8GB memory upgrade needed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dizzie20vt, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Dizzie20vt macrumors member

Hi guys

I've had my 15" i7 2.66 MBP for 6 months now and love it to bits. I wanted the 8GB from birth, but with the price as they were at the time couldn't justify the extra £320 to do it. Now Crucial are showing it at £123. Much more wallet friendly and I can pass my 4GB down to the mrs for her unibody MB.

I use my MBP every day at work and generally I end up with a lot of programs idling most of the day, but are needed regularly for short periods of time. Right now my activity monitor for memory is reading:

Free: 200.4mb
    Wired: 666.5mb
    Active: 2.23gb
    inactive 818.9mb
    used: 3.68gb

Does this mean I'm pretty much using up all of my RAM and the 8GB upgrade would be worth it?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. Dizzie20vt thread starter macrumors member

VM size: 144.51GB
    Page ins: 18.59GB
    Page outs: 1.37GB
    Swap used: 834.6MB

Then under the pie it says 3.88GB

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's not too much page outs but since you have use for your existing RAM, go ahead and do it. Both of you will benefit from it

5. Dizzie20vt thread starter macrumors member

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mine is currently 268GB and I have only a fraction of your page ins and outs.

7. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

... and as a general tip, when you see the *Free* RAM figure, read it instead as *Wasted* RAM. OS X's attitude to RAM is that free memory is wasted memory.

OS X itself and the applications you run should be trying to use as much memory as possible to increase their responsiveness. Things like disk, icon and graphics caches should extend as much as they can to ensure that the machine is as responsive as possible.

Of course, should an existing or newly-launched application require that RAM, then running apps will trim their caches appropriately to free up space.

Your 200MB free figure isn't necessarily a sign of running out of memory, hence the questions about what your page in/page out figures are. They're an indicator that non-disposable chunks of memory (i.e. not caches or other transient data) are having to be pushed out to the hard drive to make room. That's bad :)

8. Dizzie20vt thread starter macrumors member

yeah I did some reading into what Page Ins/outs are after you asked for those :)

when launching photoshop for example my page outs don't change so I guess I have enough RAM at the moment. Naturally more is always better, but it's not starved for memory at the moment

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

If you have "free" memory and you don't have lots of pageouts, then, you don't need more than 4 GB. Sorry to break it to you. ;) But, the mrs probably does need 4 GB, so, I would go ahead and do the upgrade anyway :D Seriously, unless you are running a few special programs, 4 GB is sufficient.

10. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

I use the £123 Crucial Ram in my MBP i7 and it works.

DO NOT buy the Kingston stuff for around £160, even if it tempts you with its hynix chips. I had mega kernel panic problems with it and ended up sending it back.

The crucial stuff = good

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dunno 1.3GB of pageouts is quite significant. I'd do the upgrade.

12. Dizzie20vt thread starter macrumors member

6 days uptime. dunno if that makes much difference.

my daily work programs all get closed at night and I play world of warcraft. then all opened again at the end of the day.

I think for the money I may aswell do it anyway

13. Dizzie20vt thread starter macrumors member

Installed 8gb about an hour ago and it's certainly noticeabley improved. Everything feels smoothy swapping programs. Might just be in my mind though lol

Activity monitor hasn't done any page outs yet and I'm running 10 programs including world of warcraft. it's even got 4.4gb free memory lol

only £75 so worth it imo.

14. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

+1
    my mac generally starts freaking when i get above 500MB swap. Might be because most of my memory is always active, 6.2GB active right now.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Isn't it you really, really need to upgrade the RAM once your page outs exceed your page ins? 1.37GB page outs seems like a big need for RAM. Correct me if I am wrong, but page outs are related to virtual memory, which is used because sufficient physical memory is not free for all tasks, correct?

16. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Usually, yes. Items are "paged in" to the RAM as programs need them, but if there's not enough RAM to hold everything, then the system will "page out" items to the swap, paging them back in as they're needed (which induces noticeable slow-down). However, I've occasionally experienced a growing swap even with a good amount of free memory available. Whether it indicates poor programming, weird program behavior, or something else, I'm not sure.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am usually between 40-80k page ins and 0 page outs. With that said, after not restarting for a few weeks, the amount of 'inactive' memory gets very high (Gigabytes) and the page-outs eventually increase until I restart it. It seems when memory is Inactive that it causes a slowdown although I didn't think that was supposed to have any real effect on the overall system:confused:

18. Dizzie20vt thread starter macrumors member

well. I've been using 8gb ram for the whole day and I'm really finding the macbook responds better than better. things feel smoother and I'm sure I'm seeing less beachballs that previously

19. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The current price of 8gb makes it kind of hard NOT to upgrade.

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Since I'm also wondering the same question, I think I'll post here.
    So far I have 52.57GB of Page Ins/19.2MB of page outs. What does that mean? Should I upgrade?

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Out of your existing physical memory, how much of it is 'free'? (the green in the Activity Monitor)

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Depends. When I'm actually trying to do work, its about 400-500MB. Right now I just have this page open in Chrome, with Preview, iTunes, Firefox and Twitter running in the dock and I have 1.1GB free.
    I guess I don't need to upgrade. The prices are very addicting though.

23. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

this

24. frankieboy macrumors regular

Windows Small Business Server 2008

I just tried to install Windows Small Business Server 2008 to a virtual machine in Parallels, and couldn't do it because SMB wants a minimum of 4 Gb RAM all to itself. (I tried giving it that much, and got a warning my Mac and the VM could slow to a crawl, and of course they did.) So thanks to Windows (!) I now have an excuse to upgrade to 8Gb!