A 7.85" iPad would be an ABOMINATION!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Apr 27, 2012.

?

What is the 7.85" iPad?

1. An Anti-Apple Anti-Jobs Abomination

77 vote(s)
    39.9%
  2. The Post-Jobs Device that Will Save Apple from itself

116 vote(s)
    60.1%
  1. MacAttacka, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Wow, so the Kindle fire gets some slight buzz and the doom mongers are out urging Apple to save themselves by producing a 7.85" iPad.

Well it's not happening. I could list many reasons why but I think it's safe to conclude it would be an abomination that goes against everything that Apple has built itself upon recently.

Jobs planned the iPad to be the iPad and there was no room in his vision for any iPad mini. If cook feels this will be a neat way to fill Jobs' shoes and make his mark I think this is the beginning of the end of Apple as we know. It would be a sign that they'll just become another Samsung style hardware manufacturer churning out every device for every whim hoping to hit a winner every now and then.

Edit: Ive added a poll because polls are cool.

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't need a 7.85" device to compete, but I'd prefer one and would buy one over the current size.

OP's straw-man argument.

3. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

I think if they come out with 4 or 4.5 inch iphone they can by pass a 7 inch ipad. But that size like it or not is very hot especially for readers.

4. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

Yabba Dabba Doo!

They could market it and sell it as the Apple Abomination iPad Mini! Ha ha

I don't think it's a horrible idea. It might just depend on what the consumers want. I say if Apple can make a good, quality smaller unit, better than the competition. If some people would like to have a smaller iPad, and pay a bit less, great! Personally, not me. But I would go for a 128 GB iPad 4 for a $299 price tag! ha ha

:D :D :D

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Yep, that's the reason I want a smaller iPad. For books. iPhone is too small. iPad is too big.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

There's only one thing for certain. You don't know what's happening or not happening. Apple has proven that time and time again.

They also happen to have a "mini" version for almost every product.

7. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Good thing Steve Jobs ran Apple and not you.:p He always had a vision but he was also adaptable and wasn't afraid of change or going in a different direction. If Apple can do this and do it better at a nominally higher price point, they will eat Kindle Fire's lunch. And I definitely think it's possible. Just sayin...

8. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone hoping to buy an iPad mini should start holding their breath about now.

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

There are some "ifs" involved

If the aspect ratio and retina display can be kept so that all existing apps work and look good and if the price point is somewhat cheaper, I don't see a problem.

As long as fragmentation can be minimized, I don't see why a 7.8" and a 10" iPad would be a problem.

10. Sdevante macrumors 6502

I think a smaller iPad akin to the Kindle Fire would be nice for riding the bus/train, where space is perhaps a bit cramped for a fullsize tablet. But we'll see.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I agree. And the size difference is even (slightly) less than you are indicating. it's actually 7.85" to 9.7". Just something to note. and I have tried out the printout of the 7.85" iPad that this site created and it's actually a pretty good size that shouldn't require any recoding because the shrunken elements are actually still a very usable size.

Although I think Apple should somehow offer the option to create slightly different version of an app for the 8" and 10" (those are the sizes they will be marketed as), but I'm guessing that 90% of developers won't see the need, because their apps will work just great as is.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

Oh, jeez. People bored on a Friday. Jobs didn't carve "no smaller iPad" in stone. He said it wasn't on their radar because there was no way to implement it to their satisfaction. That in no way rules out releasing a product when they can make it work (technology advances daily). It's always more a matter of "when."

13. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No you can't! If you could list a bunch of reasons (that actually made sense) you'd have done it already.

14. SurferMan, Apr 27, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

Agree, sold our iPad2 b/c well I didn't really use it and gf didn't either. Got her the Fire and it's perfect for her, she just puts it right in her purse. If Apple made a 7" (not 7.85") iPad I would pry buy another one. I like the new 7" Galaxy 2 tab with ICS. Waiting as in upcoming months there will be some updated ones from others including HD screens etc.

"an obamination against Apple and what it stands for" please.... lol, have some more koolaid :rolleyes: . Are you one of those guys on here that also thinks anybody who jailbreaks an device should be locked up b/c how dare they go against and fiddle with Jobs' vision.... LOL. Nevermind that poll is retarded, should be do you want/not want a 7" iPad if you want a nice general consensus. But oh well, guess I have to vote for the 2nd one so Apple can save itself :rolleyes:

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You need a none of the above option. Personally, I like the 10" for reading and it's better for magazines. It's also been good for graphic novels too.

I don't care, however, if apple releases a 7.85" ipad. I do have questions about whether they can realistically charge $299 and have the profit margins they want. Also, some app designers do custom graphics on their apps, so the placement is very dependent on the size of the screen. In addition, I have to ask about the cannibalization of sales of the 10" version. If you want the best tablet and you've got a choice between two sizes, you'll likely go with the cheaper one. Sure there are exceptions, but price is a factor in this economy.

16. MacAttacka, Apr 27, 2012

MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

iOS apps both on the iPad and the iPhone were precisely designed to work at the physical size of the screen they run on with the precise size of the icons, and UI. Thats why apple went quad res with both devices keeping the app ui and icons exactly the same. Some might say it prevents fragmentation. So where does that leave an intermediate size? Jobs wasn't joking when he said people would have to file their fingers down to size for a 7" device. The point is the physical size of the apps were designed for the physical size of the screen - optimised for human interaction. Anything else is an abominable compromise.

The iPad bezel, why is it as thick as it is? It just happens to be the thickness of a human thumb so people can hold it properly. Which other consumer electronics company thinks the hardware and software human interaction to such an insanely fine level?

So use use jobs analogy, you'll get your 7" iPad mini when humans evolve their sizes down by 50%.

Oh yeah, there are some comments about apple minifying other devices, mac mini, iPod mini, iPod nano, etc. all very well but how many of those were designed with ios and screen interactions? None. The iPad is not a mac or an iPod. Every aspect of its hardware and software size was designed around optimal human interaction.

I'm ridiculing the iPad mini because the silly arguments such as 'oh it will fit in my purse better ' or ' i like mini things because they be cute' do not fit I to Apples philosophy. Sony, Samsung, Nintendo et al minify and cutify Devices when their sales start to drop for the fluffy sheep who like that sort of thing. Apple is beyond all such nonsense.

iPad mini will never, ever, ever happen. Mark my words

17. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

So all humans have the same sized thumb?

You have now effectively removed all doubt.

18. jojoba macrumors 68000

I think it's a good concept that has a market. I'm personally a bit indifferent as to whether Apple takes this route or not. For my own needs, I need a bigger screen as I consume lots of pdfs on a daily basis.

19. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's exactly why it's a 7.85", not a 7". A 7.85" iPad is roughly 40% larger than the current 7" tablets and, most importantly, exactly match the physical size of iPhone UI, which isn't as spacious as iPad but proven to be a decent compromise.

I'll save my judgement until I see one but if Apple releases it at $249, the competition will all be extremely scared as the only part of the tablet market thriving outside iPad is the low cost 7" models. Apple can take that candy away overnight by making a 7.85" model.

My biggest question is how thin the bezel will be. If Apple really does thin out the edges, the 7.85" can be nearly as small as 7" in size while giving us 40% more display space to work with.

20. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Firstly, what makes you think a smaller device will be cheaper to produce? Why is a 7.85" device more likely to cost $249 than $549?

Secondly when you consider Apple make next to no money at all on the base units why would they produce an even cheaper device? $399 is the entry price for an apple tablet. That will not change. Its as simple as this, if the iPad it too big for you buy an iPod touch.

Give me one example in Apple history where they produced a computer (not iPod) that matched the cheapest competitor. Apple have already said they're not in the business of producing junk and the that was why they rejected the netbook and developed the iPad.

There has never been an iPhone mini and there never will be an iPad mini. I'm willing to bet the iPhone 5 won't have a larger screen than any of the older iPhones. If it fits in your pocket it's a regular iPhone, if its too big for your pocket it's a full sized iPad. No in between compromises that'll fragment iOS.

21. nuckinfutz, Apr 27, 2012

nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

If you think a smaller iPad isn't coming you're being ignorant.

So let's see.

Korea Times reported on the iPad mini
    Digitimes reported on the iPad mini
    The Wall Street Journal reported on the iPad mini
    Samsung Securities had a private document mentioning a smaller iPad
    John Gruber confirmed a smaller iPad is in Apple labs.

one rumor and I can understand the disbelief but when the rumors start coming from multiple sources I tend to take notice.

I doubt you see a iPad mini for $249. That's too low and Apple isn't going to damage their margins. What they will likely do is come in starting at $299 and have a limited selection of models.

How do they get to this price point?

Economies of scale.

What's interesting about the new iPad is that it really is a over-engineered design. It has a huge A5x processor. It uses 40nm parts or higher. It has a very dense and huge battery. It has an expensive Retina display.

How do they manage costs.

• 1. Stick at 1024 x 768 resolution. This means existing iPad apps do not need to be modified to run. Also pricing on display panels is largely determined by yield and at this modest resolution Apple's vendors should be able to crank out tons.

• 2. Share components with the iPhone 6th generation. Qualcomm went into volume production on 28nm parts which consumer less space and power. Expect to see these in the iPhone 6th gen and it would be natural to also use them in an iPad mini. Less power consumption means less battery needed saving money and weight.

• 3. Integration - Most of the sensors and chips that are required and now heavily integrated. Things like Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS and more can all be delivered in single SoC from companies like Broadcom and ST Micro. More integration means more durability and cheaper costs overall.

• 4. Order big. Apple wouldn't tiptoe into this market. They'd expect to sell millions and order parts accordingly.

I think the likelihood of an iPad mini is better than 60/40 odds based on the variety of rumors and current build of the new iPad.

The blustering about 7" iPads is subterfuge just like Jobs statements that iPods didn't need to do video or that Flash MP3 players weren't good. These things were "wrong" until Apple had their own entry. Most companies diminish their competitor products until they have their own entry.

Don't be foolish...think for yourself. A public company is always trying to improve revenue/profit and once you get to Apple's size you can't hit your numbers unless you're encroaching into other areas (as witnessed by HDTV rumors)

22. mcdj, Apr 27, 2012

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Is that so? Please explain why I have to rest my iPad on something every few seconds while hand holding it and browsing the web with Safari. Could it be because the screen buttons are way out of reach without doing so?

Also please explain why Apple decided they need a split keyboard if the UI design was so freaking perfect.

You might want to head over to the Apple store if you haven't been in a few years. They have an interesting new product. It's call the iPod Nano, and it has a touch screen, based on iOS.

Yeah, Apple is way beyond such silly things as massive profits on the iPod Shuffle, Nano, Mac Mini, iPod Mini. Can you possibly be serious? Those products sell like hotcakes because they are SMALL. DUH???
    LOL. Clearly you haven't been on macrumors for very long because around here, the second you say "they'll never do it, mark my words", it's pretty much guaranteed that you will eventually eat your words. People said the iPhone would never happen. Same with the iPad. "An iPod with no buttons? That'll never happen." Good luck with that.

You have no idea what Apple will do. Continuing to insist that you do makes you sound rather silly. Oh and your poll options are rather skewed and ludicrous.

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

They make next to no money at all, eh? $154 profit per 16gb wifi-only iPad2. Times how many millions sold?

You are simply talking outside of your realm of understanding.

24. blow45 macrumors 68000

It's happening with 99% certainty, take that to the bank, I know I ll sound smug but I have enough experience to be dead confident about this. Watch out for your fingers when it comes, they might have to be shortened. :) apple isn't going to sit like a duck and continue being attacked from below by amazon and androids.

25. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

No reason not to make one there is a market for a 7" devices.