensive thing that comes to mind.

11. Matt7480 macrumors newbie

Matt7480

Is it interest or that they own it....I'm confused by the article. I figured no way it was owning one since 41% own a Rolex and live in a 65k median income household...I mean, come on now. There aren't many groups polled period that have a 41% Rolex ownership among them.

12. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

13. Mac Tyson macrumors regular

Mac Tyson

You know I thought the desired blue text vs green text was just some meme but when my niece told me that teens today would make fun of you if you had the green text, then I realized how Apple is THE brand, the IN thing among teens. No surprise to me.

It reminds me of when the 2way sidekicks were the IN thing vs the texting through the keypad on a fliphone.

14. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

I think this chart is separate from the teen survey. The author did a poor job of switching gears.

15. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I clarified this in the post. This is specific to "upper income" teens and it looks like it's actually brand preference rather than actual ownership. It was poor wording on my part in the original, and I am pretty sure 41 percent of teens don't have a Rolex. Sorry for any misunderstanding here -- hope that clears it up.

16. WBRacing macrumors 65816

WBRacing

So glad my kids are all grown up. I feel for parents these days, mine just wanted "a phone".

17. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Probably an american thing. I have no one to iMessage with cuz literally everyone insists on using WhatsApp. Sometimes I write them on iMessage on purpose but it’s just not working.

18. apolloa macrumors G4

Hmm must be an age thing, plus I have an iPhone, but I really want that new 55” Sony OLED telly next :D

19. true god macrumors member

20. BillD222 macrumors member

It says " their preferred watch brand." More of a Brand recognition survey.

20% plan to buy an AppleWatch.

21. Kes.Siebring macrumors member

Kes.Siebring

My thoughts exactly !!!

Some stats from the Chrono24
    [​IMG]

22. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

This provides a better long-term view on Apple than I think most people realize. Once you are locked into the Apple ecosystem, it is difficult to change, not only for practical purposes, but because of the high customer satisfaction and customer retention. This extremely high number of teens having iPhones (albeit in the US only) makes it likely that Apple's market share will continue to rise over the years as these teens grow into adulthood.

This will also affect the rest of Apple's product line as the iPhone can be seen as the "entry level" into an Apple life. They buy an iPhone and like it. Next they buy an Apple watch or an iPad. When they get ready for college, they enjoy their Apple products so they buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro. This leads to the after-college work world. While most offices still use Windows, I think as this younger generation moves up there will be an increase in personal choice on operating systems and people who grew up on Macs/iPhones in high school and college are more likely to push the business world towards Apple products.

Just my thoughts. Let's come back here in 20 years and see if I was right. :)

23. 'Arry macrumors newbie

82% of surveyed teens have a totally hot girlfriend. She lives in Canada. You wouldn’t know her.

24. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

This applies to my family, they get hand-me-down tech from us. They rarely get a brand new phone or AW. They accept the fact that it's better to have a used iPhone than not having a brand new one.

25. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Doesn't surprise me, it seems like 82% own an iPhone on my college campus. Literally everyone from all my group projects have one, I never get a green bubble.