8bit guy Quad G5 discussion

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Aug 21, 2016.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

This post is a reply to the 8 bit guy's video on his G5 quad video found here :

I love the 8bit guys videos and remember watching his series Week with a G4, and it was really good. But this recent G5 video made no sense. My G5 is only a dual 1.8GHz, I can watch YouTube under safari with flash at a stable 720p, and HTML 5 under TFF at a stable 480p (it doesn't give me the option for 720). He has a G5 ~quad~ and says he could only watch Youtube in 360p with flash and it pushed the CPU all the way. He then shows FireFox, not TFF, but FireFox 3 and says he has issues with websites like FaceBook and YouTube. Well yeah of course you did. Under Safari or the latest TFF there should be no issue.
    Another thing he says is his 2006 Mac Mini with a ~Core Solo~ is faster than his G5 Quad. Yes, a 2006 single core CPU is faster than a 2005 Quad core CPU.
    I love this guys channel, but he obviously hasn't done any research on the G5 and put out just a truly trash video

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Maybe this is part of a bigger plot to attempt to drop prices of Quads since people will think they aren't good for anything, or even to go as far as to have people sell the ones they have or stop people from buying them, so then people who know about their real power will be able to buy them cheap and in large quantities. Pretty good idea if you ask me, as I don't currently own a mighty quad!

3. lcdswat macrumors newbie

lcdswat

Haha, pretty good idea!

4. hellothere231 macrumors regular

Woah, it all makes sense now... :p

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Sounds like the machine he was using had some issues. My quad G5 is very quiet and has never struggled with HD YouTube @720p even today. I'm betting the pumps may have had issues and at the least it needed a thermal calibration.

6. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

He is right, I own a big gas guzzler Dodge that maintains 12mpg, and I run a G5 Quad :D

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

For sure, reminds me of my dual 2.0 GHz 2003 model which failed thermal calibration.

8. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Sent him a message about the Forefox usage. He says he was in fact using Tenfourfox. Not optimized though

9. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I felt obliged to put some comments on there too.
    I enjoy his channel and it has a significant audience, so unfortunately, the Quad G5 in many minds is now basically scrap metal. Never mind, it'll free up more G5s away from hipsters - or will it - as it's so useless it's now double cool???

10. QSDP-User macrumors regular

QSDP-User

Conclusion:
    Only a very very small population of the universe, i.e.,
    masochistically-minded Mac tinkerers with sadistic mechanical stamina
    will bother to take these old & very heavy power-hungry beasts off your hands.

So, craiglisters,
    You might wanna pay these weirdos some gas money
    as a courtesy for swiftly lugging them away from your now greener home.

* crosses fingers when testing the PSU.... *

11. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

When he powered that thing on, it sounded like it had a temperature sensor reading wrong or something. Those fans should be barely audible. My G5 was always quiet. It really didn't get a fair shake on his channel just then, as there were too many issues with it to really get a good idea as to whether it's a good machine or not.

I normally really like his videos, but this one just didn't work for me. Bummer.

12. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yeah, most of the time he does a good job with research and data, but for some reason, he really failed to do so this video. If he had, say, a DC 2.0GHz, he'd probably be happier. I don't remember him telling us CPU temps, only ambient, so part of me is wondering if his was severely overheating, or having, like you said, a misread temp, causing thermal throttling. That fan sound was awful. I'd be hard pressed to get my MDD sounding that bad, much less my DC 2.0GHz. I kinda want him to walk into this thread. Maybe we should email him. I'm sure he wouldn't be offended, and it gives him an excuse to make another video :)

13. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

I commented on his Facebook post about the video, with the thread linked in it. Still, Walnut, you could have spared some of the language you used about that video. It certainly wasn't "trash", it was just that his PMG5 clearly has some thermal issues.

14. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Yeah, I really like his style, and how its presented. Professional, clean, and he obviously cares about Apple products (for a while, he was 'The iBook Guy')

15. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Second this... I've been watching the iBook/8-BitGuy for years now and I really enjoy his videos. He does a great job explaining everything he reviews. I even used his restoration videos to repair several items. Too bad I started watching him after he stopped sales of iBooks...

16. Tito910 macrumors member

I watched his vid on my quad g5.

It takes some effort to get these boxes usable in 2016. But it IS possible. He should've came here for some quick tips before making that vid. Would've gone a lot smoother.

17. Orizence macrumors 6502

It seems like that with a lot of these Are *insert generic PPC machine name here* Computers Obsolete Videos. Although I love watching the 8-bit guy, I really hope he dresses some of the issues about this video.

18. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think it was a well-done video, but left a comment that there's definitely something weird going on in that particular computer.

About the only time I've seen a G5 run full blast is when it was left in some sort of OF mode(TDM, boot selector, etc) for a few minutes.

Aside from that, when I got my first 6800 Ultra, I took it apart to clean and repaste before installing in the computer. I forgot to reconnect the fan on the card, and consequently saw the idle GPU temperatures rise along with the PCI cage fan blasting.

19. jbarley, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I'm always surprised, just as I was while watching this video, about the complaints regarding the G5 Quad noise levels.
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but mine has never been loud, even sitting up on my desk where I prefer all my systems, next to my right elbow the noise level is very low and not annoying in any respect.

20. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

You guys are thinking it through way too hard. I'm pretty sure in most people's mind, any computer this old is unusable. Good luck convincing them otherwise. People who think otherwise will still have expectations WAY too high if you tell them how much you can still do with a G5. A guy with 300k subs will NOT influence a lot of people, contrary to popular belief. I'll also point out that any PowerPC Mac is actually really difficult to use today. Maybe there are people who still live in 2011 who can live with a PPC computer, but I can't, and never could. Besides, the more people think it's useless the cheaper it becomes. Hooray for all of us collectors!

Anyway, whatever, it is a great video, I saw it yesterday.

21. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Hang on, this guy's business is or was repairing/selling refurbished Macs, so he knows full well how they tick - to pick Apple's PPC flagship model and present it as some kind of car crash of technical design when the smallest amount of research reveals otherwise is both negligent and dumb.
    And you're way off the mark saying, "any PowerPC Mac is actually really difficult to use today" - unless your notion of a few hours downloading and installing is what you consider really difficult.
    As for a PPC user being stuck in 2011, you miss the point of using the tools you have available.

22. ITguy2016 Suspended

The text on the video stated it was a Core Duo. Having said that I agree with others there appears to be something wrong with the system he tested. I've never used a quad before however the PowerMac G5's I have used have never made so much noise...even when under load let alone idling. To his credit it doesn't appear he has a lot of experience with PowerMac G5's in general let alone the quad so he would have no reference point regarding noise output.

Loved the video...I'll have to check out some of his other stuff.

23. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

Looks like he accidently used the G4 version of TFF. It said TenFourFox7450 in the dock - which is surely the G4 version.

24. ITguy2016, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

ITguy2016 Suspended

Plugged my dual 2.7GHz PowerMac into my Kill-A-Watt meter. At idle it's drawing a continuous 145 watts. Placing the system under load by transcoding a video file with HandBrake (0.9.4) increases power consumption to 320 watts. As this system has half the cores as the quad his power readings seem reasonable (especially given some of his power consumption is used by the cooling fans, mine are reasonably quiet).

Under full load my 2.7GHz system is no where near as noisy as the system he tested. Nor is the heat output high (you can feel hot air flowing from the rear fans but not something I feel would make a noticeable difference in room temperature)

EDIT: After an hour my transcode is completed. During the entire hour the system used a constant 320 watts resulting in .39 Kwh consumption (this is high as the reading was taken over 90 minutes however 30 minutes of that was boot / idle before I started the load test). Noise remained low (as the fans did not speed up much) and heat output felt the same as when the test began.

25. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

He's not selling computers anymore, besides, at one point he moved on to Intel Macs, but even then he quit. He's not selling anything, he's just stating his opinion of his experience. You are thinking about him like he's some sort of mastermind working at Apple whose job is to make products look obsolete.