A REALLY Nice Mouse (Compatibility Concerns for the Razer Mamba )

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by callsignAPOLLO, Jan 15, 2009.

1. callsignAPOLLO macrumors newbie

Ok so i'm pretty worried. This mouse is shaping up to be THE mouse of 2009 and I was thinking of getting it; I do a fair amount of gaming.

I have a PC Bootcamp side to my mac and I know this mouse would work with that but what about the mac side?

And would i be able to switch between mac and pc without reinstalling drivers every time??

You guys probably know more about razer products and their compatibility with macs than me.

Some people have told me that http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/ this program works with macs and razer mice.

I'm also looking for a "gaming keyboard" and i'm wondering what the best one is for mac.

So any predictions about this mouse's compatibility with mac because it has better specs than any mouse i've ever seen and alot of people are gonna want that!:eek:

http://www.razerzone.com/p-198-razer-mamba-wireless-laser-gaming-mouse.aspx

2. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

When stores nearby have the Mamba in stock (they say Q4 of 2009), I'm just going to get one and try it out. If it doesn't work, I'll just return it the next day. I really, really do hope it will work nicely though.

At this point in time, the Death Adder is Razer's only mouse that is officially supported on the Mac. With the Mamba, I don't see a reason why you would ever need to "reinstall the drivers every time" when booting between the 2 OSes. It's either going to work on the Mac or not and will consistently work on Windows. All this depends on if Steermouse or USB Overdrive will work with the Mamba.

Overall though, I'm not picky with performance with the mouse on the Mac side since I do all my gaming on Windows. As long as it will work wirelessly and I can remap the button's in OS X then I'm happy. I wouldn't be overly bothered if it didn't poll at 1000hz in OS X, for example.

3. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

I have the Razer Mamba I ordered arriving tomorrow; I'll let you guys know how well it works. At the moment, the final Windows drivers haven't even been released it so I assume it works at the firmware level, as Mamba reps have indicated to me.

4. DanTheMan macrumors member

So did you get it? Does it work with OSX?

5. KelchM macrumors regular

6. Timan macrumors member

Timan

Yea, I'm curious how well this mouse works (without the need of mouse utilities).

This looks like the best mouse (a cordless mx510 pretty much).

7. DeathscytheSeph macrumors newbie

So Mamba can work on Mac OS X right, if yes does the 6 and 7 button work on a mac, can i assign it to expose button.

and does mamba has the horizontal scroll wheel?

Thanks

8. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Still no confirmation of it being fully functional in OS X. But in many apps, you can scroll horizontally with any mouse by holding shift while spinning the scroll wheel.

9. DeathscytheSeph macrumors newbie

So Mamba does not have the native horizontal scroll. Thank for your information

PS. I still wait for the fully functional in OS X. ^^

10. KelchM macrumors regular

11. mmichalak macrumors newbie

12. KelchM macrumors regular

13. Hakaslak macrumors newbie

oh em gee! posting because I have this habit of collecting mice, and this is the first wireless mouse from razer (excluding that garbage wannabe bluetooth thing for laptops or some nonesense)

I drove 40 miles south to pick it up xD Only 3 stores in 4 districts had it, I didn't check the rest of the territory o.o

For anyone wondering, it really does have 0 detectable lag when gaming with it, even after it is on standby for a bit. The G5 and G9 had a habit of taking a couple ms to wake up when idle for a bit, the mamba does not have that issue. It is instant, and exceedingly responsive.

It feels exactly like a deathadder. it is actually shaped the same as a deathadder. carbon copy, so if you don't like the deathadder, pass up on the mamba

The cord is the same as before, but covered with a braided cloth(?) sheath so it is not rubbery, but more stiff and much more slippery. If you've ever felt the pigtails off of a wifi omni antenna or something, similar braiding, not nearly as stiff, but same texture

And contrary to the razerzone website, it works perfectly fine in OSX as a 5 button mouse. AFAIK, the 2 buttons next to the left mouse button at the very top are on the fly DPI togglers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. KelchM macrumors regular

15. Hakaslak macrumors newbie

Hrm. I would think you would figure that already, but yes. It does.

16. KelchM macrumors regular

Just because you can plug it in and have it move the cursor doesn't mean its working properly.

Are the buttons picked up properly by OS X?

Tell us more please.

17. Hakaslak macrumors newbie

DPI switching works.

mouse4 and mouse5 can be bound in wow, eve online and L4D.

so it works for me. I play games, and it works in games.

18. ASFx macrumors regular

How is the speed on this mouse? In my past experience, it's very hard to find a mouse that moves fast enough for me even when i turn the tracking speed all the way to the max in OS X.

19. Hakaslak macrumors newbie

I;m looking into it, but it seems to skip randomly when wireless. Not sure if it is airport or BT interference, I think it is still a 2.4ghz device.

but nonetheless, speed is something that I can't really explain. It is a tad faster than the deathadder under Windows, that's for sure.

It's also a dust magnet. Ugh.

Definitely has issues of some kind. It feels like it tracks like a cheap optical mouse. Hmm. The arrow seems to skip from place to place more than I'd care for

20. eXeraZoR macrumors newbie

When using the charging dock and the pc is off...

normaly my usb ports dont send any power when pc is off

do i need to make bios settings that they constantly can provice power even when pc is off?

21. Timan macrumors member

Timan

Fantastic post, one question though. Is it possible to turn the blue nasty led off in osx? (on the dock too)

I know you can turn it on in windows with their driver stuff. I'm just wondering if software like usb-overdrive or something has the option for it.

22. KelchM macrumors regular

I came across the DeathAdder for Mac today. Have any of you guys seen this?

Has white LEDs instead of blue and their is actually an OS X driver for it. On top of that its even reasonably priced. I think I'm going to pick one up. Tired of wireless mice dropping out because of wifi interference.

23. nutritious macrumors 6502

razer mice, besides the deathadder, are crap. In fact, every product they have besides the deathadder,lycosa and some of their mousepads are crap. I FEEL sorry for anyone who buys their lousy headsets/audio products.

24. KelchM macrumors regular

I can back you up the Lycosa.

What a piece of crap. I returned mine the same day I bought it.

25. Hakaslak macrumors newbie

Some bios have the option to power their USB hubs when off. I know my shuttle G31 chipset, Asus X48 chipset, and my EVGA X58 chipset all support it in various different terms. The macbook pro does not have the option or the ability to power USB ports while off, that I can find.

THE MOUSE HAS TO BE SWITCHED TO THE OFF POSITION TO CHARGE! There is a firmware update to be released before April third that will remedy this bug for now.

There is no option for toggling the USB LED lights that I can find in overdrive at this time.