a N00b's Journey in Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohla313, Apr 24, 2010.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Hey everyone! Not a new member but have been lurking around the boards. Here's my first post...I got a MBP and want to upgrade the 160GB hard drive it came with. I looked around the forums and it seems the WD Scorpio Blue 1TB drive will fit. What external enclosure would fit the current drive in my MBP? I want to wipe out my current drive once the WD drive is installed and use it for Time Machine. How would I go about wiping out my 160GB drive? What are the steps in setting up the 1TB HD once installed in the MBP?

Thanks everyone

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, you just install the 1TB, then boot from OS X disk and install OS X. Then put the old HD in enclosure/dock and transfer the files you need from it to the new one and then erase it with Disk Utility

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

thanks! but what enclosure should I get for my current HD? Also I read something about putting 00s in disk utility somewhere to make sure the drive is fully wiped? How do I do this?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This looks good and fairly priced. Zero wipe out is useless as you're going to use the drive, if you sold it, it would be good thing to do but not needed now

5. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

ah. so what criteria should i be looking for in an external enclosure for my MBP HD? It has to only be SATA, 2.5,..and what else?

I appreciate your help so far

8. BeamWalker macrumors 6502a

BeamWalker

The controller needs to be able to handle the size of the harddrive you want to put in it. You should be Ok with a 160GB HD though. Most controllers handle up to 500GB.

I would just buy a cheap 2,5 USB enclosure as the firewire ones are up to 10 times as expensive. I bought a MacPower SK2500 as the design is very apple-like. It also handles drives with 12,5mm height & up to 1TB. I got it for 15,- Euros and I'm fairly happy with it.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That enclosure works as it has USB too, the eSATA just doesn't. It must be 2.5" SATA with USB output (=90% of enclosures work)

10. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

ok great! so as long as it is SATA and 2.5" I am fine and it will support my MBP's 160GB HD? I can do the wipe of the drive after I install the new drive through the Disk Utility. As for setting up the new drive, I install it and then press C to boot from OS X DVD and run it from there?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, the enclosure you linked works, so does the one I linked

Yes, but transfer the files (if you want) from the old one to new one before wiping. Then just install the 1TB and OS X

12. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

thanks but another question I have is that when I install the new OS, will the battery charge cycles be erased? Will OS X roll back the charge to 0 or still know I charged it before?

and would using firewire be better for time machine or is usb fine?

13. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Firewire is faster, but either works fine.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Battery has its own CPU so I think no, it's not stored in HD.

USB is fine, FW is more expensive and it's only a small upgrade

15. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

ok great thank you! also would you know what screwdrivers I would need to open my MBP and move the mounting screws from my current drive to the new one? Like is there a set I can buy that includes those? Would I also need mounting screws to put my current drive into the external enclosure?

16. BeamWalker macrumors 6502a

BeamWalker

17. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

18. davidlv macrumors 65816

19. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

oh the one on the site is kind of pricey and 22 bucks including shipping for 2 screwdrivers? I think I will go to lowes for the screwdrivers then.

Would I also need mounting screws to put my current drive into the external enclosure? I was going to take the screws off my current drive to put on the 1TB but when I put my current drive into the enclosure wouldn't I need screws?

thanks!

20. breathesrain macrumors regular

Actually...
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/TOOLKITMHD/
    :D only 5$ before shipping, has just the tools you need.

21. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Installed 1TB in MBP now need help setting up drive!!

Ok so I installed the drive fine but it took awhile to boot from CD is that ok? Anyways from there I was told to go to disk utility and partition it but how many partitions do I make? 1? I plan to only run OS X on this MBP. So I go to Partition select how many partitions? and then click apply?

Thanks!

22. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

If your making a partition for windows or something it makes sense but I do not see why you need to other wise. Just let the harddrive be. But hey if you want win7 I would just partition some GBs for windows since you do have 1 tb hhd. Might be slow if the rpm is lower.

23. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

But when the patition choices are set to "current" it won't let me do anything. Or format the drive..I should just not format it and boot from the CD then?? The only way I could click apply is if I set it to "1 partition"

24. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Ok so I went ahead anyways because the disk was running and it appears that now the HD has 989 GB free...did I do something wrong here?? I mean I don't really mind the lost 10 GB but I feel like something went awry..

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. Create "1" partition and then the other options should be available such as format which you need to do to format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Once you've done that then you can continue to install OS X.

You'll never have the exact amount of what your HDD is, that 989 MB is correct.