Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I actually have an FX4500 sitting unopened in a shipping box that I need to try out, although the 1900 does better in Openmark.
I quickly resold mine after testing it and finding it added no speed or performance increase to anything I was doing (I posted the tests on here). The fan did add noise though, so I wasn't sorry to see it go and refit the Nvidia 6600.
I have read that the 6600 does have a degree of hardware acceleration for h264 - whether that's utilised in OSX is another matter.
[doublepost=1472328945][/doublepost]
This makes me want to get a G5 Quad just to prove the 8-bit guy wrong.

I wasn't trying to prove him wrong, just providing demonstrable accurate info from my own experience in the hope that it would be of some use to somebody and redress the opinion that the Quad wasn't junk bought by deluded G5 fan boys.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I quickly resold mine after testing it and finding it added no speed or performance increase to anything I was doing (I posted the tests on here). The fan did add noise though, so I wasn't sorry to see it go and refit the Nvidia 6600.
I have read that the 6600 does have a degree of hardware acceleration for h264 - whether that's utilised in OSX is another matter.

Since I make no apologies for being a collector, I wanted the 4500 just to round out the set of PCIe video card.

Like I said, though, at least on paper it should be no better than the X1900.

I've had my fair share of dual-height nVidia cards in G5s, though, so am no stranger to fan noise. One of my favorite AGP G5 cards is the 6800 Ultra-it's a great card but is most certainly not quiet.

There again, though, at the end of the day the point stands that regardless of video card, HD is just fine on a Quad.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
I am not-unfortunately I don't know Irix as well as I do OS X even though both are BSD Unix
It stands for "hardware inventory". Run it at the command line and it will give you a textual output of the system configuration.

I actually have three SGIs in my office. One is an O2 that I can't get any action out of whatsoever other than it(seemingly) powering on.

The other is an Iris Indigo that I haven't done anything with yet. I does have VGA and 13W3 on the video card, so display isn't a problem. I actually got the computer "in trade" for a G5 Quad(both sort of hypothetical since both were/are asset tagged university property and the SGI shows up on our annual 10K inventory). It doesn't have any HDDs-which I can fix-but I also haven't been able to find a mouse for it. I do at least have the keyboard. The guy who "gave" it to me does at least have the OS install tapes, so if I ever get anything together I should hopefully be able to put a tape drive on it and have it going.

BTW, it is the earlier one with the 3000 processor and the lower end graphics card. I did have a lot of fun reading all the text on the boards, including the "Bill and Ted's(and Keith's) Excellent Machine" followed by the names of the folks who worked on the project and "The Song and Dance Machine" on the graphics card. I miss computer companies having a sense of humor.
The Iris Indigo is one of the more populate systems from SGI. I used to have one myself but it was the 4K model with the Elan graphics. Keyboards and mice are a pain for those since they're non standard. They're interesting systems. Too bad the company stopped producing them. If you want some information about them you can find some here:

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/sgi.html

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Sounds like the machine he was using had some issues. My quad G5 is very quiet and has never struggled with HD YouTube @720p even today. I'm betting the pumps may have had issues and at the least it needed a thermal calibration.

I know NOTHING about G5 machines as the only one I've ever had the pleasure to use is an iMac G5 1.8ghz as well as only a 1.8Ghz G5 PM. But i figured that the iBook guy is more then smart enough to know when a machine is running off. Watching this i didn't believe all machines are this loud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.