Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I am thinking that one of the reasons why Apple called the new iPad, "iPad" is to create confusion when it comes to buying from resellers or when buying used iPads. Calling this new iPad "iPad" is a marketing nightmare since people are calling it names ranging from iPad3 to iPad3rd gen to New Ipad... Unless, the intent is to create confusion. How do you make people iPads buy from an authorized seller? You increase the launch frame product availability and make them question their decision to buy an iPad online which may or may not be the "new" one. With iPad 2, you knew what it was called, you knew what to search for, and you were fairly assured of what you were receiving. Not any more...

People may refute the above argument by saying that iPod did not use specific nomenclature either. But, iPad is an expensive purchase that is more likely to warrant resale. Further, my notion that the new naming is troublesome is supported given that it will be extremely difficult to determine product requirements for apps. Do you think that a typical user will be able to determine if that hot new game that just came out is supported on their device? Will they say, "Do I have a 4rd or 5th gen iPad again?" I think not...

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
How does Apple benefit from creating some kind of calculated strategy to create confusion among resellers and secondary markets?

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I think what they've done makes sense completely. They just call it iPad, the same way as iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro etc. No need for a number at the end. There is always just one current version of any product. So, next year when they launch another iPad, it will become the current one and still be called iPad.

Internally, I believe the original iPad, iPad 2 and the latest iPad are known as 3,1...3,2...3,3 respectively.

Last edited:

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
How does Apple benefit from creating some kind of calculated strategy to create confusion among resellers and secondary markets?

Well, for one, all of the free press that Apple received due to Asian resellers quickly turned sour after product launches became violent due to everyone attempting to make a quick buck. It also amde the apple appear as a brand whose products are highly desired, but poorly managed production side.

Look Admiral, I am drawing a blank here. I am trying to justify their decision to call this product iPad. The amount of confusion that this naming approach introduces seems to outweigh any potential gains.

----------

You are no SteveJobs2.0.

For an urkel, you seem quite ignorant of the 2.0 in my name.

Trust me, you may soon wish that I was in charge of Apple. With Steve 1.0 no longer around, I fear that Apple's hayday may have come and gone.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Well seing as how Apple makes 100$ less profit from the ipad2 than the ipad3, that would be the worst marketing plan I've ever seen.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Well seing as how Apple makes 100$ less profit from the ipad2 than the ipad3, that would be the worst marketing plan I've ever seen.

They make more on each iPad 3 as the increased costs of the retina display, LTE chip, and camera or more than compensated through the cost savings gained through the use of a pre-existing manufacturing process and re-use of remaining subcomponents.

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Well, for one, all of the free press that Apple received due to Asian resellers quickly turned sour after product launches became violent due to everyone attempting to make a quick buck. It also amde the apple appear as a brand whose products are highly desired, but poorly managed production side.

Look Admiral, I am drawing a blank here. I am trying to justify their decision to call this product iPad. The amount of confusion that this naming approach introduces seems to outweigh any potential gains.

There's no reason to justify the name. The numbering system would begin to sound ridiculous in a few years when they get to iPad 7, 8, 9 ect. They cut off that cycle early.

In my opinion, there are only two possible names for the next iPhone; iPhone 4G or simply iPhone. I think it'll be the latter, and I've been wanting them to do this for a while. Let's face it, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S aren't the greatest names.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I think Apple's just going back on the numbered naming system and bringing the iPad in line with almost all of their other products, which don't have numbers attached. It keeps things simple and helps to reduce the impression that previous iterations are suddenly obsolete.

When specificity is required (such as on eBay or in technical documents), products are referred to by their generation name (iPods) or release period (e.g. Early-2011 MacBook Pro).

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the next iPhone will drop the number as well. For the best, in my opinion, because eventually reaching iPhone 10 etc. would get a bit silly.

Considering that no iPod ever has had a number in its name (except the U2 iPod :p ), I seriously don't think this will cause any proper confusion.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
There's no reason to justify the name. The numbering system would begin to sound ridiculous in a few years when they get to iPad 7, 8, 9 ect. They cut off that cycle early.

In my opinion, there are only two possible names for the next iPhone; iPhone 4G or simply iPhone. I think it'll be the latter, and I've been wanting them to do this for a while. Let's face it, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S aren't the greatest names.

Yeah, there's a reason there isn't a Pentium 5. It sounds stupid.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012

That is fine, but I am thinking long term. In 3 years, what happens when an older person/less tech savy person goes on the appstore to buy an app and sees. "The following app runs on iPad, iPad, and iPad... but not on that iPad" Jokes aside, this will be a nightmare for those people who have no clue what their iPad generation is. Imagine people going into a store trying to buy a case or accessory for an iPad and having no idea which one fits.

Having an "iPod" was ok when all it did was play music. No matter the hardware changes, it played music and you knew that no matter if you were an Urkel or a first time MP3 player user. But now, with the rapid advances in app hardware requirements, how long will it be before the confusion is too much for the average consumer to bare? How long before the confusion is similar to that which exists on the Android marketplace?

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I think Apple's just going back on the numbered naming system and bringing the iPad in line with almost all of their other products, which don't have numbers attached. It keeps things simple and helps to reduce the impression that previous iterations are suddenly obsolete.

When specificity is required (such as on eBay or in technical documents), products are referred to by their generation name (iPods) or release period (e.g. Early-2011 MacBook Pro).

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the next iPhone will drop the number as well. For the best, in my opinion, because eventually reaching iPhone 10 etc. would get a bit silly.

Considering that no iPod ever has had a number in its name (except the U2 iPod :p ), I seriously don't think this will cause any proper confusion.

I do fully expect Apple to call the next iPhone the 4G. Dragging their feet using 4S so they can roll out that marketing gem.

----------

That is fine, but I am thinking long term. In 3 years, what happens when an older person/less tech savy person goes on the appstore to buy an app and sees. "The following app runs on iPad, iPad, and iPad... but not on that iPad" Jokes aside, this will be a nightmare for those people who have no clue what their iPad generation is. Imagine people going into a store trying to buy a case or accessory for an iPad and having no idea which one fits.

Having an "iPod" was ok when all it did was play music. No matter that changes, it played music. But now, with the rapid advances in app hardware requirements, how long will it be before the confusion is too much for the average consumer to bare? How long before the confusion is similar to that which exists on the Android marketplace?

Or the App Store could list "3rd gen or newer" or warn that it's not compatible with devices the person owns.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

The naming of the iPad has nothing to do with people reselling it. People resell it because supply is dwarfed by demand. Asian resellers did not return all the new ipads because no one knew what they were selling.

If you are drawing a blank about justifying the name, then why are you making a thread about it?

As others said above, it's to make the name uniform with the rest of their products, which do not use generation numbers. It's also so people can't flag something like a S at the end as an incremental upgrade as opposed to a new number.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah, there's a reason there isn't a Pentium 5. It sounds stupid.

Nah, it would have sold. People walking into a store will know instinctively that Pentium 5 is better than Pentium 4. They do not know how a Core 2 Duo or i3 compares.

----------

I do fully expect Apple to call the next iPhone the 4G. Dragging their feet using 4S so they can roll out that marketing gem.

----------

Or the App Store could list "3rd gen or newer" or warn that it's not compatible with devices the person owns.

What is a 3rd gen to a common. non techy person? I follow Apple products fairly closely and I have no idea without searhing what a 5th gen iPod is exactly.

----------

The naming of the iPad has nothing to do with people reselling it. People resell it because supply is dwarfed by demand. Asian resellers did not return all the new ipads because no one knew what they were selling.

If you are drawing a blank about justifying the name, then why are you making a thread about it?

As others said above, it's to make the name uniform with the rest of their products, which do not use generation numbers. It's also so people can't flag something like a S at the end as an incremental upgrade as opposed to a new number.

I created this thread to get you in here... ITS A TRAP!

Ok ok, it appears to be just a poor marketing decision then.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I would think it unlikely there will be a new "iPhone 4G", since the latest AT&T commercials are already talking about the current iPhone 4S running on AT&T's 4G (HSPA+) network since Apple changed the network indicator to "AT&T 4G" in the latest iOS.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Everyone here claims that Apple was brilliant in naming the iPad what it has, then who can tell me why is it that there is no clear consensus as to waht the name of this product is on this forum, which is full of tech geeks? Why do so many professional review sites not know what to call this product? Answer is simple, confusion.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I think there is nothing confusing here. It is all a part of the bigger plan.

Next year they can introduce the iPad 4th Generation with just the name iPad. And then they will have a simple lineup.

iPad 16GB
iPad 32GB
iPad 64GB
iPad 128GB

One year to simplify the lineup for years to come.

The iPhone will probably do the same thing in October.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Apple as a company has decided to name the iPad in a way that is consistent with the bulk of their other products. It's simple. The iPad is called "iPad". That's it.

Apple TV is called... Apple TV.

iMac is called... iMac.

BTW, Apple themselves referred to the latest iPad as the "new" iPad simply to differentiate it from the outgoing model and techinically, it is a new iPad.

Just take a look at the Apple Store online. No numbering used there with the exception of the iPhone 4 and 4S. I wouldn't be surprised if the "new" iPhone will simply be called "iPhone".

http://store.apple.com/us

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Apple as a company has decided to name the iPad in a way that is consistent with the bulk of their other products.

This. No complicated nefarious conspiracy plan is needed.

The iPad is called "iPad".
iMac is called... iMac.

iPod nano
iPod touch
Macbook Pro
Macbook Air
Mac Mini

When differentiation is needed, an additional designation such as "3rd generation" or "Originally released July 2011" is used. This can be seen in accessory compatibility or in the refurb/clearance section of store.apple.com

Plain, simple, easy.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What is a 3rd gen to a common. non techy person? I follow Apple products fairly closely and I have no idea without searhing what a 5th gen iPod is exactly.
FWIW, the Apple Store (online) is already calling this the "iPad 3rd generation" when they display which iPod/iPad models are compatible with a particular accessory.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-27 at 12.47.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-27 at 12.47.43 PM.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 81

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Considering the abuse that Apple received from these forums when they released their latest iPhone as the "4s", instead of the "5", I can see why they would want to avoid the nastiness, by dropping the number entirely.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Apple as a company has decided to name the iPad in a way that is consistent with the bulk of their other products. It's simple. The iPad is called "iPad". That's it.

iMac is called... iMac.

BTW, Apple themselves referred to the latest iPad as the "new" iPad simply to differentiate it from the outgoing model and techinically, it is a new iPad.

Just take a look at the Apple Store online. No numbering used there with the exception of the iPhone 4 and 4S. I wouldn't be surprised if the "new" iPhone will simply be called "iPhone".

http://store.apple.com/us

Since when has Apple sold previous generation iMacs or Apple TVs along current generations? Apple sells iPads and iPhones with multiple generations concurrently. That's what makes this different.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I am thinking that one of the reasons why Apple called the new iPad, "iPad" is to create confusion when it comes to buying from resellers or when buying used iPads. Calling this new iPad "iPad" is a marketing nightmare since people are calling it names ranging from iPad3 to iPad3rd gen to New Ipad... Unless, the intent is to create confusion. How do you make people iPads buy from an authorized seller? You increase the launch frame product availability and make them question their decision to buy an iPad online which may or may not be the "new" one. With iPad 2, you knew what it was called, you knew what to search for, and you were fairly assured of what you were receiving. Not any more...

People may refute the above argument by saying that iPod did not use specific nomenclature either. But, iPad is an expensive purchase that is more likely to warrant resale. Further, my notion that the new naming is troublesome is supported given that it will be extremely difficult to determine product requirements for apps. Do you think that a typical user will be able to determine if that hot new game that just came out is supported on their device? Will they say, "Do I have a 4rd or 5th gen iPad again?" I think not...

Been doing the SAME thing with nearly all their products sans iPhone, which I suspect will do the same next year. The numbering game on their products ended up angering people leading toward complaints on the 4S not being the 5 etc.

Apple products are still differentiated via their model number anyway. So just search for the model number as opposed to "iPad 3" from now on.

----------

Everyone here claims that Apple was brilliant in naming the iPad what it has, then who can tell me why is it that there is no clear consensus as to waht the name of this product is on this forum, which is full of tech geeks? Why do so many professional review sites not know what to call this product? Answer is simple, confusion.

Generation 3 iPad aka new iPad aka most recent iPad aka iPad.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Since when has Apple sold previous generation iMacs or Apple TVs along current generations? Apple sells iPads and iPhones with multiple generations concurrently. That's what makes this different.
Guess we'll have to see what happens next year with the new new iPad, unless you think that they're going to go back to a moniker system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.