Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TobiasKM

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
The most ridiculous thing is that you actually think they copied Apple in this case.. They can't just add in a gyroscope in such a short period of time.

Who even copies Apple? Apple hasn't made any truly new features. They've taken old and current concepts, plished them up, and put them in a package that has been really great - so great in fact that the competition has just recently caught up.

But to think that Apple is actually on the cutting edge of technology with the iPhone is to be naive. Videocalls? I had a phone many years ago, when 3G was brand new, that could make videocalls.. On the 3G network.

And the use of glass.. That's not excactly new either is it? And all that "developed especially for the iPhone", that's PR talk and nothing more..

The iPhone is a fantastic phone, and I can't wait to get my hands on the 4, but people need to come off their high horses and think that the iPhone is the be all, end all phone, because there's some very potent competition on the market.

steamed turtle

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
Apple only adds features if they can demonstrate that they have a purpose. So they wouldn't add a front facing camera for the hell of it; they add it and talk about facetime and how it will change the world or something.

I think that's why apple doesn't talk about specs much.

Other phone's just add things onto it because they can and they think saying it has more of this and that will lead to more sales.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Basically, it's just a ploy to try and steal some of the iPhone 4's thunder before it's released. Most consumers see a bigger number and instantly think of that as better (say 1GHz vs. 2GHz) it's all a big myth.

I doubt anybody will have a viable 2GHz phone until the end of 2011 or later. It's just business.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Ha! I think that's awesome! That phone will be more powerful than my friends MBA! If they want to build a phone that has no battery let um, I love other companies pushing the spects in the smartphone market! It will eventually drive apple to do better and get us more ram and maybe an A5 one day;)
While I agree that competition can lead to innovation I don't think the same can be said about feature dumping. Adding every feature you can think of is not innovation, and its certainly not going to get Apple to do anything. Apples innovation with the iPhone has alway been just as much about what they don't throw into the pot as what they do.

tesilential

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
But to think that Apple is actually on the cutting edge of technology with the iPhone is to be naive. Videocalls? I had a phone many years ago, when 3G was brand new, that could make videocalls.. On the 3G network.

Exactly, the Iphone 4 will be my first smartphone, but I just noticed 2 days ago while playing Pac Man on my LG dumbphone, model CU400, that it has the same style multitasking that the new Iphone is coming out with!

While playing Pac Man I can hit the "multitask" button, and go to the home screen and open any other file/game/message and even call someone, then switch over and the game is right where I left off, albeit in pause mode. There is no lag at all either.

The software on this phone is from February 2007, and its a "free upgrade" dumbphone.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
It may be faster, but Apple's engineering of the OS can make it run faster and smoother even if the iPhone was at 500Mhz.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I think they need to stop treating cell phones like gaming computers. Nothing on a cell phone needs that much processing power.

kdarling

macrumors P6
My question is: Did he actually say this?

None of the news reports that came directly from Chicago reporters after his speech made any mention of it.

Tracking the rumor back, it was apparently a website called "ConceivablyTech" that talked about the 2GHz and (typically) every other site copied from them.

Perhaps he mentioned that eventually mobile cpus would go that fast and it got smashed in with other comments.

I'd love to hear a tape of his spsech to find out.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Obviously accelerometers were very common in most smart phones before the iPhone.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
The MacBook Air has more than one core. The MBA will still be faster.

not to mention that there's more to processors than cores and clock speeds...

a core 2 duo would be better than a pentium dual core, even at the same clock speed

an i5 is better than an i3, even with the same clock speed...

you have to take processor architecture into account as well, and the c2d in a macbook air will still outperform anything a cellphone has these days, no matter the cores or clock speed

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
The phone doesn't even exist yet and you've already announced that it will have lousy battery life, great job.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
Apple must have copied Motorola on the LED flash then because the Droid had it first. Who cares? Everyone copies features even Apple.
That's not what I meant. What I meant was that Apple had just announced the feature and all of a sudden Motorola's like "Hey, Apple just put a gyroscope in the new iPhone! Let's do the same!" right after it was announced. Of course I believe future smartphones will probably have a built in gryro, but to make a decision THAT fast?!?! Really???

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
My question is: Did he actually say this?

None of the news reports that came directly from Chicago reporters after his speech made any mention of it.

Tracking the rumor back, it was apparently a website called "ConceivablyTech" that talked about the 2GHz and (typically) every other site copied from them.

Perhaps he mentioned that eventually mobile cpus would go that fast and it got smashed in with other comments.

I'd love to hear a tape of his spsech to find out.
You're probably right...

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Right now, a 2 Ghz phone is a joke, as no one besides Apple has software interesting enough to be throttled up to 2Ghz. If the iPad were 2Ghz, it would be a scream machine, but it's unlikely that the battery life would be as impressive.

I'm sure that in a year or more's time, the iPad will be 2GHz, and maybe the iPhone too, but that will come at a time when performance/battery life are balanced out, just like now.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
As for "copying"... who's later with the front facing camera, high resolution display, Gorilla glass?
Not sure, no one has copied Apple lately.

Wondered how long it would take the resident Android troll to pipe up.

meva999

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Tegra 2

Hey I-Peoples

To start I will say have absolutely nothing against the IPhone or Apple and actuallylove their computers. I also love their software, UI and overall ability to deliver a solid experience. One thing I cant stand however is the overpriced hardware that seriously lacks in features specifically with the IPAD / IPhone. I mean seriously... no micro SD expansion on the IPhone or IPad is a sick joke. Just to force me to buy the 64gb version. What if I wanted to buy the 64gb anyway wanted to expand it to 96!... give us some flexibility for crying out loud!.. Sorry... getting carried away and I'm sure its not news.

I'm sad to have read through this entire thread and not come across at least one person who knows what they are talking about when it comes to NVIDIA Tegra. Bash Motorola all you want because I'll be the first to say I've gone through a number of their poorly made devices in the past. It is the Tegra processor that you should be putting some research into before voicing knowledge lacking opinions.

The Tegra processor is a system on a chip which not only includes a dual core 1ghz CPU but also a foll blown Nvidia GPU as well. The horsepower behind this chip is drastically higher then anything out today while at the same time using less power then anything currently on the market today. So comments about how 2ghz is unrealistic are far from accurate or factual. As I state previously it has 2 cores running at 1ghz each. I could get into a bunch of tech specs and list competitors to the Nvidia Tegra "example: Snapdragon" but I will say that Motorola may not be the best handset maker but Nvidia is one of the best at what they do. Look up their TESLA line and check out how much GB/s worth of processing bandwidth they pack into a single PCI express card. My suggestion is to do some research before thinking apple is the be all and end all of the cell phone world. Everyone knows that you can only stay on top for so long... The whole what comes up will eventually come down... just ask Nortel. I can assure you that this chip will outperform and dance circles around the single core 1ghz A4 processor powering the IPAD.

I personally wanted to try out somthing new a year ago to experience the feeling of being an early adopter so I picked up an Android 1.5 phone. Android 1.5 is defiantly not comparable to the IPhone in any way and I'm banging my head against the wall because the phone is was made un-rootable by Rogers so I'm stuck with 1.5. After a single year its crazy to see how far Android has come with version 2.2. This holiday season will bring the release of 3.0 "Gingerbread" which is rumored to have several key upgrades that might just put it on an even playing field the IPhone. Also considering Android will be coupled with this Tegra processor I can't imagine what it will look like in another year so with that I'll log off by saying.

APPLE - I love you! You've always made dope products but you gotta stop it with this proprietary cable, feature lacking, flash unsupported, storage expansion lacking, app store dictating trend you're on or you might find the IPhone / IPad not selling at all in a couple years.

Cheers!

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I can't wait to see what smartphones are like in December! I'm getting a new phone then and it'll be very interesting to see what the technology in phones are like then. Perhaps a 4" or 4.3" with 1280 x 760 resolution display? That's going to be awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.