$9.95 for the upgrade then.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MySaturdaySelf, Mar 17, 2009.

?

will you pay $9.95 for the 3.0 firmware

1. Yes

152 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Not sure

33 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. MySaturdaySelf macrumors member

"It’s also going to be available for both generations of iPod Touch users as a $9.95 update."
    Gizmodo reported.

it's for “In-App purchase to enable more app functionality, peer to peer connectivity, accessory connectivity, Google map controls, push notifications, cut and paste, landscape mode, Messages (MMS) [not for ipod touch i believe], voice memos, new Calendar support, enhancements to the Stock App and search (Spotlight). Plus, Bluetooth, if you’re really looking forward to that one.”

what do you think. worth it? I will get it.

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I like it for the copy/paste and landscape for text.

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Just like last time and the January Software update before it I will be calling AppleCare and getting it for free.

In the past the nag screens have refused to let me use my library without buying the update. I call Apple. I buy update. They refund my purchase.

4. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

I'll pay, but it's really irritating that I have to.

5. reubs macrumors 68000

It's an operating system upgrade. Why would you expect to NOT have to pay for it? I'll look at it more closely and see if it's worth the upgrade for me right now. In the end, though, it's just $10.

6. ottawaapplefan macrumors member

What features will the touch get with this 3.0.

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Here we go.

8. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

9. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Whats this about bluetooth? Is it just for iPhones or the ipod touch to?

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Seeing as the iPod touch 1st generation definitely does not have a Bluetooth transceiver, it definitely won't get it.

There is a rumour that the chipset used in the iPod touch 2nd generation for connectivity with Nike+ is physically compatible with Bluetooth, but I don't think I've read any confirmation about that.

However, seeing as how App developers will now be able to legally interface with accessories via the Dock Connector, I suppose some single-purpose custom Bluetooth dongles might start popping up.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Apple seemed to confirm that Bluetooth would be enabled for 2G touch. Also, devs have been working on enabling Bluetooth for for jailbreak 2G Touch.

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I think your point is valid, but the 2G sort of straddles the line between computers (where you expect to pay for OS upgrades) and portable electronic devices (firmware updates are free.)

I think technically even a regular iPod update is also an operating system update, but I think we all agree that charging for iPod Nano updates would be lame (regardless of whatever is changed/added.)

13. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

14. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

COnfirmed the ipod touch 2g does have BLUETOOTH!

15. specialbuddy macrumors member

I have the 1G Touch and if the 2G Touch has stereo bluetooth support I will probably end up buying one and giving my old one away.

16. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I won't bother for my 1st gen touch. If I had a second gen I'd pay to get the Bluetooth A2DP activated.

17. kaybeee macrumors member

me too

18. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have a 2G iPod. I'm just very very disappointed to see that I had to pay the $9.95 fee to upgrade to the 2.0 version and now i have to do it again to get the 3.0 version... first time I didn't even think twice but there is a limit to how much you can spend on upgrades.
    In the end, i'm sure i'll end up paying it because it's only $10 but even then a one time fee should be more than enough.

19. TMC2k1 macrumors member

Does this mean that if your iPod is jailbroken you need to restore to original to go 3.0? None of those features are interesting enough for me to give up my jailbreak.

Also is there an ETA for this update?

20. wbeasley macrumors regular

wbeasley

If everyone would just get used to the idea... upgrades on the Touch are going to cost money. OK, we all got that?

If you don't want the features, or don't think they are good value, then don't pay for it. Simple. Pretty much like everything else in life.

Yes it would be great if it was free but that's not the case. The feature adds this time do look like they will make a great device even more usable.

Now bring on the king-size Touch tablet... and hurry up. :)

21. freeme007 macrumors regular

OMG! Copy and Paste will cost me $10! WTF! I hope they will not release iPod Touch 3rd Generation next year cause I will go crazy!

22. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

Yep we got it. And we don't like it.

23. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i'm probably just gonna find a way to get it for free like people did with 2.0. there are only a few things i like in 3.0. push notification, peer to peer (which i don't even think i will be able to use since i have a 1st gen.), landscape, search, and accessories support, everything else i couldn't care less about.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont see the need to upgrade from 2.0 on my ipod touch. my iphone, its a lot more relevant

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

there will be torrents. there will be jailbreaks. there will be ways.

it's not that big of a deal - if you can get a 1000 dollar version of photoshop for free, what torrent site wouldn't host iPod Touch 3.0.ipsw