Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2005
Having just bought a used 2009 2.66ghz quad core Mac Pro for $1825, I can't say I'm enjoying this thread! However, I'm trying to justify my purchase with my belief that a 2009 mac pro with the 3.33ghz quad core upgrade is still the fastest mac pro on a per-core basis. The fastest quad core option on the 2010 is 3.2Ghz which appears to be slower per geekbench results. The 3.33ghz hex core also doesn't put up the same numbers per-core as the 3.33Ghz quad.
For those of us who primarily use software that doesn't take full advantage of all cores, I think a 2009 3.33Ghz quad core could still be the best option.

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
Easy there Thunder.....the 2009 is a great machine at the refurb price. Don't be dumping on a machine that many others have bought and are using.:D

Compared to the 2010 model, at the same price, it doesn't make much sense to go with the 2009. Sure, the '09 model is great and nearly identical to the '10, but with an improved graphics card, slightly higher clock, and a logic board that can take the Westmere chip, it is an upgrade. I'm only referring to the fact that Apple is offering them both at the exact same price. It'd be a different discussion if there were a discrepancy.

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009
That I'm quite interested in.

Of course I'd get it and upgrade the CPUs.

To what? Unless I'm looking at the wrong chips, the upgrade would put you at about the new price of their 12-core.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at a higher clock speed. Yours is a great idea :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That I'm quite interested in.

Of course I'd get it and upgrade the CPUs.

Of course you would :D

Would be a good deal though. Apple charges 6199$ for 2.93GHz 12-core while buying that refurb and upgrading its CPUs to two X5670s would cost around 5000$ (2969$ for refurb MP + 2x~1350$ for X5670s - sell the E5620s for ~370$ each)

You would save ~1200$ ;)

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Compared to the 2010 model, at the same price, it doesn't make much sense to go with the 2009. Sure, the '09 model is great and nearly identical to the '10, but with an improved graphics card, slightly higher clock, and a logic board that can take the Westmere chip, it is an upgrade. I'm only referring to the fact that Apple is offering them both at the exact same price. It'd be a different discussion if there were a discrepancy.

well the good thing about that tie in price is the 2009 will drop soon maybe to 1999.

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Quad 2.8

I have been waiting for these to hit the refurb store. Picked one up right as they hit the store on the 5th. Still has not shipped and I see they are no longer available on the refurb store.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have been waiting for these to hit the refurb store. Picked one up right as they hit the store on the 5th. Still has not shipped and I see they are no longer available on the refurb store.

Did you get your free-after-rebate printer too? I noticed in the fine print that the printer promo applied to refurbs as well as new computers, so I got the $99 Epson.

I didn't really need it, but my current printer is 802.11G and the new one is N. My printer is the last G device on the network, so I'll finally be able to turn off wireless G.

myosh

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
3.33 GHz 6-Core Now Available...

Just noticed that Apple now has a refurbished 3.33 GHz 6-Core in stock at the online store for $3,149, a $550 savings (approx 15%). This is the system I've been eying since the 2010 MacPro came out but the $3700 price tag is what prevented me from buying it.

It does seem to be a bit disconcerting that the 2010 MacPros are already hitting the refurbished shop.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Just noticed that Apple now has a refurbished 3.33 GHz 6-Core in stock at the online store for $3,149, a $550 savings (approx 15%). This is the system I've been eying since the 2010 MacPro came out but the $3700 price tag is what prevented me from buying it.

It does seem to be a bit disconcerting that the 2010 MacPros are already hitting the refurbished shop.

no 6 weeks is common. look at it this way. I upgraded almost 100 mac minis during 2009 and 2010. 3 were doa returns in my initial testing.

so if 100 people purchased a 6 core pro and 3 were doa in the first 6 weeks that would be normal based on mac mini data that I am giving you. If you want to see a bad machine for rma's go to the apple forums and look up the 2009 27 inch iMac.

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009

Came and gone awful quick...

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005

Could this be way to sell more product at a discounted price? I am sure they have price rules with partners so Apple can not compete on price with new computers, but they could take a new computer and put it in a refurb box and sell it for less and push more product this way? Apple has not come down in price at all on products, but this could be their stealth way of giving a price break without alerting their reseller partners who would also want a price break.

Has anyone gotten a shipping notice for their 2010 Mac Pro yet? I ordered on the 5th and still no shipping notice.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Could this be way to sell more product at a discounted price? I am sure they have price rules with partners so Apple can not compete on price with new computers, but they could take a new computer and put it in a refurb box and sell it for less and push more product this way? Apple has not come down in price at all on products, but this could be their stealth way of giving a price break without alerting their reseller partners who would also want a price break.

I suspect Onkyo of doing this with their A/V equipment because their refurbs always come looking new with all the marketing stickers, plastic sheeting over displays, and not a smudge, scratch, or fingerprint anywhere.

Has anyone gotten a shipping notice for their 2010 Mac Pro yet? I ordered on the 5th and still no shipping notice.

I ordered on the 6th. No notice yet. The printer and magic trackpad on the same order shipped immediately. I'm getting ants in my pants waiting for this thing!

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007

Considering an 09, quad 2.93, with two SuperDrives, 6GB RAM and a Radeon pops up in the store very often... and that's not a config many people would buy and then return, yes, I suspect this as well and I'm pretty sure I'm brought that up here before too.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Considering an 09, quad 2.93, with two SuperDrives, 6GB RAM and a Radeon pops up in the store very often... and that's not a config many people would buy and then return, yes, I suspect this as well and I'm pretty sure I'm brought that up here before too.

yeah we pretty much had agreed on this with mac mini's on 123macmini forum. they push out the 2 drive server model it gets listed all the time.

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Anyone have shipping on the Mac Pro 2010 yet?

It's day 5 and still no shipment of my 2.8 Mac Pro.

I ordered the 5th. Does anyone show shipping yet?
I know I have asked this already, but I wanted to bump this in case
someone else ordered the 5th and is showing shipping.

The waiting is killing me. I asked the apple store today and they said call customer service on monday.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
It's day 5 and still no shipment of my 2.8 Mac Pro.

I ordered the 5th. Does anyone show shipping yet?
I know I have asked this already, but I wanted to bump this in case
someone else ordered the 5th and is showing shipping.

The waiting is killing me. I asked the apple store today and they said call customer service on monday.

It will likely ship before the site updates the status.

congrats on the new MP!
JohnG

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
It will likely ship before the site updates the status.

congrats on the new MP!
JohnG

That's good news, thanks.

I have a dual 2 GHZ Power Mac G5 and it still rocks, but can't use any of the new software, so I finally broke down when the 2010 refurbs hit the store.

ETA: Are there speed test compares of the old G5's and the 2010 Mac Pros anywhere?
I'd like to know how much faster this new system is going to be vs what I have now.

silby101

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
That's good news, thanks.

I have a dual 2 GHZ Power Mac G5 and it still rocks, but can't use any of the new software, so I finally broke down when the 2010 refurbs hit the store.

ETA: Are there speed test compares of the old G5's and the 2010 Mac Pros anywhere?
I'd like to know how much faster this new system is going to be vs what I have now.

This one came out recently that does compare a G5 to the new models.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3969/apple-mac-pro-mid-2010-review/6

And you can compare directly through Geekbench results
http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

I'm rocking the late 2005 Dual core 2.3Ghz G5, and it's time to upgrade to a hexacore (GeekBench score from 2085 to 13880).

The next one that comes into the refurbished store in Canada will be mine. Once I get it, I'll let you in on something I developed that can help you get yours faster! ;)

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
This one came out recently that does compare a G5 to the new models.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3969/apple-mac-pro-mid-2010-review/6

And you can compare directly through Geekbench results
http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

I'm rocking the late 2005 Dual core 2.3Ghz G5, and it's time to upgrade to a hexacore (GeekBench score from 2085 to 13880).

The next one that comes into the refurbished store in Canada will be mine. Once I get it, I'll let you in on something I developed that can help you get yours faster! ;)

Faster you say? Please do tell:D

yiagoulas

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
LOS ANGELES

I bought one of those...but the stupid guy on the phone told me that the rebate for the printer is only for non refurbished...
Anyways big jump for me from my G5 2.5 DUAL. geekbench 2053 to 20243...:=)))
Does the memory has to be ECC? can it be Non-Ecc and unbuffered...is much cheaper...any good places...I will need 16g for starters...4x4
Does anybody know if I can still use the original modules...meaning only 4 of them since they are 1g each?

yiagoulas

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.