Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/motorola-wants-a-2ghz-android-by-years-end-so-do-we/

I think it's pretty ridiculous. How are you supposed to get through a full day of battery life? And a gyroscope? Hmm... where have I heard that before? I mean, come on Motorola. Apple just announced it, and you're already "copying" the feature? The iPhone 4 isn't even out yet and they already plan on using it. Anything they make will be compared to the iPhone. They want to be able to say, 'we match every feature, and add HDMI, 2gh tegra, etc..' Ugh... it's going to lead to battery charging wars. NO THATS MY OUTLET!

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
2GHz = no battery life (at least at our current technological level)
No kidding. I've never liked Motorola, and their battery life has never been that great either. Good grief. What's the point? Stupid decision making Motorola, just like your super flat keyboard on the Droid. Brilliant! Wish this post was on Twitter. #fail

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
No no no, just like with the EVO, we'll get dozens of posts documenting how vastly superior the battery life is to the iPhone 4 if you turn off all the features that actually make it a superior phone, don't actually use what's left for more than an hour a day, and install a downclocking utility.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
No no no, just like with the EVO, we'll get dozens of posts documenting how vastly superior the battery life is to the iPhone 4 if you turn off all the features that actually make it a superior phone, don't actually use what's left for more than an hour a day, and install a downclocking utility.
Nice. That better not happen. A 2GHz chip spells "bad battery life" and you CAN'T turn it off. There. Is that good enough?

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
Ha! I think that's awesome! That phone will be more powerful than my friends MBA! If they want to build a phone that has no battery let um, I love other companies pushing the spects in the smartphone market! It will eventually drive apple to do better and get us more ram and maybe an A5 one day;)

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Ha! I think that's awesome! That phone will be more powerful than my friends MBA! If they want to build a phone that has no battery let um, I love other companies pushing the spects in the smartphone market! It will eventually drive apple to do better and get us more ram and maybe an A5 one day;)
The MacBook Air has more than one core. The MBA will still be faster.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Nice. That better not happen. A 2GHz chip spells "bad battery life" and you CAN'T turn it off. There. Is that good enough?

It's not uncommon to change speed depending on what is happening. Knock it down to 256MHz when idling, for examplem and ramp it up to 2GHz when needed.

As for turning off stuff to save battery... yes, Apple recommends that a lot for the iPhone:

• Turn off 3G
  • Turn off WiFi
  • Turn off Bluetooth
  • Turn off the equalizer
  • Turn off push email
  • Don't fetch email as much
  • Don't use third party apps
  • Don't use location services

As for "copying"... who's later with the front facing camera, high resolution display, Gorilla glass?

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
As for "copying"... who's later with the front facing camera, high resolution display, Gorilla glass?

I don't know, isn't the iPhone 4 display unmatched currently? Also, Steve Jobs said they helped develop Gorilla Glass and have been using it since the beginning so...

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Can't be copying if the plans for the phone have already been made. Companies don't just whip up phones in a couple of months with no plans. You think Apple whipped up the new Iphone in 4 months time hell no. Also we don't know what kind of battery will be in that new phone.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Can't be copying if the plans for the phone have already been made. Companies don't just whip up phones in a couple of months with no plans. You think Apple whipped up the new Iphone in 4 months time hell no. Also we don't know what kind of battery will be in that new phone.

He only announced the plans for the new phone. There's no way that both companies thought of something as odd as a gyroscope independently.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Meh, HTC has already developed a dual core Snapdragon processor and its rumored to be going into the next Evo. Might even make an appearance in the Scorpion or another device before end of the year.

kdarling

macrumors P6
He only announced the plans for the new phone. There's no way that both companies thought of something as odd as a gyroscope independently.

Actually a gyro isn't odd now, because of Wii. Both companies (and no doubt others) are following Nintendo's lead in this case.

The point is, certain things make sense at certain times. Most people notice as they get older that new features tend to arrive in clusters.

When a new technology is cost effective, it usually comes in many places at once. Thus stronger glass, high res screens, and so forth are natural progressions.

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008

SJ said it took them 18 months. :)

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Actually a gyro isn't odd now, because of Wii. Both companies (and no doubt others) are following Nintendo's lead in this case.

No point in reasoning, most people here think Apple invented everything being used on every iPhone :rolleyes: Truth is, they didnt invent anything, all of the technology has been in existence for years. I dont even think pinch to zoom was invented by Apple.

austinjw

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
yea, and this is why Apple is going to need to open things up some more, at least in US. The iPhone has a massive lead in the smartphone market right now and they're likely going to squander that if they don't change a few things up.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
No point in reasoning, most people here think Apple invented everything being used on every iPhone :rolleyes: Truth is, they didnt invent anything, all of the technology has been in existence for years. I dont even think pinch to zoom was invented by Apple.

That is true, Apple doesn't really invent anything, but they sure do polish up existing tech to be as smooth and user friendly as possible.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Name one SoC maker that will sign up to 2 GHz by year's end. No one is talking past 1.5 GHz for either A8 or Moorestown.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Actually the highest drainage on a phone is the screen and radios, wifi, bluetooth, etc...

CPUs are being optimized constantly to use less and less energy.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Actually the highest drainage on a phone is the screen and radios, wifi, bluetooth, etc...

CPUs are being optimized constantly to use less and less energy.

Yup, anyone with android (and the ability to see the battery usage profile) can tell you that the screen is the biggest hog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.