Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is the 7.85" iPad?

• An Anti-Apple Anti-Jobs Abomination

Votes: 77 39.9%
  • The Post-Jobs Device that Will Save Apple from itself

Votes: 116 60.1%

• Total voters

MadMitch89

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
The pool 'titles' are ridiculous. I want an 7.85" (re: smaller) iPad, simply to use an ereader. I expect it to be cheaper and lighter and less powerful than the current 9.7" iPad. I don't think this is anti-jobs and I also don't think it will save Apple in any shape it form - it will simply add more consumer choice.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I believe that the arguments regarding the usefulness, or lack thereof, and the likelihood of production, or lack thereof, have been well handled above.

Just a comment on the word "abomination". As useful and enjoyable electronic devices are, the word "abomination" should be reserved for events and phenomena of greater significance. The production of some electronic device does not constitute an event or phenomenon of such significance.

Human suffering is an abomination. Mass murder is an abomination. Some electronic device is, perhaps, useless, unnecessary, poorly made, ill considered, or unprofitable (depending on the view of the individual)...but it is not important enough to be called an abomination - it devalues the word.

/end silly rant :D

Last edited:

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Anyone hoping to buy an iPad mini should start holding their breath about now.

An iPad nano isn't going to steal your wallet and run off with your wife. Relax. Neither you, I, nor anyone else here is privy to what Apple is planning for the future.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
The pool 'titles' are ridiculous. I want an 7.85" (re: smaller) iPad, simply to use an ereader. I expect it to be cheaper and lighter and less powerful than the current 9.7" iPad. I don't think this is anti-jobs and I also don't think it will save Apple in any shape it form - it will simply add more consumer choice.

Lighter is key. I live in London and e-readers are overwhelmingly popular reading device on the underground, i see more people holding e readers than books. Sme do have an iPad but I don't see them standing up holding it.

The iPad is simply too big and heavy to be a portable reading device. A device alf the size and weight would be a major bankroller for apple.

As for as resolution goes, apple can just chop and iPad three in half and a smaller iPad will run the same resolution as iPad 1 and iPad 2.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Well it's not happening. I could list many reasons why but I think it's safe to conclude it would be an abomination that goes against everything that Apple has built itself upon recently.

Jobs planned the iPad to be the iPad and there was no room in his vision for any iPad mini. If cook feels this will be a neat way to fill Jobs' shoes and make his mark I think this is the beginning of the end of Apple as we know. It would be a sign that they'll just become another Samsung style hardware manufacturer churning out every device for every whim hoping to hit a winner every now and then.
Whether its coming or not, why do people try to present themselves as experts on what a corporation that they have nothing to do with or speak on behalf of Steve Jobs as if reading a book made them BFFs. As much these people may think theyve figured things out, they don't know ANYTHING so all these claims of how something will or won't happen are ridiculous.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A 7" iPad is not needed.

What is needed are a 5" iPhone and an A4 iPad.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Like others have said I fail to see why anyone would object to a smaller ipad, you dont have to buy it.

Is it because it'd be cheaper and more people would be able to buy one making it less unique or special? I really dont get it. Seems selfish to me.

My mom has an ipad I bought for her, I have a motorola xoom (10.1 screen) and a kindle fire (7 inch) and while there certain perks to a bigger screen, the kindle is easier to handle and to write with, I dont need to set it down and chicken peck the keyboard a I can hold it in both hands and use my thumbs to type, where as the xoom is too large to do this as well as the ipad.

I didnt vote because the poll is so black and white, its not an abomination nor would it be a groundbreaking device but I bet it would be able to hold its own and sell well.

Last edited:

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
All those 7" rumors are just that, rumors. We'll know it's not a rainbow colored unicorn if Apple finally announces it, which I doubt would ever happen. If you go to your nearest Chinatown, you'll see tons of iPad rip-offs that look like the real iPad. They come in different sizes and colors. I won't be surprised if the very source of this rumor *cough*Digitimes*cough* got the idea from those.

Nevertheless, if Apple announces it, no need to throw a fit. All products are there if the company sees there's a market for it.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Spreading out is a good idea. I'd love to see a 7 inch, the current, and a 15 inch iPad.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
Wow, so the Kindle fire gets some slight buzz and the doom mongers are out urging Apple to save themselves by producing a 7.85" iPad.

Well it's not happening. I could list many reasons why but I think it's safe to conclude it would be an abomination that goes against everything that Apple has built itself upon recently.

Jobs planned the iPad to be the iPad and there was no room in his vision for any iPad mini. If cook feels this will be a neat way to fill Jobs' shoes and make his mark I think this is the beginning of the end of Apple as we know. It would be a sign that they'll just become another Samsung style hardware manufacturer churning out every device for every whim hoping to hit a winner every now

Judging from the number of people who hit the thumbs down on you, it is more than a few that want to see this device.

I do not see how it could hurt Apple as they could sell what ever!

Choice is always good!

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
If it were materially lighter than the existing ipad, let's say .75 pounds or preferably even lighter, I'd happily get one to use exclusively (or almost exclusively) as an e-reader. I like the e-ink on the latest kindles, but generally have no problem reading on the iPad screen - and that's what I currently do. However, there are definitely times when I'd appreciate even lighter weight and greater portability for reading.

jlinear

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
I bought a Kindle Fire. I sold it and bought the new iPad. Why? Screen real estate for one. The Fire was fine for reading books when only text was on the screen. But when text was competing with graphics (the WWW) the screen size was a great hindrance to my enjoyment. Text was too small as well as the graphics. Reading National Geographic on that little screen just didn't do it for me. I find comfortable visual enjoyment more important than mobility (small size). But, I know many would be attracted to a smaller iPad. And if Apple chooses to go that route I'm not going to accuse them of defying the laws of nature.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
What surprises me about this threads how one sides the opinions are despite the fact the poll results have been split pretty much 50/50 throughout. Where are you people? They're probably too busy speculating on the 4th gen iPad, the real deal.

Let's indulge ourselves and say there is an iPad mini, where will it fit into the current Apple product line? We have iPod touch, MacBook air & pro with FOUR iPad skus in between. How thin should spread themselves or should they kill off one of their current product lines to make room for the mini?

So are we saying we should expect a 16, 32, 64gb 7.85" model? How would price these devices to prevent overlap with the current line up? Let's keep it simple. So let's say they produce a single 16gb iPad mini, some kind of super budget model you guys are craving, let's also say it's priced a $250. Bearing in mind the 16gb iPad 2 basic model is probably a loss leader at $400, how much money is the 16gb iPad mini likely to lose Apple on its own? Its not even as simple as that, most importantly how much cannibalisation would it cause the New iPad? How many people would buy the cute little mini over the regular iPad? Probably many millions. Maybe even more people would go for the $250 iPad mini over the $400 iPad 2 or $500 iPad 3. Great huh?

So aside from iPad mini being a sweet little cutie for your man bags and purses how much business sense does it make for apple? How many regular iPad sales would be lost to it? Let's say amazon sell 100 million kindles fires, they make a LOSS on every device, Android is riven with piracy, hardly anyone makes any money on the platform, let's say amazon barely make any money per user on the device, and some of you guys are seriously suggesting apple have reason to feel threatened, a reason to destroy sales of their profitable own new iPad to compete with a loss making, piracy riven competing device where there is no serious developer support?

wow, just wow. You people can down vote me all you like but you deserve all the ridicule you get.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
an abomination? hardly. if apple feels like its another market for them to enter into and that they'll make a profit off of it, they will. i would personally love it if they released a smaller iPad and i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
an abomination? hardly. if apple feels like its another market for them to enter into and that they'll make a profit off of it, they will. i would personally love it if they released a smaller iPad and i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Read my comment above yours again.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
What surprises me about this threads how one sides the opinions are despite the fact the poll results have been split pretty much 50/50 throughout. Where are you people? They're probably too busy speculating on the 4th gen iPad, the real deal.

Let's indulge ourselves and say there is an iPad mini, where will it fit into the current Apple product line? We have iPod touch, MacBook air & pro with FOUR iPad skus in between. How thin should spread themselves or should they kill off one of their current product lines to make room for the mini?

So are we saying we should expect a 16, 32, 64gb 7.85" model? How would price these devices to prevent overlap with the current line up? Let's keep it simple. So let's say they produce a single 16gb iPad mini, some kind of super budget model you guys are craving, let's also say it's priced a $250. Bearing in mind the 16gb iPad 2 basic model is probably a loss leader at $400, how much money is the 16gb iPad mini likely to lose Apple on its own? Its not even as simple as that, most importantly how much cannibalisation would it cause the New iPad? How many people would buy the cute little mini over the regular iPad? Probably many millions. Maybe even more people would go for the $250 iPad mini over the $400 iPad 2 or $500 iPad 3. Great huh?

So aside from iPad mini being a sweet little cutie for your man bags and purses how much business sense does it make for apple? How many regular iPad sales would be lost to it? Let's say amazon sell 100 million kindles fires, they make a LOSS on every device, Android is riven with piracy, hardly anyone makes any money on the platform, let's say amazon barely make any money per user on the device, and some of you guys are seriously suggesting apple have reason to feel threatened, a reason to destroy sales of their profitable own new iPad to compete with a loss making, piracy riven competing device where there is no serious developer support?

wow, just wow. You people can down vote me all you like but you deserve all the ridicule you get.

No we're ignoring you because you don't know what you're talking about

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
50/50, really? :D Really?

The poll options are beyond ridiculous. If it were simply a choice of yes or no, it might be reliable. Instead the OP relies on lame hyperbole to attempt to skew the results towards his bizarrely militant stance.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
i personally do believe its going to happen, id even go so far to say that it might be released late this year, but hey, rumors are rumors. i think a 7" ipad priced competitively would sell extremely well, and i believe apple are considerieng it. am i right or are you? whats the point in arguing, only time will tell. and what others have said, you do come off as pretty damn smug.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Like others have said I fail to see why anyone would object to a smaller ipad, you dont have to buy it.

Is it because it'd be cheaper and more people would be able to buy one making it less unique or special? I really dont get it. Seems selfish to me.

My mom has an ipad I bought for her, I have a motorola xoom (10.1 screen) and a kindle fire (7 inch) and while there certain perks to a bigger screen, the kindle is easier to handle and to write with, I dont need to set it down and chicken peck the keyboard a I can hold it in both hands and use my thumbs to type, where as the xoom is too large to do this as well as the ipad.

I didnt vote because the poll is so black and white, its not an abomination nor would it be a groundbreaking device but I bet it would be able to hold its own and sell well.
Totally agree, I got the iPad 2 to have around for some pleasure, business but it's just too much easier and efficient using my 13" pro for typing, emails, browsing. And if I want to show a custom slide presentation etc to one of my clients or business meeting, just too much easier on the MBP's. And it's not just the iPad, but the 10" Android tablets too, it's just a clumsy size for typing and working b/c of how it has to be held, and I don't care for dock and keyboard accessories as may as well use an Air or 13" pro.

Now my GFs Fire, that 7" size is perfect for everything from media, to typing etc. It's extremely comfortable and ergonomic to hold for her while she's replying to emails or work related stuff. I was really surprised at how comfy it is to hold and type sorta like it was a bigger phone.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
iOS apps both on the iPad and the iPhone were precisely designed to work at the physical size of the screen they run on with the precise size of the icons, and UI.

My thoughts exactly. App developers already have to think about two different UIs in their universal apps. If this comes out will they have up start developing a third size or will they just show iPad apps smaller than the size they're designed for. And if they just go for showing them smaller then people will start adjusting their designs to work well on the iPad mini which means they won't be fully utilising the size of the full size iPad.

I can't see it happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.