Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
i mislead you. i found the color profile here on macrumors. the member said the calibration was done with Spyder Pro. i didnt actually do it myself. i should have been more clear about that sorry.:eek:

EDIT: i can probably find it for you. just let me know.

That's fine if you wouldn't mind sending me the profile via pm or post it here for others. I really hate to say it but that one screen was way out there and for some reason it looked like someone placed a soft blue see through film over the screen that made it look well, flat like under direct sunlight :confused:

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
That's fine if you wouldn't mind sending me the profile via pm or post it here for others. I really hate to say it but that one screen was way out there and for some reason it looked like someone placed a soft blue see through film over the screen that made it look well, flat like under direct sunlight :confused:

i hear what your saying about that display

this one really helped give my screen nice color accuracy, grey scale, and white balance.

Attachments

• Spyder_Pro.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 307

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
calibration

Sorry to sound like a fool but I have not really got any experience with colour calibration

Vicious your screen is the 84? yeah...

SO presumably I need to find the spyder pro calibration for the 85 (what display tells me mine screen is) How then do I apply these setting?

Thanks

aresinferno

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
From those photos the colours seem much nicer on the 85 but the white is slightly off-colour compared to the 84. I have an 84 here and no matter what it is still alot better than any other laptop I have had.

I have heard of stories of people with light bleed and i am sure most of those people were using the 85 screen. I have absolutely no light bleed on my 84. I guess if you dont mind a higher risk of light bleed and some warmer colours then the 85 is for you :)

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
System Preferences - Display - Color(select default profile) - Open Profile

Then scroll to 13 and notice the Model number.

Neat! I had no idea about any of this fussy display pickyness but I just found out that mine is an 85, and yes the color is awesome on this thing once you get past the whole shiny mirror part.

And about sending so many back, there comes a time when one must sit back and realize that the only consistency with all your failed relationships is you.
/sarcasm

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I'm extremely picky about displays too and have sent numerous MBPs back to apple for all the different issues of the previous generation MBP: yellowing, uneven backlight, severe bleed and what not. If we want Apple to keep producing good quality products, I'd argue that it is our duty to return poor quality items -- as many times as it take. That's my opinion.

Having said that, I think that with the current TN technology in laptops we're never going to find perfect displays. I recently got the latest MBP unibody and have the 9c84 display -- it is of much better quality than the previous Lg displays but it certainly is not a perfect display. It has considerable uneven illumination that is only visible when viewing films with much black in dark settings but that nonetheless shows off its weaknesses. It also has mediocre viewing angles -- the only MBP display The only MBP I had that had surprisingly good viewing angles had an AUO display that was great but that started inverting after a few weeks. The older Chimei had significant bleed on the left side and some 'pillars' of bleed at the bottom. The current LG has some pillars at the bottom too, but they're faint.

Anyway, these displays are mediocre and that's the state of laptop display technology right now. That doesn't mean that they're not beautiful for non-critical everyday work. I think they are. But they don't even come close to reasonably priced desktop PVA or IPS display and although we can't demand that they should I do think we should demand consistency and the highest quality that exists within the confines of the current technology.

Just because some people here aren't discerning and/or knowledgeable about displays and color doesn't meant that one should jump to conclusions about the 'pickiness' of those who demand what Apple advertises: a display that is suitable for graphics and photo. Even the best of the current crop are only marginally suitable for that purpose and most are not.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Sorry to sound like a fool but I have not really got any experience with colour calibration

Vicious your screen is the 84? yeah...

SO presumably I need to find the spyder pro calibration for the 85 (what display tells me mine screen is) How then do I apply these setting?

Thanks

it's quite easy to apply the settings. once you find and download the calibrations you want to try from here and here just drag the .icc files into, Mac HD>Library>ColorSync>Profiles>Displays. after that go to the Displays in system prefs and apply them there under the color option. you may have to uncheck the box that says "show profiles for this display only" to see them. good luck

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
ViciousShadow21 Thanks for the profile, I'll be trying a few things out before my final decision is made and hoping that I can hold out till after WWDC, well the day after anyway :)

hey your welcome. it's a little dark for some ppl's taste but the grey scale is the best of any i have tried. the one that Alphaod suggested has a bit better color vibrance but like i said it's a little washed out for my taste. the combination of his and the one that i use would be perfect.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I also just read on another thread that reinstalling OSX will improve or restore the screen issues with the matte 17" MBP but I really don't want to walk out of a store with hopes and still fall short only to end up with the glossy :rolleyes: This reminds me of the issues of a build from my iMac, I got lucky and had the build that was fine and others had a build that messed up the iMac where it acted as a DOA. For the cost of these I'll try other things first on the one in store this way if nothing works I at least gave it a good fight…

superscientific

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2003
Spring Hill, TN
I have to disagree on the 9c85 panel looking better. I returned my MBP 3 times due to cosmetic and HDD issues and they were mixed between the 84 and 85 panels. The two 84 panels were clearly better after calibration for me personally. I have a 9c84 panel now and am happy with it. The 85 panel was somewhat blurry and washed out even after calibration. I guess it is all preference though.

betterdays

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
The 85 panel was somewhat blurry

I'll never understand how people can find an LCD "somewhat blurry". You can't go much sharper than those little square pixels...

Thanks all for your constructive opinions (or even pejorative words) but this 5th unit is definitely going back : yesterday while working normally, I experienced the random packs of pixels on a non-black screen. The 9400M is acting up randomly :(

betterdays

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
And now the conclusion : the 6th model arrived, upon starting it up I immediately felt something special about its screen, and my feelings were real, it was another 9c85 !

Except this one didn't have a mis-aligned top shell / touchpad sticking out on one side / slanted F* keys / spongy Right key. It's cosmetically great.
No interferences on the LCD so far. I love it, except the mirror screen which will get modded real soon.

Too bad Apple's quality control apparently lets the previous units pass the refurb test or even leave the factory. Not really what I expected from a premium computer brand. And the alu iMac joke is even worse...

jpma

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
I think I've got the 9c84 before and some problem now apple change my screen
after that my screen look more yellowish than normal warm yellow.
it is the 9c85.

I've contacted apple that they will change my screen because of this yellowish problem.

wanna check how does everyone's 9c85 look like?

jpma

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
I've got the same yellowish 85,
apple change my whole unit.
in the end it's the same
now got a profile more towards neutral.
so far it's fine for me.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I have an 84 but it's so much better than my white MB display I wouldn't dream of returning it.

Cheers,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.