Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I dont see how this is going to work.

First, it pulls data from third-party hardware and software, so the data is compromised. Apple has no control over the accuracy of the data.

Second, it lacks funcionality. I want more data in order to get more comprehensive results regarding my health conditions, so I must wear 3 bands, 2 belts and 7 bandages with sensors sticked to my body in order to get all the information I want. Again, from third party vendors whose accuraccy isnt certain.

There is no single device out there that can collect all the date we may need so its pointless for the major part of the consumers. Apple had to present the iWatch with all the sensors we hear so many speculations recently and say, this is the companian app. Also, the monitoring must be constant and all the time in order to obtain valuable information.

I think Health is work in progress and will be the less used app after the compass for 99% of the iPhone users when iOS 8 kicks out. iWatch is a must in order to push this initiative into something more that one more app for some mintor porcentage of the users.

You're assuming that all the inputs into the Health app will come from wearable devices like the rumored iWatch. But you're missing the value that will come when EHR providers and healthcare organizations tap into HealthKit. People at the level of the Mayo Clinic's CEO don't drop quotes like the one that was included in yesterday's presentation lightly. Those of us who work in mobile healthcare IT appreciate tremendous potential benefit in what Apple is doing. Others, including Microsoft, have tried it, but Apple has a higher likelihood of succeeding. Yes, this will be a work-in-progress, but that applies to everything in the tech world.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
How is this innovation?

Apple did two things today:
1) Connected the devices they all ready make
2) Enable developers deeper access to the system

No new innovations from Apple yet again.

At least Tim has learned he is a bumbling idiot and let Craig to most of the talking. Now if only they had more then one guy who could give a presentation maybe I could stay focused.

(and don't call me a troll, I have been buying Apple for longer then most. Just look at the stock price after the announcement today...)

Maybe we will see something exciting at the iPhone/iPad announcements later this year.

What did you want? Apple is now building on a solid foundation. You really can't expect some mind blowing, game changing announcment every year...Can you? I think Apple did a nice job. A lot of cool things are happening. Future looks bright. That feeling you got in 07 when SJ held up the iPhone....Those days are over..At least for now. So might as well just get used to it. And enjoy it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have to laugh at Mark Gurman tweeting that he thinks Apple changed the app UI and name because of his leaks. Um, maybe they were testing multiple designs. Or maybe he got punked and someone sent him screen shots that were bogus. :D

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
I don't know that these were "fake"....

More i think there were internally tests or preliminary ideas before refinement and the current iteration.

They likely started with Passbook and moved on from there.

Just look at the similarity of the icons, particularly the emergency card which uses an asterisk. If they're fake, the creator made some brilliant guesses.

chezhoy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hanscom AFB, MA
I only think this will do well if the person keeps up with it. Try to keep up with updating meds when you start and stop taking them, as well as health conditions. I've used iTriage and it's still on my iPad, but I don't keep up with it.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I only think this will do well if the person keeps up with it. Try to keep up with updating meds when you start and stop taking them, as well as health conditions. I've used iTriage and it's still on my iPad, but I don't keep up with it.

Same here, I am not looking to take on another job.

Busy enough with checking e-mails or texts.

While that sounds bad related to my personal health, I think most people unless they feel pain or have a medical condition that requires tracking will not keep up with it after a while.

What would be helpful is automatic uploads after a doctor visit, so you basically always have your up to date doctor files with you.

Comes in handy when switching doctors etc.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
what do you think it means?
Innovation is change, improvement.
If you limit innovation to something that has never been done before in any way or form, by anyone, then there is no innovation.

Nest combines a proximity sensor, thermostat, clock, and display. Plus it's round, and has wifi.
We've seen proximity sensors before. We've seen displays before. We see thermostats all day long, and many of them have clocks in them. Even old-fashioned thermostats are round, and wifi has been around a long time. Nothing in the Nest is absolutely new, so Nest is not innovation.

No matter what innovation you name, someone will be around to tell you how wrong you are. And they will laugh at you for calling it "innovation", lol. Because this is the Internet, an innovative way to make fun of people.

Go ahead. Name an innovation. I dare you.

Last edited:

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
It's kind of like a diet. It only works if you stick to it. Otherwise, you just get fat.

But if Apple makes it easy to use, then some people will find it makes their life easier. If you carried a list of your medications around with you, then filling out the form at the doctor's office would be easier. My aunt travels with a binder she calls her "football".

Who uses PassBook? I use it for one thing. When I check in for a flight, the AA app offers to put a boarding pass in PassBook. Then it's very convenient to pull out the phone at the airport and see the boarding pass on the lock screen. I don't have to print a boarding pass at home. I don't have to go to the kiosk at the airport. I don't have to stand in line at the counter. Passbook makes my life easier for that one thing.

I use a different app for keeping store loyalty cards (so they don't fill up my wallet). If the stores I visit would put them on Passbook, then I'd certainly use PassBook for that, too.

If Apple and healthcare providers make it easy to use Health, so that it makes my life easier, I will use it. It can work. We'll have to wait and see if it really DOES work.

n-cholas

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
That dashboard is better than the rumor with reminders-like UI which will makes you tap it one by one.

I agree. I also think it's an indicator of what we'll see on the iWatch. In the same way users can manage their iOS apps in iTunes, I'd imagine there will be a similar tool for the iWatch where you control your notifications.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Innovation is change, improvement.
If you limit innovation to something that has never been done before in any way or form, by anyone, then there is no innovation.

Nest combines a proximity sensor, thermostat, clock, and display. Plus it's round, and has wifi.
We've seen proximity sensors before. We've seen displays before. We see thermostats all day long, and many of them have clocks in them. Even old-fashioned thermostats are round, and wifi has been around a long time. Nothing in the Nest is absolutely new, so Nest is not innovation.

No matter what innovation you name, someone will be around to tell you how wrong you are. And they will laugh at you for calling it "innovation", lol. Because this is the Internet, an innovative way to make fun of people.

Go ahead. Name an innovation. I dare you.

Since we are on an Apple site, original iPhone and iPad. It changed the industry and how people used phones/tabled. Before than the market was slowly evolving.

While for me the new MacPro is not innovation, but evolution, the box changed, but people's usage remains the same .

Fine line between innovation and evolution, and alot of people choose to claim that evolution is innovation ;)

The WWDC for me was evolution of OS X and iOS, with alot of the "innovative" ideas borrowed from the industry. Nothing last night was "wow" , good progress, but no game changes.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you've been buying apple as long as you say you have, you'd know that the stock drips the day of every announcement. Happens every time without fail. Then bounces back within the week and goes up even higher.

No, it doesn't always drip (or drop) on announcements, nor does it always bounce higher within the week. What happens depends entirely on what is announced. It normally takes a day or two for any kind of investor sentiment to emerge. I'd look at the stock price a week before and a week after to judge how the announcements are being received by investors.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
(and don't call me a troll, I have been buying Apple for longer then most. Just look at the stock price after the announcement today...)

I thought you meant Apple products, and then saw your stock comment. You're one of those people, out to make money, not enjoy quality products.

It's innovative because they're making their devices work incredibly well together. Sending a text using your Mac, answer a phone call on your iPad. While this technically wasn't impossible before, no one did it. Even on Windows 8 via Windows Phone 8. Or Android and Chrome OS.

You seem like someone who, had they announced an iWatch, said 'How is this innovative? It's just a screen on your wrist with sensors!'

----------

I have no interest in Apple's Health Initiative, don't want to even think about the issues that hacking your "iHealth / Healthbook" info can/will cause.

Just my opinion but this WWDC is uninspiring. Those that disagree, that is your opinion but I am getting concerned with Apple's (lack of) leadership and direction.

Did you, um, watch the keynote?

----------

i have never seen anyone as misinformed and misguided at you touchdown100. Did you even watch the 2 hour keynote? Are you even a developer? Apple does not need to be first! Apple gets it right! Was apple the first with the ipad? Was apple first with the mp3 player?

Here are a couple of books for you to read!

http://www.amazon.com/the-second-coming-steve-jobs/dp/0767904338

http://www.amazon.com/steve-jobs-walter-isaacson/dp/1451648537

don't underestimate apple. Look what apple did to microsoft. Microsoft is basically fighting for its survival!

This is the best keynote strategically since the release of the iphone!

Tim is kicking a** and taking names! If you think it is all about the hardware? Tell that to sony!

This! +1,000,000,000,000

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Care to elaborate, other than the obvious goal of being first and not providing meaningful comment?

So far all I see is a nicety for health care industry if patients so choose to use this, but overall I find it hard to fathom the majority of people will care enough to track this type of information to even care about Apple's all in one location for putting the info. If American's have proven one thing, it's that they don't care about their health (see obesity epidemic).

I actually think this platform does have the potential to be of significant benefit to health care consumers but not necessarily to the fitness buffs that most people seem to assume are the principal targets.

Our local hospital and medical practices are now on their third consumer interaction platform and this one (it's on the App Store) isn't working any better than the earlier attempts. It simply stops working and closes better than half the time. If the Apple offering provides a secure and reliable method of keeping records and allowing interaction with providers it will indeed be of very significant benefit to many health care consumers.

I think the primary beneficiaries will be people like myself who care for persons with intensive health care needs, although I am sure many others will benefit as well. My 93 year old father has several doctors (dermatologist, primary care, urologist, neurologist) and many laboratory and other tests, vitals, prescriptions, appointments, etc. When it works our consumer interaction platform provides a convenient way to keep information in one place and facilitate communication between us and our providers. Our friends have a teen son who is afflicted with a rare form of cancer and their need for interaction with the health care system is even greater than ours.

I actually use such a system that works pretty well. The Veterans Administration has a platform called MyHealthEVet that provides a very effective secure central records repository and communication system. I can refill my prescription online, access my annual lab test results and make appointments with my VA provider. My health care needs are not particularly great so I'm not exactly pushing it very hard, but the capability seems to be there.

If this new application platform provides a secure and reliable way for health care consumers and providers to interact and keep healthcare records in one centrally available location, I think it will be a truly game changing improvement if it is adopted by a critical mass of hospitals and medical practices. Apple has the credibility and organizational capability to actually make this happen. Let's hope!

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Since we are on an Apple site, original iPhone and iPad. It changed the industry and how people used phones/tabled. Before than the market was slowly evolving.

While for me the new MacPro is not innovation, but evolution, the box changed, but people's usage remains the same .

Fine line between innovation and evolution, and alot of people choose to claim that evolution is innovation ;)

The WWDC for me was evolution of OS X and iOS, with alot of the "innovative" ideas borrowed from the industry. Nothing last night was "wow" , good progress, but no game changes.
Plenty of people called the iPad just a big iPhone (without the phone). And people sneered at the iPhone because it wasn't a "real smartphone". And the technology was a combination of existing tech. You can't win when you claim innovation. Nor can you win when you claim "not innovation".
TouchID was innovative, even though other phones had it earlier. Those earlier phones didn't really work (except for a few devotees), but Apple's implementation mostly works (except for a few glitches).
We'll have to see which of the new features Apple announced are truly innovative (using the definition that they actually change the ways people use their phones and other devices). To pronounce them one way or another right now is premature.

bakernt

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
Ehr

Why is no one talking about the integration of Epic? It seems like most people don't really understand the power/possibility this is going to offer up. IMO the integration of Epic, if you are in a health system that uses it, will reduce paperwork, increase quality of care and patient outcome. Being able to provide external data points into an EHR will dramatically improve the advice that will be provided by your Dr. This would also be great if you could take your records with you or even review past health issues.

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
I think it is obvious that you are not a Developer! Am I right?

Yes you are correct. I am a consumer that have purchased numerous Apple products ..... and likely your developer app for them, thanks. My concern is not with the developer side of Apple, great Apps, Outstanding operating systems.

This thread provided me an outlet to express my disappointment with Apple's lack of leadership and vision. It appears Apple is trying to maintain its image with the younger generations buying Beats ..... that is not a good long term strategy. Is Apple's best days behind them? I don't know, I hope not but for now I am concerned. IMO, the best thing going for Apple today is Windows 8.

kennyab

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
Funny when samsung copies apple the front page is filled with sheep, apple clearly taking a leaf out of samsungs book here and its no where to be seen.

Just because Samsung held a press conference a week before WWDC to beat Apple to the punch about announcing a health API doesn't mean that they're actually ahead of Apple in that arena.

Here's the reality of the situation. Samsung said that they'll have the API ready to go by the end of the year for developers to start using. Apple HAS the API ready to go today. It has already partnered with big players in the healthcare market so HealthKit will be usable at the time of iOS 8's release in the fall.

The whole world has known that Apple was going to be ready to introduce HealthKit at WWDC for quite a while now. Samsung used that knowledge to be the first to announce a product. Apple will actually be first to deliver their solution.

And while I can't prove it, I'd feel pretty confident in betting that Apple's being working on its solution for a much longer time, based solely on the fact that they're ACTUALLY ahead in terms of development and release date. So no, Apple's not actually copying Samsung just because they don't feel the need to be the first to tell everyone about it.

I dont see how this is going to work.

First, it pulls data from third-party hardware and software, so the data is compromised. Apple has no control over the accuracy of the data.

Second, it lacks funcionality. I want more data in order to get more comprehensive results regarding my health conditions, so I must wear 3 bands, 2 belts and 7 bandages with sensors sticked to my body in order to get all the information I want. Again, from third party vendors whose accuraccy isnt certain.

There is no single device out there that can collect all the date we may need so its pointless for the major part of the consumers. Apple had to present the iWatch with all the sensors we hear so many speculations recently and say, this is the companian app. Also, the monitoring must be constant and all the time in order to obtain valuable information.

Where to start. First off, people will probably wear ONE monitor continuously for tracking activity/sleep (and possibly pulse). There are plenty of solutions for this already, and third party reviewers test those devices to make sure they work as advertised. That's why it's important to research before buying a device.

Other measurements will be taken by devices that people already use intermittently. People with diabetes who are already using blood sugar monitors will still use them as they currently do. Same with blood pressure cuffs. Or scales you step on once a day to get your weight. The difference is that these devices will auto sync via HealthKit so you don't have to manually track the results -- your history from all of these different devices will be stored in one place.

As for accuracy concerns, that's nothing new. If you're using a blood sugar monitor or blood pressure cuff, you're still already depending on those devices to give you accurate results. That's why apple is partnering with existing device manufacturers instead of building their own. These devices are regulated, and the companies who build them already deal with those regulations. The introduction of HealthKit doesn't change anything.

As for the "all the time" thing, devices like FitBit already deal with this. That's also why Apple developed the A7 co-processor, so that continuous measurements could be taken with a component that draws very little juice. That's a solved problem.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I don't think I like it, I do own a withings scale and it is brilliant at syncing up with my iphone. But I don't think I fancy having to buy multiple bits of plastic to get a clear picture of my health.
I don't know what you're talking about, but I absolutely hate the Withings Health Mate app and would love to replace it with this. Third party hardware accessory maker, do your job and integrate with my OS of choice! Hurry!!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Plenty of people called the iPad just a big iPhone (without the phone). And people sneered at the iPhone because it wasn't a "real smartphone". And the technology was a combination of existing tech. You can't win when you claim innovation. Nor can you win when you claim "not innovation".
TouchID was innovative, even though other phones had it earlier. Those earlier phones didn't really work (except for a few devotees), but Apple's implementation mostly works (except for a few glitches).
We'll have to see which of the new features Apple announced are truly innovative (using the definition that they actually change the ways people use their phones and other devices). To pronounce them one way or another right now is premature.

So forget the 3rd person view. Did you find the iPhone and iPad innovative ?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
So forget the 3rd person view. Did you find the iPhone and iPad innovative ?
I have found every iteration of the iPhone and the iPad innovative.
I wake each day to marvel at the power and accessibility of these devices, and to wonder how I lived without them.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yes you are correct. I am a consumer that have purchased numerous Apple products ..... and likely your developer app for them, thanks. My concern is not with the developer side of Apple, great Apps, Outstanding operating systems.

This thread provided me an outlet to express my disappointment with Apple's lack of leadership and vision. It appears Apple is trying to maintain its image with the younger generations buying Beats ..... that is not a good long term strategy. Is Apple's best days behind them? I don't know, I hope not but for now I am concerned. IMO, the best thing going for Apple today is Windows 8.
If apple didn't have a vision, they wouldn't have introduced the crazy developer tools they did yesterday. A company without a vision doesn't develop something like sprint, which will likely very shortly become a threat to gaming consoles (2-4 years). They wouldn't have announced an initiative for product designers to allow their devices to hook into an ecosystem of 800+ million ready to go devices without having to worry about the insane fragmentation (in terms of feature sets and hardware) that exists on the Android side.

If they didn't have a vision they wouldn't have just announced the most comprehensive seamless experience between devices that the computing world has ever seen.

It seems that the ones without a vision are those who think that yesterday was a "meh" announcement, ignoring the fact that WWDC is no longer a place for consumers, but for the developers to implement new technologies that will continue (in this case accelerate dramatically) to provide a cohesive ecosystem that simply cannot be matched under the business models that Apple's biggest competitors use.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
You (and many others in this thread) are missing the point. Apple is building a foundation for integrating comprehensive health-related information on iOS. The iWatch and similar devices will provide one source of data for the Health app, but Apple's announcement that it's working with organizations like the Mayo Clinic and Epic is at least as exciting. So, for example, it'll be possible for information such as lab results, prescriptions/drug warnings, and appointments to flow into the Health app automatically.

The percentage of older individuals who use healthcare resources is will continue to rise as formerly-fatal diseases become manageable, chronic conditions. And, even for young people who are basically healthy, Health and HealthKit will help them stay that way.

I don't think that the CEO of the Mayo Clinic was exaggerating when he said that HealthKit will revolutionize how the health industry interacts with people.

It's a tool

It's up to the individual

----------

No reason to stop eating bread.

Empty carbs

What's your body fat?

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Maybe apple is thinking of this as a platform like the App Store, airplay etc where different third part devices can fill in different aspects.

Maybe iWatch is intended as one major device which will start filling in the info but not seen as the only.

----------

It's a tool

It's up to the individual

----------

Empty carbs

What's your body fat?

By the way impedance or caliper methods are incredibly inaccurate.

I just did mine with those two and compared to DEXA method which is much much more accurate since it measures density from diffraction and calculates fat from the differential density of fat vs bone vs muscle and the result was totally different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.