A snooty friend needs a lesson

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CHunger, Mar 22, 2012.

1. CHunger macrumors newbie

I have a snooty, snotty, snobby friend who- although he doesn't know beans about anything- claims the new iPad is a way overhyped toy, and that the Retina Display is all in our deluded minds and is totally worthless.

...I need ONE drop-dead demo, or some easily brought up kick-ass screens, that will knock his arrogant insufferable ass for a loop. He is also quite impatient, so it has gotta be something instantly snatchable on regular 3G)

I sooo want to smoosh his nose in, and it will be my very first show-off with my new 32G Verizon. Suggestions, please!

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Does he have any other tablet at all? I have noticed it is VERY hard letting people know the advantage of a tablet, and all they say is that "laptops are better" because they think the iPad is supposed to be everything that a MacBook Pro is.

3. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

Save your valuable time and energy for other things. Advisably something more productive to your own person.

You'll almost never change these sort of minds. When the entire world is benefitting from a new tech and he/she's struggling to understand it, that's their problem - not yours.

4. JacaByte macrumors 6502

You couldn't do it even if the iPad was completely transparent, projected 3D holograms, had a version of Siri that could read your thoughts and had a battery life so long it never needed to be charged.

5. StevieWonderMic macrumors member

What he said. This idiot @ work is the same way, he's convinced the play book is better cuz its flash compatible. Well, I have both and guess which I always use..

Nothing touches the iPad.. We compare the iPad w/ the ipad2 for a reason..

Sent from my iPad

6. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Why do you give a flying frack what she thinks?

7. jltj macrumors member

I was among the first at my workplace to get the first iPad. Tonnes of people came up to me trying to convince me that tablets were pointless or useless, or that the iPad was just a large iPod touch.

I ignored them and went on enjoying my iPad.

Some of these people have bought their own iPads since then.

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Don't waste time. Even if you wowed him he will pretend to be unimpressed.

9. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Why do you feel the need to "knock his arrogant insufferable ass for a loop"? You must not have anything else to do and care way too much about what other people think. Weaksauce.

10. Dsync macrumors member

11. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Any "friend" that is as toxic as you describe needs an exit from your life! JMHO of course.

12. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The best thing to do is not care at all. Don't give a puck.

He's entitled to his opinion, as ignorant as it sounds … but don't waste your time trying to convince people.

13. CHunger, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

CHunger thread starter macrumors newbie

No no you are all being way too serious.

I am Original Poster here, and all I want is a couple of drop-dead gorgeous sites/pages I can bring up at a moments notice when we are having a gin and tonic at the bar and say: "Oh yeah? Just look at THIS." and kinda rub his nose in it....

....in other words, what looks really good and kick-ass in an immediate and simple demo?

14. EarlZ macrumors regular

If you need to prove something to him, either there is something wrong with you or your just doing a purchase justification. If your happy with your product you should not give a damn about what others think.

15. Skika macrumors 68030

Chop some vegetables with it. He will sure be impressed.

16. Taimaru, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

Taimaru macrumors member

You'll never be able to convince him so I don't bother trying.

I have a couple of work colleagues and a friend like that and what I do is to subtly make sure they don't get to see the iPad yet do something useful on it in front of them.

You can see them straining to see what's on my iPad but they try not to make it obvious as they think it could weaken their argument. It annoys them that they can't see what's on my iPad.

Eventually they ask to have a play with the iPad and I say "I thought you said it was rubbish" and then I walk off. They end up being really annoyed as they are obviously curious and I get great satisfaction out of that :D.

17. CHunger thread starter macrumors newbie

No EarlZ... I just really want to have some fun with my new iPad and do some (maybe unseemly) showing- off. For F's sake...don't you know how to have a good time?

..../me thinks there is something wrong with you

18. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I would just agree with him and dissuade him from getting an iPad. Then you'll have the satisfaction of knowing he'll have to live without an iPad.

You could download some really lovely, high resolution images. Don't try to view them in safari, it down samples.

You could use numbers and pull up a very large spear sheet and view lots of cells. You could pull up a complex font with fine line art and small fonts.

However, I agree with the others. If someone is bound and determined to disagree with you providing evidence against their thinking will just make them dig in their heels.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

20. CHunger thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe neutrino and iblue yes that is more like it!: I just want to dazzle him.

He is not prejudiced- he just needs evidence!

And if we can wow him, he might himself become a great enthusiast...

So all I am asking for is a lists of sites/places that show off the new iPad to glorious advantage, quickly and easily.

21. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Games > Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy, Modern Combat 3, Real Racing 2, Galaxy On Fire 2 HD.

22. qCzar macrumors regular

Prove it with a "photo contest." Have him take a photo with his tablet, or camera and import it to a laptop. And you'd take a photo of the same object at the same time on your iPad 3. He'll see the difference; I noticed amazing clarity in the photos I took just because of the screen itself.

23. jacktorrance macrumors regular

...or maybe grow up and spend your time more wisely.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

WOW!

All of these posts and not a single suggestion. Perhaps your friend is right?

As more days go by, it seems more is revealed to support his position.

I cant tell anymore who is being deluded but I have 7 days left to decide.