A Stealth 2011 Mini Has Already Been Released

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Minicube, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Minicube macrumors regular

So I was thinking, what we are all waiting for is a Mini with an i5 processor (or better), SSD option, and T-bolt connector. It's already here; it's called a 13-inch Macbook Pro. Just connect it to your large non-glossy display and keyboard/mouse and close the lid. It has a somewhat bigger footprint than a Mini, but a reduced height. You can do BTO SSD drives, and with T-bolt you have unlimited super fast storage once peripherals are released.

The only downside is the price; it's about $500 more than a Mini. But there is also a very big plus, it's mobile and comes with a small LCD. Unhook it from your large display and keyboard and you are good to go anywhere.

Maybe this is why Apple is waiting so long to update the Mini; they'd love us to fork out the extra $500.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's possible, but that's the way it's been for a while. The base MBP/MacBook and the Mini generally share the same/similar specs, but different prices.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

you are correct By delaying the mac mini it had to boost sales of the macbook pro 13 inch. In fact depending on hdd access the macbook pro may be better to buy. even if it cost more.

4. iDave macrumors 6502a

I would rather buy a much, much better Mac mini with my $1199, thanks. But unfortunately, I can't. And I already have a notebook.

5. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

That all OK, now give me this config without the LCD screen and keyboard, for 699/799 €.

6. Jef88 macrumors newbie

Is the 13'' MBP really that more powerful than a 2010 MM ?

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

It is far better in every test except one gaming.

8. Jef88 macrumors newbie

That's not a problem for me. I'm not a p.c gamer at all '-)
    Thanks, I think it's worth it to wait a little longer before considering the purchase of a MM 2011.

9. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

YEAH FOR ME I am getting a macbook pro 13 or a mac mini 2011 I want the quicker cpu.

I want t-bolt now if t-bolt external hdds don't boot I will need to rethink a lot.

I have 3 macs and a small windows netbook. I can wait to get what I want. I want something like this pair of shots I found on flicker but only if it boots. I would need two externals.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusionf2.html

these are supposed to come in t-bolt they would also work for me. they could stack nicely

Attached Files:

10. Snips macrumors regular

I used my 13" MacBook Pro in the mode the OP describes, and it wrecked the fans - I recommend only using with display open.

11. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

+1 (but in US$)

12. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

it works fine with a laptop cooler under it.

13. Minicube thread starter macrumors regular

"I used my 13" MacBook Pro in the mode the OP describes, and it wrecked the fans - I recommend only using with display open."

How does it wreck the fans? Surely it doesn't vent hot air across the keyboard. My black macbook and Air vent out the back under the closed cover. Is the MBP different?

14. Minicube thread starter macrumors regular

"I would rather buy a much, much better Mac mini with my $1199, thanks. But unfortunately, I can't. And I already have a notebook."

In what way is a Mini "much much" better?

IMO there are only two reasons to buy a Mini:
    1. You simply don't have the additional cash for a laptop (although you could get a used model for the price of a Mini)

2. You already have a laptop and want a Mini as a second computer, or to hook up to a large screen TV.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Mini fan; it's just that you can get the same functionality (today) in a laptop which is also mobile. Granted, it's a few hundred $ more. But if you're tired of waiting. Also, it sounds like replaced the HD in the MBP is easier.

15. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Not everyone wants all their computers to be mobile. Some people have dedicated workstations. They certainly don't want to pay *a few hundred* more if they don't want a mobile computer.

16. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

If you feel the top (keyboard and plastic/metal around it) of any macbook (standard, Pro or Air) when it is running and it will get warmish to the touch. If you then close the lid but keep the machine running the keyboard and area in front of it will get hotter as it no longer has the ambient air to cool it, instead it is now insulated by the LCD monitor. This means the fans have to run faster to keep the machine cool.

This will over time stress the fans more than usual. It is the same effect if you place your laptop on a pillow the material underneath the laptop will insulate the underside so you get less airflow under your laptop so the fans need to run faster to keep the machine cool.

This is true of all laptops some are more effected than others but if you run the CPU/GPU very hard with a temperature monitor you will notice it runs hotter with higher fan speed with the lid closed. This is because the cooling is designed primarily assuming the lid will be open. Standing a Macbook on the side (so the underside and top of the macbook are exposed to the air) will help with the cooling hence why all the closed lid laptop holders usually have the laptop in this configuration to aid cooling.

Edwin

17. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

I don't think the poster was saying the mini is "much much better". What my interpretation is that if the poster was to spend $1100+ (s)he would rather spend it on a significantly better machine than what the MBP components currently contain. In that case a $1100+ Mac mini would have a Quad i7, two swapable hdd bays, two TB connections, spec spec spec, etc.

My reason for wanting a mini doesn't fall into your list of reasons for buying a mini. I just know that the mini is more than enough computer for everything I'll be doing with it.

18. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

1.) You are spending money on things you don't need like a monitor, battery etc that you could be spending that on things you might want like more RAM or a bigger HD.
    2.) Cooling is better in a mini than a laptop meaning increased reliability under heavy load. This is useful in certain circumstances.
    3.) Mini uses less power (again because it does not have all these extra things you might not want)
    4.) Mini is a smaller form factor than a Macbook and does not have a large power supply that needs to have room for cooling.
    5.) Mini can come with two HD's in a standard and supported configuration.
    6.) Macbook is cumbersome to use in closed lid mode (you cannot boot the machine without opening the lid) so it cannot be as easily used in places where space is a premium.

I am sure I can come up with more, now I like Macbooks and minis equally but a macbook is not a replacement for a Mac mini. They are very different beasts and they have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Edwin

p.s. If you want to play games stay way from machines that only have the HD3000 card they are under powered for gaming and lack certain features required for the newer games. You can play the older classic games like Pirates! & Rome but newer UE3 games like Borderlands will struggle.

p.p.s Disclosure: As you can see from my signature I worked on the games mentioned I used them as examples as I know from testing how they behave on the HD3000 card.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

Clamshell mode is an approved way of using a MB or MBP:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

I've been using my MBP this way for around a year, and it's just fine. The issue you had with your fans was probably coincidental.

Putting it in upside-down a vertical stand helps with venting the warm air.

[​IMG]

20. CLWelch macrumors member

He didn't say that a Mac Mini is "much much better." He said that if he needed something with the functionality of a Mac Mini and was going to spend $1199 dollars on it, he'd rather have a Mac Mini with much better specs rather than a MacBook Pro.

There are plenty of reasons a person would want a Mini rather than a MacBook Pro besides the ones that you mentioned. (Some people would rather use an iPad as their mobile computer. They have no need to have a laptop in their lives.) A lot of people need a computer, and they know they're never going to leave the house with it. Even if you like the idea of spending of an extra $500 for parts you don't need, it's still redundant and wasteful.

Also, the people who fit into your second category make up a sizable market. Why would Apple ignore that?

21. Minicube thread starter macrumors regular

His actual quote was: "I would rather buy a much, much better Mac mini..."

He was referring to a Mac Mini that doesn't exist. I don't think there is ANY chance that Apple will release a powerhouse, quad core i7 Mini unless they completely revisit the concept of the Mini which is a low-cost consumer desktop which can also be user as a server.

22. Rivanov macrumors regular

I want a Mac mini with a quad-core i5/i7 instead of a dual-core i5/i7 such as the MacBook Pro 13".

23. iDave macrumors 6502a

Hi, you suggested those who want a better Mac mini buy a MacBook Pro instead. It's an expensive and wasteful option; paying for screen, keyboard, trackpad that isn't needed. If I was going to do that, an $1199 iMac would be a better deal. I'd just turn the screen toward the wall.

And you're correct, I want a Mac that doesn't exist. Apple won't make a computer and sell it to me for $1199 that doesn't have a built in screen. I already have a notebook computer and don't need another one. I don't like iMacs. I just want a better desktop computer, mini, or whatever it takes to get some power on my desk. I don't think I need to go into specs or details. There is no satisfactory solution; which was the point of my original post.

24. Minicube thread starter macrumors regular

It's actually a great option, IF you don't already have a laptop AND you have the extra cash. Everyone can use the mobility of a laptop. The real reason I suggested it was to say there is an Apple out there currently that has the specs we will almost certainly see in the new Mini. Since I already have a laptop (which I connect to an external display sometimes and use as a C2D Mini), I'm not interested in the MBP option. I use my Mini as a second computer; it's economical and great for that.

It's fun to wish and speculate, but I think we all know Apple is not going to give us the computer we really want (a super powerful Mini). Apple is more about making money than pleasing customers.

25. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

id rather buy a Mac Mini and use that extra $500 on an iPad 2, bam 2 birds one stone mobile and i have a dedicated computer hooked up to my TV