A bit disappointed in the iPad now..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinger, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Pinger macrumors regular

I am on vacation in Mexico and finding it a bit disappointing.. I thought it was great not having to pack up my laptop was a big plus but finding the lack of flash is making new & weather browsing disappointing plus the no USB inputs is definitely missed.. Also I tried to load a bunch of Flip videos onto it before I left only to have iTunes tell me they are not compatible with the iPad.. I'm finding here on vacation my new Windows Phone 7 is out working my iPad and that is a very sad thing.. In the coming months I may be looking to go with a android or if they come up with a Windows Phone7 OS for tablets instead of the 2nd gen. iPad.. Either will need to come with USB ports, Flash, front and rear cameras..

2. poloponies, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

poloponies macrumors 68030

Just got back from Mexico myself. On what news and weather sites did you need Flash? That's just plain silly. I used the same sources as I do in the states so I don't get your complaint. I also traveled through much of Europe over the summer and the absence of Flash was a non-issue.

3. Built macrumors 68020

You're a "regular" here and you didn't know these things beforehand? (i.e. lack of flash capability)

I have Flip videos that I can play through iTunes...Just did a little conversion...

I was stuck in NY during the blizzard right after Christmas and my iPad was the only "computer" I consulted. I had absolutely NO problem getting weather, etc.

Hmmmm...

4. kevin73 macrumors newbie

Flash is a cumbersome, antiquated, resource-hound and is not a necessary thing when there are dozens if not hundreds of custom-tailored iPad apps to handle news, weather, sports, whatever you would need really. I use the accuweather app and have no problems at all with it. Not sure why you would need USB inputs unless you're trying to upload from a camera or something - an if that's the case, you can get the iPad Camera Connection Kit (SD or USB). As for Flip videos, as another reader mentioned, they require conversion, but work quite well.

Before bashing the technology, make sure you've done your homework.

5. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

The web on my iPad looks the same as the web on my Mac, but that's because I removed Flash from the Mac about 2 years ago.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

I like the iPad, though I could criticize some parts of it if I wanted to get critical. But not once have I ever had the desire to have a USB port on the thing.

7. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

The reason Flip isn't compatible w/the CCK is because the Flip is designed to try to charge itself anytime it's plugged in via USB. This is why the iPad balks at it -- it draws too much power.

As far as Flash - I'm a hot air balloonist that has to pull LOTS of weather before flying, and none of the sites I use have Flash on them. I do all my weather briefings via the iPad with no problems.

8. matt90036 macrumors regular

Yes but other people like having USB to do the following
    - transfer files from USB drive
    - connect a camera without carrying an extra cable
    - connect a keyboard fo some serious typing
    - connect your mp3 player
    - connect video conferencing camera

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

There are probably a million user-specific examples out there but it's not fair to call it a defect in the product. The product is out there, warts and all, and if it's not suitable to your needs then it's not for you. There are no hidden facts about the iPad. You know what it can and can't do before you buy.

As for your specific complaints, the CCK is not a huge burden. With it you can connect a camera and connect an SD card or thumb drive to transfer photos and videos (including full length movies). You can use a bluetooth keyboard anytime you want with the iPad. As for why you need to connect a mp3 player to your iPad, well, that's up to you.

As for connecting a video camera, once you do it, then what? The iPad won't work with it.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why would you want to do that? The iPad *is* an MP3 player.

11. Pinger thread starter macrumors regular

Lack of flash is not the what this was about although this isn't the first time I wish it had it(Cnet reviews, local home news stations and newspapers and such)... I did enjoy the idiot who tried to tell me to do something in my vacation, bud I am sure I do more on this vacation then you do the entire year(sailed, zip lined through the jungle canopies, toured local villages, horseback riding and this beside the hotel and family activities...)
    My point is I hope Apple does some major upgrades with gen. 2... USB ports, dual cams ect.... There is no reason my WP7 should be more web friendly then my iPad.. I shouldn't need to be limited to certain sites..

12. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

have you tried the camera connection kit? It does add a USB port, however I believe your iPad has to be JB and have iFile in order to fully utilize it.
    Personally I prefer not having the usb port because it adds more clutter to the outside of the unit plus another port that can get dirt/water/etc lodged inside (I know that may be extreme but its the truth)
    Now for the windows phone. I have one (and an iPhone) and honestly it was cool for about 5 minutes. In order to use 80% of its features (maybe a little extreme) it requires you to be connected to the internet, which I don't like. The OS took some time to get use to but I didn't ever find myself looking at flash based sites on that small of a screen let alone my iPad. Maybe it's just me...

13. matt90036 macrumors regular

You asked me what I would do with USB and I gave you a list. Then you tell me that I knew ahead of time that iPad doesn't have USB. What kind of answer is that???

14. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

Have fun with your two camera tablet (so you can take pictures holding up a giant slate to snap shots) and all the crappy second rate apps and flash so you can see all those ads asking you to hit a monkey with a hammer to win an XBOX.

15. MadMoney macrumors newbie

Pinger,

I was disappointed with my iPad too. Mine was a gift so I didn't waste any money on it. It's been sitting in my desk for the past few months. Since it was a gift I don't have the heart to sell it or give it away. I took it with me this past summer to Spain and it sat in the hotel room for most of the trip. I actually went out and bought a Dell Mini notebook on vacation and my world opened up! It's like an ipad on steroids, but just as small and cheaper.

16. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Except for the part where it's not as small, it's not as light, and the ****ing tiny keyboard is virtually impossible to type on. There are no apps, the only thing it's good for is web browsing. Even Microsoft word would crash with the pitiful power on that thing. What exactly is wrong with your iPad? Seeing as you haven't given us an actual reason not to like your iPad, I'm forced to assume you simply enjoy complaining.

Flash. Would you like to be able to see the abundance of flash ads and maybe the occasional video, or would you rather have your iPad battery last more than three hours like the rest of the world?

USB ports are clunky and what the hell do you want to plug in to your iPad, anyway? Camera? CCK. That's the only thing i could ever imagine wanting or needing to plug in.

17. Pinger, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011

Pinger thread starter macrumors regular

To those who gave constructive thoughts and opinions THANK YOU. The flip videos I tried to load were family videos I wanted to share with other family members we only get to see once a year and are vacationing with us this week, NOT TO "fill my every moment with video entertainment".. Just love those who jump to conclusions and THINK they know what every poster is truly like...
    Thanks Built & Blacklablel I will look into your well taken points when I get back to the states..

18. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

It's the typical answer that you get from Apple zealots when you talk about the shortcomings of an Apple product. Because, you know, by the very definition, Apple cannot fail and never does wrong and everybody should use their products (unless "it is not for you").

19. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, there are the zealots and then there are the self-proclaimed anti-zealot crusaders whose every post seems to point out the unfortunate existence of said zealots. You see all types in here. :p

I'm not sure why he asked you that either. What good is a list of things you would do with USB on a device that doesn't have USB ports?

I would have rather asked you why you're complaining about the lack of USB ports on a device that you knew had none when you purchased it to begin with.

I just got my iPad a few days ago and I love it. I did my research before purchasing it therefore I avoided your misfortune.

20. mKTank, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Most of the replies were crap like, "WELL I DON'T BROWSE X or WELL I DON'T NEED X, NEITHER SHOULD YOU"

People here fail to realize that there's a world going on outside of their petty lives. It's quite sad and indeed rage-inducing. Sorry for the terrible experience OP, but anyway, welcome to MacRumors.

21. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

What others do with their own iPads, their needs and your opinion on the relative value of their lives are all as they may be.

Unless the OP was forced to purchase his iPad at gunpoint, he has no one to blame for his "terrible experience" but himself. I mean really, the iPad doesn't support Flash and has no USB ports. If either of those facts is a problem for you, don't buy an iPad to begin with.

As far as iTunes not supporting the video files I would think transcoding it might be a simple option. Maybe a google for convert flip video to ipad??

22. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

While the iPad is an amazing device to own for me, it has completely replaced my Laptop for the purposes of Email and Web Browsing, (unless I stumble on some videos that are in the Flash Format).

My Laptop only fills the purposes of gaming now.

Of course no matter how amazing, no device is for everyone. So it's understandable someone out there would be disappointed with it, as least you gave it a fair trial though, rather than some people I know who mock me and the iPad without even giving it a go.

23. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Should have bought Skyfire web browser. That would have sorted out your flash problem

24. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I do use it sometimes, but I find that sometimes the videos just dont work, and it gets annoying having to wait for the video to go to their server, come back, and then start to buffer.

25. ripper998 macrumors regular

did you buy the ipad right before your vacation? did you not know the limitations before you made the decision to leave your laptop and just bring the ipad?? I think its a case of not being properly prepared before your trip then anything else. No one ever said the ipad can do it all, it is a first gen tablet really marketed to be an in between for your phone and a laptop, not a replacement for both. Thats why when I buy the ipad 2 (I never get first gen anything) I wont be selling my laptop and will be taking both on my trips. The ipad will get used as a reading/entertainment/browsing device and the laptop for documents, excel, picture type functions.