a little ticked off at family

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seahawks237, Jun 8, 2011.

1. seahawks237 macrumors newbie

So I've been waiting for the iPhone 5 or 4S to come out since my 2 year contract ended. I was eligible to upgrade to a new phone in February this year, but I decided it was worth it to wait until this summer or even September. I've been following the rumors very closely because I'm so excited for the new iPhone.
    And then, I find out my sister went to the AT&T store and picked up an iPhone 4. She wasn't eligible to upgrade but she thought it would be okay to use my upgrade so she could get a new phone. I didn't think it was a big deal until she said the family's next upgrade isn't until the very end of October. So now I have to wait even longer (possibly months if a new phone comes out this summer) to get the new iPhone.
    I know waiting probably only a month longer isn't too big a deal, but still...

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Funny because I see people complaining that they were jacked out of their upgrade and others boast about getting their family members' upgrade. Bottom line is if you use another member's upgrade I think the provider should require the owner of the eligible phone to be present.

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

lol i feel bad for you. Well, don't sweat it because chances are the iPhone 5s will be sold out when released anyway. Maybe you can get the subsidized pricing early? I know most service providers changes up their upgrading schedule when the next iPhone is announced.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Agreed...my mother and sister went through literally 4 dumb phones and two blackberry's (my sister broke two blackberry's once by throwing it at me) and used me and my dads upgrades....then when I went to pay for MY iPhone along with the entire two year contract I got a **** storm and it took months just to let me buy the thing! Point in case, if your a woman don't take this personally but woman handle cell phones and everything around it about as good as they drive. I'm now the primary account holder (some weird discount because of it) thank God so if anyone makes any changes I can just log into verizons site...:eek::rolleyes:

5. seahawks237 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol nateo you are completely correct. My sister actually "had" to get an iPhone because she broke her last one. She's either dropped her phone in a pool or done something to wreck her phones almost every time

6. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Well, first of all, there is no date set for the iPhone yet, and September is just a rumor. The only real date we have is "fall", so it could very well be out in october. Your provider may also bump up your upgrade date a month if you ask nicely. Then there's always the option of forcing your sister to pay the difference.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The word is you're, as in, if you're a woman ...
    I am and frankly your statements lack all merit. I'm a female and somehow manage to handle cell phones quite nicely. You sound like a bitter 10 year old when you turn someone else's thread into how bad women are with "things" and driving. :rolleyes:

I stand by what I say though, the eligible phone owner should be present if that upgrade is being used.

8. pyro008 macrumors 6502

I agree with the homonyms, but I will have to agree with the driving portion of the rant.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Woah haha struck a nerve easy ;):D:apple: No I'm honestly kidding mostly.
    There ya go ;) I can't cook! :eek:

10. dizzy130 macrumors member

There was absolutely no need to bring 1) women or 2) women driving or 3) women handling technology into any of this. The OP's sister did an obnoxious thing but it had nothing to do with her being female.

Comments like this make women feel unwelcome in places like Macrumors...maybe that's the intention.

11. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I doubt you pay the bill and you control who gets what phone. Your parents do, and they are the ones that made that decision I am very sure with your sister. So don't whine. You have a good phone that works and there is no need for you to get the latest and greatest which is still a rumor if it will even come out around that time.

Almost sounds like that commercial where the parents bought their daughter a nice car and she wanted them to take it back because it was the wrong color. Be glad for what you haev, or go get your own plan, and own job to pay for it.

12. seahawks237 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right that my parents pay the bills, but I do have a job and go to college and buy all of my own things. Also, I'm absolutely not whining, I am just a little angry that I have to likely add more time to my "long" wait because sister, who is the same age, wanted an iPhone 4 before her contract was up. I know this isn't a big deal and I'm not trying to make it into one

13. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Wait, you can apply another family member's eligible line to upgrade your own line? And you can do this without having to switch numbers?

Is this allowed for Tmobile, anyone know?

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Thank you.

As for the comment, many women don't treat their cellphones right or don't drive well because they're taught that women like babies and clothes so don't have interest in either.

It has nothing to do with being a woman rather than being taught to not find either interesting.

I am a female who takes care of her cellphone (mainly cause it's a mini computer, I hate phones otherwise honestly) and takes pride in her driving (as I enjoy both cars and driving). My dad also wanted a boy and when he got a female decided to do the things he wanted to do with a boy with me (so I grew up a tomboy). Cause you know, being born with an x or y gene does not doom you to whether you like cars and technology or not (how could it when neither is something that happens in nature).

15. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Ehh I have first hand knowledge as my girlfriend, sister, and Mother need new phones almost every 2 months. Don't know what it is with them...

16. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

1. Get your own plan

or

2. Wait it out, maybe 4S/5 will be out so you can 1 up her

or

3. take someone elses upgrade

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, because your family is representative of all females...

Oh, if we are going by analogies, when I went to Georgia Tech, I knew more females who knew how to drive gearshift than males. And plenty of bad drivers who were male who could care less about driving and probably would have been just as happy not.

Oh, and my male roommate takes way less care of his iphone than I do (his last iphone didn't even quite make it to when he got a new one and then the new one got scratched up within a few months).

18. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Says the guy who will go buy the "Latest and greatest" as soon as he has a chance.

Get the hell off your high horse

19. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

For AT&T I technically used someone else's upgrade. It had to be activated to the other phone, then AT&T switched around some SIM cards at the store. A little bit of a pain, but it is allowed and works. Probably on T-Mobile too

20. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

a little too serious

lol

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Logistically, this is often impossible. As long as the primary account holder gives permission or the person in front of the rep is an authorized user, the transaction is legit.

OP, the real issue is communicating your plans with those on your plan. She may not have known what you were waiting for. Then again she might have and did it anyway, in which case your allowed to do do sOmething back to her you know will really piss get off. :p

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

A month longer? Wait, they released dates for iPhone 5?:p
    Honestly, I'm not sure why you are so concerned. She needed a new phone and probably didn't know you wanted to keep the upgrade. At least she didn't have to pay full price on her phone, if that matters.

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

My daughter has had the same issue with Verizon. she needs a new phone bad her mom and step dad have used all the contracts. it is what it is. Honestly it's not worth fussing about. most likely the 4S or I5 is said to hit September mpst likely att will allow you to upgrade as soon as it comes out. worst case wait a couple weeks.

24. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If it wasn't such a big deal why come here to make a thread and whine like a little baby?

25. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I agree. I used to have a t-mobile account and I added my sister to it after a while. They wouldn't let her do anything without me authorizing it though.

I would go to your carrier and complain that someone swiped your upgrade. Even if it is a "family plan" I think the person who's name is on the bill should have to authorize which line gets upgrades.