9c84 vs 9c85 (Macbook Pro unibody) : definitive comparison

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by betterdays, May 1, 2009.

1. betterdays macrumors member

After sending back 4 units (from the refurb store, don't worry, no big loss for Apple) the fifth finally sports a 9c85 panel.
    Finally, I see what the fuss was all about ! and I can confirm what the poster of this thread found out.

Here are some comparison photos, taken with the same calibration settings on both units (gamma 2.2 and D65 white point using the Colorsync utility). I didn't use the same profile, just the same settings.

The orange wallpaper is particularly breathtaking (I stacked the laptops to avoid viewing angle differences). The 9c85 is simply more saturated and is closer to the true red/orange displayed by my CRT, even if the colors are still incredibly dull (it's my first glossy screen and it's really deceiving).

The white screens were taken at maximum brightness on both machines. The 9c84 being (much?) brighter than the 9c85 is a myth, apparently. I metered each screen from up close with my EOS 5D markII and the exposure readout was strictly the same, proof that they're not even 1/3 EV apart (you couldn't tell the difference).
    I also wouldn't call the 9c85 "piss yellow". It's simply less cold than the 9c84 and it's closer to the proper white.

I didn't shoot a comparison of the black level side by side with a black screen but they were quite close, except of course the 9c84 had a blue-ish black whereas the 9c85 was normal. There was no noticeable bleeding on the 9c85 either.

But sadly... this 5th 9c85 unit is going back to Apple : its trackpad is sticking out on one side, it has slanted F keys, an unpleasant "spongy" right arrow key and most of all, when booting it up for the first time, I noticed colored flickering groups of pixels on the language selection screen at the beginning of the OS X installation. Freaky. I couldn't see those again during normal use but it certainly wasn't a pleasant thought. And then, upon comparing the black level on fully black screens, the colored packs of pixels appearing randomly, were back on the 9c85 screen, while the 9c84 just beside it exhibited absolutely nothing but black (albeit with a blue cast). I captured this flickering on video, I'll try to put that online later.
    I don't know whether this is a faulty GPU, the normal behaviour of a 9c85 panel with black images or just a faulty panel... either way it's going back.

And I'll only settle for another 9c85 panel, of course. Too bad the previous units had 4GB ram instead of 2, or even a 7200rpm disk... I'll take the vivid screen anyday :)

Attached Files:

2. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ya I don't think any Mac/PC would satisfy you.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yup I had a 9c85 display and it was really vivid, saturated and the black was very dark.

Oh and the viewing angle was awesome on it as well.

4. atheros07 macrumors member

I have the 9C85 screen as well and the colors do look very good on it. The 9C85 apparently has the higher contrast ratio (945:1 according to this review). Unfortunately mines does have some backlight bleed on the bottom and left edges that is noticeable when watching movies.

5. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

Had to send a brand new 85 MBP back Wednesday, waiting for my new one Monday to arrive. When using the 9400, the screen had this faint "pulse" to it. In the Apple store, none of the one I looked at had that problem, and they all had the 84 screen...

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

How do you find out what type of screen you have?

7. wankey macrumors 6502a

Can someone please tell me the difference? I can barely notice.

8. Robbbin macrumors newbie

You my friend, are just a nitpicker. You are sending the fifth unit back to apple, hello?!?! Why do you think it's called a refurbish? I have the C94 display, and have no problems at all. Get real, that's all I got to say…

9. Hector Domingo macrumors newbie

Hector Domingo

i don't have a mac, but if i went to buy one, could i just askb for either screen?

10. jdaniel macrumors 65816

how do you check which panel you have?

11. Zenor macrumors member

System Preferences - Display - Color(select default profile) - Open Profile

Then scroll to 13 and notice the Model number.

12. Skika macrumors 68030

Damn, i am a little pissed after seeing this. I payed extra for the screen quality and the viewing angle(i wanted the macbook first). And now i see that another mbp can have a better screen:confused:.

:(

13. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

Seriously...

Sir,
    You need to "GET REAL"!
    I have more than a dozen laptops and am a nut but returning 5 laptops!
    You have to think about the huge amount of inefficiency and waste you are generating with this nonsense.
    You are never going to be happy.
    BTW
    thanks for the comparo, i have a 9c85

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have 9C84; view angles aren't terrific—accept the fact these are TN panels so that's expected. After a hardware color calibration, things look great.

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

so if you have a 9c84 screen you just have to live with it? can you go back and demand one with a 9c85?

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is nothing wrong with the 9C84 screen; all it needs is some color calibration.

17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Not sure how much off the screen was on the UMBP 17" I was trying out today at the Apple Store but it was awful. The colors looked ok at best but it was dull over all and washed out compared to my iMac (matte) and a friends MBP 15" matte screen. Not sure what model panel it was because I forgot to open the profile and check but it was bad enough that I went away without to rethink my choice. The 15" units looked great but I really need the 17" :(

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea i calibrated it with spyder pro. i think it looks really good. so im happy. i just wondered if it was inferior in some way?

19. PDE macrumors 68020

I totally understand sending back multiple computers - I've done it with Apple and I think everybody who is dissatisfied with quality or quality control should do it. Why on earth shouldn't we expect the same quality as another customer when we're paying the same amount?

Having said that, it's not clear to me that this isn't a matter of calibration and that perhaps the LG (84) display can be made as good as the Chimei( 85). Also, I would like to see two more tests before I decide which one I like the best:

1. Viewing angles on both

2. Completely black background/screen tester in a completely dark room

Can you post pics of that?

Thanks!

20. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

So I have to ask and make sure, you used a Spyder Pro for your screen which is glossy, correct? I want to make sure it's not as hard as some make it out to be because I may end up with glossy in the long run I just want my cartoons/photos to look good when it matters. I think my iMac was done using another type of adjustment tool, I think :cool:

Any way thanks!

21. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i mislead you. i found the color profile here on macrumors. the member said the calibration was done with Spyder Pro. i didnt actually do it myself. i should have been more clear about that sorry.:eek:

EDIT: i can probably find it for you. just let me know.

22. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Thanks, looks like I've got the 9c84. Not that I'm fussed, thinks it's a great screen anyhows

23. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

my 9c84 color wise looks perfect. The screen isn't as bright as I imagined it would be though.

24. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Looking at the posted photos, I kinda like the colors on the 9C84 screen more than the 9C85 screen. I guess this is just my personal opinion only. :eek: Anyway, these screens are way better than the 9C89 screen on my Alu MB. :(

25. pavenger macrumors regular

Some people are just a little too picky. I get that a person wants the most quality out of their large investment in an apple product, but to me, sending a computer back four or five time to get a display that has just a tad more saturation and a tad brighter is a little beyond me. But if Apple keeps sending you more and you keep asking for them, then go for it. Apple will just turn around and resell the ones you sent back. Personally I'm glad to see that I have a 9c85 though :)