Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
*UPDATE* Cities/Regions affected so far: NYC, Central Jersey, Orlando, Seattle, South Jersey/Philly, Columbus, Cleveland, West Houston, Phoenix, Northern Colorado, St. Paul/Minesota, Suffolk County/Long Island, Quad Cities, South Jersey, Denver, Detroit Metro, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Fairfax, Minneapolis, Washington D.C., Des Moines, North Jersey, South Boston, Albuquerque, Birmingham!

So I got my iPhone 4 on the launch day, and right away I was simply amazed with 3G speeds I was getting, especially late at night or during the weekends. All of a sudden I was able to upload large photos, 720p videos etc over my 3G network since my phone upload speeds were better than my broadband connection. In large this great speed improvement has to be credited to the fine HSUPA enabled device made by Apple, which can in theory support up to 5.8mbps. Here in NYC I was succesfully geting about 1.6mbps constantly, no matter what time of the day. Also, the latency was greatly improved since there wasn't much choking going on where the upload wasn't limiting factor like earlier on iPhone 3G(s) which was hard capped at 384kbps, which, again used to murder old iPhone's latency.

As you can see in my screenshots, I used speedtest.net app where I measured speed and latency on the 6/26, two days after the iPhone 4 came out and compared to the test from yesterday and today.

I should also mention that I tested this today on my friends's iPhone's and all of them are seeing exactly the same results. Even a friend that is NOT on unlimited data plan.

It looks to me like folks at AT&T realized how much bandwidth the new Apple product is able to consume, and immediately capped the upload speed at 100kbs !!!!! This MURDERS the latency, and ofcourse slows down the download speed. I went out last night to the exact same location where exactly a week ago I was constantly getting almost 5mbps down and 1.7mbps up, with latency under 300ms, tested under the exact same circumstances. I should also mention that I did my testing in midtown Manhattan, at about 11pm on a Saturday night (i work in midtown 'till 10:30.. I DO have a life LOL), when pretty much noone was on the cell tower plant's load.
You can see the results yourself.

I would like to encourage you to run your speedtest.net app if you have an iPhone 4, it's a free app. Especially if you are in NYC. Even if you are not in NYC please run the tests since it wouldn't surprise if this is a nationwide move.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 939
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 823
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 856
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 793

mrFinder

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
same in central new jersey. i guess it's normal then. i am also now getting consistent download speeds, which is a relief.

brooklyn360

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'm so confused... why does apple keep putting up with At&t(and their BS)?
If you could at least give the customer the chance for another carrier, the service would be better and the iphone would have work better from the beginning.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Well here is the thing... The speeds were PHENOMENAL for about 4 days. just look at the screenshot.
And the worst part is that we all SAW the speeds that our iPhones are able to utilize... I think I wouldn't care that much if I didn't see it and experienced it myself...

This really pisses me off! :mad:

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Don't consider that this weekend has some of the highest usage levels. That'll also limit your speed.

At&t isn't evil all the time.

Edit: also, not nationwide. Just hit 3.8 Mbps. Get your **** right before posting lies.

macbookpro45

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
It's 1 a.m. eastern time. I am definitely experiencing the terrible upload speed. There goes me sending any emails...

My upload speeds were actually consistent with my download speeds before. This royally stinks.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Don't consider that this weekend has some of the highest usage levels. That'll also limit your speed.

Edit: also, not nationwide. Just hit 3.8 Mbps. Get your **** right before posting lies.

At&t isn't evil all the time.

Yeah, but not consistantly, not location dependant. If you look at my history, it's a steady, rock solid capping on the upload side. Again, I've been seeing these speeds for the last 3 days. Had to go myself last night, on a saturday night in a business district, where noone else lives, where the ATT service is unbelievably good, where I used to get 5mbps down and 1.7mbps up just a week ago. I could see how my download speedchokes at about 3.5mbps and the upload speed gets throttled from about 1.5 down to 0.1mbps. Consistently.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I'm getting about 1MBPS upload in central Florida. Actually faster than my WiFi.

milan03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
Alright so far the upload capping is happening in NYC, Central Jersey, Boston and Orlando.

Keep reporting!

Haxoware

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Well I am in St.cloud Florida

i am getting from 2m to 5m Down it depends on the time that i check the speed

the up is 1.2 to 1.8

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 710

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
Seattle, WA

muther****ing ******* AT&T. I'm so ****ing done with APPLE AND AT&T.

The iPhone 4 has HSUPA radio and can hit over 1.5Mbps easily on a good-great signal strength on AT&T's network.

Right now, I am getting 90Kbps upload. This is just **** the last straw.

(ran a series of 8 tests back to back with a 5 bar signal and the average I'm getting for upstream rate is around 90Kbps)

img0133x.png

img0137j.png

What a crock of **** to cripple yet another iPhone on AT&T's network.

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Bahh, AT&T Keeps ******** with us, I Really want APPLE to release the iPhone on Verizon or somewere else so AT&T starts to give us better service, right now they dont care cuase they are the only ones that sells the iPhone. But when the iPhone starts selling somewere else they will have to do something or most of the users will go away!

I have to try this on my bro's iPhone 4 cause a few days ago it could do 1,600 upload easily

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Poughkeepsie, NY (80 miles out of NYC)

No cap here, consistently about 1700kbps down, 1300kbps up

EDIT: Most likely it's a network hiccup and it'll be bake to normal soon?

milan03

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
I wouldn't blame Apple on this one. It's clear as day that it's all on AT&T.
So I'm adding Seattle to the list:
NYC, Central Jersey, Boston, Orlando, Seattle...

Wow. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.