Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

8GB iPhone End-of-Life'd in UK?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

RegHardware and Engadget are reporting that the 8GB iPhone has gone "End-of-Life" (EOL) in the UK:
Both suppliers' websites are current flagging the handset as "out of stock" (CW) and - more ominously - "no longer available" (O2).
MacRumors was also forwarded an email that Carphone Warehouse sent out to their sales affiliates indicating that stock would not be replenished:
Thanks to the most phenomenal response to the promotion, The Carphone Warehouse is now out of stock on the Apple iPhone.

Please can you remove all reference to the iphone promotion in your copy.

We apologise for the short notice but would like to thank everyone who participated in the campaign. Carphone do not expect to receive any additional stock at this time.
Sales of the 8GB iPhone reportedly shot up in the UK after a £100 discount was offered two weeks ago. Apple is widely expected to release a new 3G iPhone in the coming weeks to months.

Article Link

blur35mm

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
When 3G comes out stateside I am dropping my Treo 755p. Sprint plan pricing is very competitive but no match for the appeal of the iPhone.

Hope hard drive is beefier too for more music and all those cool apps people are writing! AIM and Spore look awesome!

Comment

phatspider

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2005
got an interesting mail from a friend this morning who works in a uk phone shop - shall paraphrase it :

'we have a very techy customer who develops software and tests it for apple - he's part of their beta team and he was in the other day - he comes in a lot - he told us he already has a 3G iphone - he promised to bring it in to let us see it. he currently has a standard iphone unlocked and because of the beta testing it doesnt lock when doing itunes updates'

Could obviously be nonsense, but you never know!

Comment

rubberduck007

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2006
London
Wow.. that is pretty amazing - as sales were doggish prior to price drop...hmmm... so I have to wait 2 months for my 3G model... me thinks they should chop £100 off the 16GB to clear that too...

Comment

bruk201ib

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
London, UK
if only they would discount also the ones at the apple store, they would be definetely getting rid of all the 8gb iphone in a week or so.

Comment

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
Maybe they are dropping the 8gig, keeping the 16 on edge and then adding a 16 and 32 3g. That would account for the lack of deals on the 16 when there is a huge change on the horizon.

Comment

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Man, I really hope the feds got on that stimulus check soon! It's going to be burning a hole in my pocket waiting for the 3G iPhone!!

Personally I'd be shocked if they released the 3G iPhone before they launched 2.0 but then again I'm not SJ so ya never know. They did seem really confident about selling those 10 million by the end of '08 so the sooner they get it out there the easier that would be...

Comment

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
iPhone G5 next Tuesday? :D

It does seem odd that there was a mad push to get these things sold. If the 3G release was going to be June, why not let them more slowly trickle out?

I think Apple will release it 1-2 weeks ahead of WWDC so that the conference can highlight specific features that are able to utilize 3G - maybe video chat etc.

Comment

han_solo94

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
London, UK
UK Apple website still has shipping in 24hrs for the 8gig. Could it be that it was just way way too popular at the lower price and they can't afford to keep the promo going?

That said if 3G version on it's way (my fingers crossed for that one) excellent way to get rid of stock!

Comment

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Personally I'd be shocked if they released the 3G iPhone before they launched 2.0 but then again I'm not SJ so ya never know. They did seem really confident about selling those 10 million by the end of '08 so the sooner they get it out there the easier that would be...

They'll come together, but maybe not at WWDC, so they can save that for Mac OS X 10.6.

Comment

jSunbeam

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
maybe Apple has pulled the plug on O2 because of their price reduction stunt?

unlikely. they probably made a lot more money selling a much higher number of phones @ £169 than they did selling them at £269.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The new iPhone is so close!

Shame about the 8gb one going like that. I was planning on getting one in due time. Hopefully there will be similar deals in the future.

Comment

monkeydust

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
"maybe Apple has pulled the plug on O2 because of their price reduction stunt?"
it was Apples idea.

i amost ran out and bought a 8GB one when they dropped the price but ive been waiting for 3G for ages besides my credit card is full with my new 37" Samsung HDTV :D

Comment

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
iPhone

If O2 and Carphone Warehouse have sold out, why not supply more of them from Apple Stores in the UK? If Apple are that desperate to reach this 10 million target, why not?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.