Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Right on top, I don't think your request for a date is unreasonable.

Having said that, this following can happen:

I have a little inkling is how you came off when speaking to them.

Once upon a time I had to deal with the public. When the customer came out demanding and raises his voice and all indignant, and how come I am not helping him despite my explanation of the company's policy... I just shut down and "go by the book."

The "book" is cruel. You don't want to push the employee to quote you the book, because that's the company's policy and he is not obligated to go above and beyond.

Another approach would be, explain to the employee your business cannot do without the laptop for any length of time, What do you suggest if you are in my shoes? Do I have any other options if I need to be back in business next week? and lastly, Do you have a loaner program?

Of course I wasn't there.

CapitanoFL

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Most companies would require you to send it in, and you wouldn't see your laptop for weeks, possibly months.

Yeah, right. This is exactly what is happening here in Italian Apple Store.
My MBA has been taken in, even after I have kindly asked them not to do so as I could run it from USB stick.
They have NOT called me back in 3-5days as it is stated on the receipt document I have been handed.
Today 15 days later, after 8 phone calls I made they provide me NO ETA for this damn SSD drive, no loaner, no replacement, not even my broken laptop back :mad:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't get attitude like yours.

1. Why should people force to have to have multiple computers as backup hardware(even if they do use it for work / business)? I understand the need for data backup and offsite/cloud backup storage and restore, but expecting people to always have backup computers for manufacture defects is unreasonable.
2. I don't think what the OP asking for is unfair. An ETA on repair is not asking for too much, and i think the car analogy is apt in this situation. It is an manufacture defect, and as such Apple should help the customer make sure that they can continue their work while the repair is being done (Just like car company give out rental cars for long duration recall services)
3. While customer demanding for a replacement is usually un-warrented for simple recall/services; but at some point past a reasonable waiting period for repair, the customer should have the right to asking for it. After all would you be ok if Apple keep your computer for 2+ month for repair and not give an ETA for service.

I like many people at this forum like Apple products and are generally satisfied with their CS. But sometime they do fall short, and it is not unreasonable for us to voice our opinions about it when it does happen. In OP's case, a broken/recall computer with no ETA on repair and no help from Apple CS to come to a mutually satisfactory outcome, is not the the kind of CS I come to expect from Apple.

You can buy a computer as a consumer, or you can buy it as a business, with a different contract. For a consumer, being without their computer for two weeks is a pain, but something you may have to live with. Once the time it takes is excessive, you have certain rights as a consumer. Getting your money back may be one. Getting a loaner machine is not.

As a business, where something like that is unacceptable, you go and get a business contract, which costs a bit more (I think for a _huge_ amount of money per year, you can actually have an Apple employee permanently on your premises). Or you have spare computers around. If you don't do that and get treated as a consumer, that's just tough.

undesign

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
This thred is a prime example of why parts in apples Computers need to be user replaceable.

mbike999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Right on top, I don't think your request for a date is unreasonable.

Having said that, this following can happen:

I have a little inkling is how you came off when speaking to them.

Once upon a time I had to deal with the public. When the customer came out demanding and raises his voice and all indignant, and how come I am not helping him despite my explanation of the company's policy... I just shut down and "go by the book."

The "book" is cruel. You don't want to push the employee to quote you the book, because that's the company's policy and he is not obligated to go above and beyond.

Another approach would be, explain to the employee your business cannot do without the laptop for any length of time, What do you suggest if you are in my shoes? Do I have any other options if I need to be back in business next week? and lastly, Do you have a loaner program?

Of course I wasn't there.

I totally agree with what you're saying, but the honest truth is that I never once raised my voice or said any kind of obscenities with the 10+ people I talked to.

The approach you mention was the exact one I took, and despite the conversation going well with their customer service Reps agreeing with the premise of the problem, it ended with them saying that there was nothing they would do beyond "waiting", and they didn't even have an estimated date when I could expect some resolution.

I'm tired. So much for a constructive conversation.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The "Genius" offered that I put a new, $1200 macbook air on my credit card and just return it before 14 days. Not possible for me, and it seems like a huge liability.
Seems like a very easy solution to your situation, and it's at Apple's expense to boot.

Out of curiosity, why is this not possible for you?

Jedi Master

macrumors regular
While back on the Winery the business goes to pot.

This thred is a prime example of why parts in apples Computers need to be user replaceable.

"The MBA has a very specialized solid state hard drive, which makes the situation more complicated, and the part is backordered. I totally get that. "

The OP seems to understand the scope of the issue. But has refused to to accept some reasonable options to see him thru this diffacult time. It's also unclear if ihis Mac Air is still working as he has opted to keep it instead of leaving at Apple or sending it in for repair. I don' t doubt he may have one of the drives affected by the recall. He does seem to have a basic entry Mac Air purchased in the time window.

As for an ETA for the part, I understand the desire to know when it will be fixed. If they don't have one, ETA Would he prefer they lie and make-up a date. I'm sure if they had one they would tell him. I'm waiting on a repair for about six months now (without an ETA )by a company well known for great customer service. I'm I happy no but I understand and to be fair it not under warranty but already paired for the repair, that company is Rolex.

Yes, it's sad there is no ETA and I understand but isn't that better than wishful thinking or a flat out lie?

What is clear the the OP just joined and has refused reasonable solutions. He seems more interested in whining an getting new replacement for his almost year old laptop. He's also been very clear he's special.

Mission critical, well not so much. If it were Mission critical it seems like he would chosen one of the solution offered on this tread and get on with Business.

Instead of business were busy making wine, so where is the cheese.

GTBJW

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
ATL
what is clear the the op just joined and has refused reasonable solutions. He seems more interested in whining an getting new replacement for his almost year old laptop. He's also been very clear he's special.

Mission critical, well not so much. If it were mission critical it seems like he would chosen one of the solution offered on this tread and get on with business.

+1

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's also unclear if ihis Mac Air is still working as he has opted to keep it instead of leaving at Apple or sending it in for repair.
FWIW, he covers that in his OP.

I just wanted to share what has been an abysmal customer service experience with Apple regarding my Macbook air. My Macbook (purchased in Jan 2013) was one of apparently a number of MBA's with a defective hard drive. The computer would not boot past the "?" folder screen.

----------

What is clear the the OP just joined and has refused reasonable solutions.
I'm curious to see why floating a charge on a credit card for 14-days to essentially "secure" a loaner wasn't an option. I don't see where he'd incur any cost for this, but perhaps there's something unique with his credit situation.

IMO, it's certainly not an ideal solution. But there's nothing ideal about this situation at all, going back to the root of Toshiba having manufactured/sold a ton of these defective SSDs. :(

mbike999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
"The MBA has a very specialized solid state hard drive, which makes the situation more complicated, and the part is backordered. I totally get that. "

The OP seems to understand the scope of the issue. But has refused to to accept some reasonable options to see him thru this diffacult time. It's also unclear if ihis Mac Air is still working as he has opted to keep it instead of leaving at Apple or sending it in for repair. I don' t doubt he may have one of the drives affected by the recall. He does seem to have a basic entry Mac Air purchased in the time window.

As for an ETA for the part, I understand the desire to know when it will be fixed. If they don't have one, ETA Would he prefer they lie and make-up a date. I'm sure if they had one they would tell him. I'm waiting on a repair for about six months now (without an ETA )by a company well known for great customer service. I'm I happy no but I understand and to be fair it not under warranty but already paired for the repair, that company is Rolex.

Yes, it's sad there is no ETA and I understand but isn't that better than wishful thinking or a flat out lie?

What is clear the the OP just joined and has refused reasonable solutions. He seems more interested in whining an getting new replacement for his almost year old laptop. He's also been very clear he's special.

Mission critical, well not so much. If it were Mission critical it seems like he would chosen one of the solution offered on this tread and get on with Business.

Apparently the trolls here are like whack-a-moles. They just keep coming back in force. It seems pretty clear at this point that I'm just adding fuel to a fire, but I'll humor you nonetheless.

You state that I've refused reasonable solutions. The fact is I have been offered none. I'm not putting a $1500 liability on my credit card - maybe that's "reasonable" for you, since you can afford a Rolex, but not for me.

Also, the Mac is with Apple and not in my possession, so you are just wrong there. You are also wrong that I am some how begging for a new computer. I merely posted that as an option as it is clearly written in their warranty. I would gladly accept a loaner in the interim.

The fact is, even if I wasn't a business user this would still be a poor CS experience. You and your cronies are just too busy making personal attacks and being subjective to realize that.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You state that I've refused reasonable solutions. The fact is I have been offered none. I'm not putting a $1500 liability on my credit card - maybe that's "reasonable" for you, since you can afford a Rolex, but not for me.
Liability? It's a charge on your credit card that will be refunded to your credit card in 14 days. Where's the liability/charge to you? You won't be carrying the balance for more than 30 days after your statement cuts, so it should all be a wash.

This entire situation is crappy. I think it's crappy that it happened in the first place. I think it's crappy that whatever supplier Apple is using for replacement drives can't make them fast enough. I think it's crappy that the supplier won't give Apple any dates. I don't think it's reasonable for Apple to be expected to give new machines to everyone affected by this issue. I think Apple is being reasonable by offering a loaner laptop, secured by a credit card deposit that will be refunded.

Last edited:

mbike999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
For my job, I work extensively in the field with the computer, so yes, it is a huge liability to risk it being lost/stolen/broken.

I'm sorry that my pay grade appears to be so much lower and situation so different than the average person on this forum that these solutions are actually problematic.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
For my job, I work extensively in the field with the computer, so yes, it is a huge liability to risk it being lost/stolen/broken.

I'm sorry that my pay grade appears to be so much lower and situation so different than the average person on this forum that these solutions are actually problematic.
Look, I see people here reacting to your different comments, but I've seen nobody that seems to think this situation is an example of great customer service, or that any of the workarounds being offered aren't problematic.

So if it's a huge liability that any loaner laptop might be lost/stolen/broken, then to me, that means your regular Mac is subject to the same huge liability. As a business person, you've got to have some contingency for that, no?

I mean, it's not on Apple to help you if your regular Mac was lost/stolen/broken, so what's your plan for your business continuity in that situation? :eek:

No offense or judgement, but I've never run across anyone with enough savvy to run their own business that didn't have $1500 worth of available credit to float a temporary charge like this.

Again, nothing about this situation is ideal, but sounds like in terms of not being able to take Apple up on their "loaner" computer idea, you've effectively painted yourself into a no-win situation where the only workable solution for you is that Apple either repairs your computer pronto (which they can't do until their supplier gets them replacement parts), or they replace your Mac with a brand-new one (which is a solution that simply doesn't scale for this situation, as there are likely tens of thousands of customers in your situation).

mbike999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
I don't really have anything to say, other than that multiple Apple reps I spoke to advised Against purchasing and returning a computer. So this was by no means a "recommended solution".

A lot of you seem to be taking this to the extreme. I merely wanted to point out what I thought was a crappy way of handling things by a company, to warn future buyers what to expect, but apparently I've offended the Holy Apple contingent .

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
A store manager has the ability to replace your machine. If you want, go into another store plead your case and don't demand anything just basically ask for a courtesy. Explain that its critical you have a laptop and you have exhausted all options and hope he sympathizes enough with you to make an accommodation. Just to set your expectations, this is rare but possible.

mbike999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
A store manager has the ability to replace your machine. If you want, go into another store plead your case and don't demand anything just basically ask for a courtesy. Explain that its critical you have a laptop and you have exhausted all options and hope he sympathizes enough with you to make an accommodation. Just to set your expectations, this is rare but possible.

Thanks. If I don't have a response or at least an ETA in two weeks, I'll try that approach.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
That's really terrible, complete opposite of the experience some people had. One guy reported that Apple replaced his 2012 MBA with a maxed out 2013 MBA since they didn't have any SSDs in stock to replace the failed out.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't really have anything to say, other than that multiple Apple reps I spoke to advised Against purchasing and returning a computer. So this was by no means a "recommended solution".
Per your OP, this was a solution offered to you by the store. Hard to say it's not a recommended solution, when the store handling your repair was the one offering it to you.

A lot of you seem to be taking this to the extreme. I merely wanted to point out what I thought was a crappy way of handling things by a company, to warn future buyers what to expect, but apparently I've offended the Holy Apple contingent .
With the corner that you've boxed yourself into, the only "not crappy way" of handling the situation would be to give you a new MacBook Air. I agree that would be a very great way to handle the situation, and I wish you well with your attempt to contact a store manager (although in your third post in this thread, you said you had already attempted this), but I don't see Apple giving everyone in your situation a replacement machine is feasible. Do you?

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
Customer Service

The "Genius" offered that I put a new, $1200 macbook air on my credit card and just return it before 14 days. Not possible for me, and it seems like a huge liability.
(Written from my Android Phone)

These guys don't deserve to be working with the public. This kind of action cost shareholders as well as customers, as the associated costs are simply baked into the costs of the machines.

Go back to the store and see if you can get the names of the people you spoke to. Then email Tim Cook, and some of the other C-level executives (email addresses are floating around the web - Google is your friend). Ask them whether it makes more financial sense to have one machine entering the "refurbished" pool, or one per week.

Let them know that you have a bunch of people online watching the response with interest.

My bet is that you will end up with a new one fairly quickly.
And that some jobs will open up at your local store.

jackzig

macrumors member
Stellar Customer Service

Somehow I think we are not hearing the "whole" story. I've been an Apple customer for over 30 years, and one thing I can attest to, is stellar Customer Service. Apple wants their customers to be happy and content, not bad mouthing them on a public forum.

I have a 5 year old iMac whose screen went kapooy last winter. It's my personal computer, I don't use it for business. I made an appointment with a Genius, he told me the video cable was bad, and replaced it for a few bucks. Several days later the screen went kapooy again, back I went to the Apple Store and the Genius. This time he told me it was probably the video card, and he would need to order it and it would take about a week. I must have looked crestfallen because he offered to loan me a MB, I didn't even ask. I refused the offer because I really didn't need it. When my iMac had the new video card installed within a day or two it went kapooy again. Once again I shlepped it back. This time they thought it must be the display, which meant another week of waiting. Well you guessed it, that wasn't the problem either, it ended up the logic board was bad. They credited the previous "fixes" but let me keep the new parts. So basically I have a nearly new iMac for the price of a new logic board. When I picked the iMac up the store manager came over, shook my hand, and gave me a $100 gift card for being so patient and understanding.

To me that was stellar customer service. :)

mbike999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Well, patience and persistence has paid off. After multiple phone conversations and chats with various Store Managers and Apple care, I finally have a reasonable solution. Apple is offering to supply a loaner computer (through a third party) and they will replace the computer after two weeks of the initial dropoff if the part is still MIA.

It's annoying that it took so long to reach someone who was willing to work towards a better solution, but I'm glad I found someone who was willing to step up.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I feel for your situation but as a small business owner myself, relying on anyone or anything other that yourself will lead you to one place, broke!

Glad to hear they are doing something for you but you should have alternate plans that you control in the future.

mbike999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
I feel for your situation but as a small business owner myself, relying on anyone or anything other that yourself will lead you to one place, broke!

Glad to hear they are doing something for you but you should have alternate plans that you control in the future.

Thanks, I agree, it's a necessity to have a backup plan (mine has been working at the local library). Just expected a more swift resolution based on past experiences with Apple, that's all. My intent was never to whine or suggest that I somehow deserve special treatment, it was just to get feedback from people in similar situations to see what their experience has been.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
There is no ETA for the part. I work for an AASP and every time we order these, we never get an ETA. They just show up eventually. They can't give you an ETA because there isn't one.

What they should be doing is subbing these drives for whatever size is available that is larger than your model shipped with. As far as I know, other capacities are not having any availability issues (probably because they do not suffer from the same fault).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.