Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
i was a little surprised tho, that UK apple stores don't do good-will gestures unlike american stores or online apple stores. At least in london their policy seems to be: "you either want it or you don't, no one's forcing you to buy it".

I have just arranged for my 4th Macbook Pro this year to be sent back (deffective screen and battery). It has been 7 swap outs in total since I bought it originally in 2009. They agreed to offer a goodfaith gesture but will discuss when I finally get a working machine.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
So "YOU" say - good of you to speak for "most" people....
Mackilroy AKA Everyman ; the voice of the people.
Ah yes, once you no longer have an argument you resort to personal attacks. :rolleyes:

The people who have good machines by and large don't bother posting here as they are not ubernerd forum dwellers - therefore if they had problems with their machines I highly doubt this would be the place you would read about it.
So to be a member of a forum you have to be an ubernerd? That's rather elitist and arrogant. Regular people can and do post on web forums about their issues.

Also, you'd hear about it in the news (and you sometimes do) about a class action lawsuit against Apple, or major hardware faults (such as the 8600 GT) or with the overblown 'Antennagate.'

There is no doubt that with most new Apple products there are quality control issues that can probably [note I use the probably] be attributed to large volume increase of products shipping by Apple presently as compared to quantities shipped say 3 years ago.

Maybe "don't" speak in absolutes on behalf of everybody else unless you have statiscal data to back it up, it makes you come off as ignorant... Dr Strangelove wouldn't do it so why would you ?
How interesting. I didn't realize MR was now a place where to post you had to defend what you wrote as though it were your dissertation. And you really like having a false sense of superiority, don't you? Around 79,000 people disagree with you: Apple smokes competition in reliability.

Facts hurt, I know. But sometimes you just have to stop grinding that axe and accept that your fantasy world where Apple screws up everything and simply can't do anything right isn't real. Because, you know, they've got billions of dollars in the bank and good reviews from large surveys so obviously they've got at least a tiny bit on the ball. Are they perfect? Hardly. That's why I built myself a hackintosh. But is Apple a horrendously incompetent company? Nope.

edifyingGerbil

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2011
I have just arranged for my 4th Macbook Pro this year to be sent back (deffective screen and battery). It has been 7 swap outs in total since I bought it originally in 2009. They agreed to offer a goodfaith gesture but will discuss when I finally get a working machine.

Jesus, I'd feel kind of bad now asking for a good-will gesture as I only had three duds, and one of them I hadn't installed anything on so it wasn't as much of an inconvenience.

Do you think it's worth calling Apple Support rather than deal with the store itself? I think Apple Support is based in the US (the mostly have American accents) and they tend to be very friendly and accommodating.

Or, should I wait for this one to malfunction lol

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I've read of a good many people who got upgraded to a brand-new machine after they'd had a couple of replacements. You shouldn't have much trouble either way asking for something – often they'll even throw in extras such as AppleCare.

adam12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Do you think it's worth calling Apple Support rather than deal with the store itself? I think Apple Support is based in the US (the mostly have American accents) and they tend to be very friendly and accommodating.

Or, should I wait for this one to malfunction lol

Ok an important distinction is that customer support has an umbrella approach to every customer. The stores are mostly discretionary in what they do. You will always have less problems dealing over the phone with customer support. I have had a few store managers who have been arrogant and problematic.

I would say at the third swap out mark then its time to start asking for good faith gestures. You have given them a few chances and been fair on your part at that point.

For me, when I receive a machine now the first thing I do is put it through extended hardware test before I even both doing updates. The one before this was loaded with corrupt RAM.

aegillesp

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Out of all the Apple products I've owned,
2005 iPod Nano--worked until Spring of 2009, I dropped it and the hold button broke, but it still kept working. The original headphones still work too...surprisingly
Spring 2009 iPod Nano--Still works
2010-Bought a used iPod Shuffle, the small clippy ones
2005 iBook G4 13" --worked until I sold it in 2008
2008 MacBook 13" --Still worked when I sold it, the only problem was the HD crashed (which I replaced myself), and the plasic pieces kept flaking off the monitor and the keyboard, and the shell kept getting "fracture cracks", but Apple replaced the keyboard piece without any questions asked in Spring 1010
2010 MacBook Pro 17"--Worked great, upgraded RAM, but still sluggish on Maya/Mudbox 2011. Although I thought I paid for the glossy screen and instead of telling me they were sold out, they sent me home with the Anti-Glare screen. Drove 6 hours just to GET the laptop, When I called about it they sent me a free AppleCare or I could drive back and exchange it. I kept the AppleCare
2010-iPod Touch, still working and I love it!

So far I've been pretty happy, then my HD crashed in my MacBook, I was upset. I bought the AppleCare plan with the iBook G4 and never used it so I thought not to buy it when I got my MB. 3 months later the HD crashed and I called apple and explained to them everything about the AC plan and they offered to replace my HD for free. Later when I got the keyboard replaced, they told me my batch of MB had plastic defects and HD defects and they extended the warranty on those items. Still sucked because I couldn't drive to get my HD replaced and I ended up tossing it and found out a few years later I could have brought it in and replaced it for free...

haveknot

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
East Blue
You must be a very lucky person to experience unprecedented inconveniences . Just streaky though . If you are down , there is no other way but up ! :)

adam12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Unreal!!!

Just received my latest Macbook Pro 17". Royally pissed off. I noticed out of the box the cellophane was filthy the speaker holes were coverd inside with dust and even the black envelope with the insturctions and discs was scuffed white with tears. Clearly a reconditioned job.

I have called customer service twice. Both times the automated service said (no joke) 'is this concerning the Macbook Pro you purchased in April 1978'.

Customer service were crap and said I would need to contact the case manager. I did and left voicemails and email with no response. I called again and they said he is on vacation till Friday and to call back then.

AWFUL COMPANY!!!!!

Last edited:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Just bought a brand new MBP 15", and one week later it won't boot up, probably the memory modules or MB. However, my refurb MBA-13 is working well after 2 months.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
Dont feel bad. My superdrive was DOA right out of the sealed box. (15" MBP 2011)

I guess if its not an iOS device, they could care less.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Just received my latest Macbook Pro 17". Royally pissed off. I noticed out of the box the cellophane was filthy the speaker holes were coverd inside with dust and even the black envelope with the insturctions and discs was scuffed white with tears. Clearly a reconditioned job.

I have called customer service twice. Both times the automated service said (no joke) 'is this concerning the Macbook Pro you purchased in April 1978'.

Customer service were crap and said I would need to contact the case manager. I did and left voicemails and email with no response. I called again and they said he is on vacation till Friday and to call back then.

AWFUL COMPANY!!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Beachballing MBP(Dont buy from 3rd party vendors)

When my MBP was less than a wek old I called the distributor..PowerPC. They hemmed and hawed. So I took it to Mac store It is still under warranty but they wont trade since they didnt sell it(techncally) Finally had to get HD swapped out. It had just quit. I now have a HItachi 320, 5400. Still beachballimng. Computer isnt 9 months old. I bought a mini since then with only 2 gb ram. IT RUNS CIRCLES AROUND THIS MBP. If I run xbench..I get disk scores of 40 if Im lucky.
My old 2.2 old style MBP did bettr than that. My Dell-Ubuntu burys this thing. Its a piece of garbage. Im stuck with it. Ithought I might get a hybrid drive. Anyone think that will help.?
Everyday I spend at least an hour going thru forums looking for answers. Now Im checking out memory...
Swap file vs ram I have 4 GB ram but it shows 3.75..( its normal)
MY VM is 140GB(isnt that big?)
I have well over 2gb free..ALWAYS. From 2.75 to 2.19.
Inactive 244 mb
USED-1.8GB
QUESTION..I remember beck in THE dAY..you could adjust the size of the swap file on yer old windoze machines. Is there a way to FORCE my MBP to use that errant RAM? It never uses it. Whats the point of having 4gb if it only uses half of it? I hear people say.."Oh add ram!!" WHY?? Its not using what it has. WHy would I add ram?
Any ideas on how to get rid of constant relaunches? Beachballs?

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
Around 79,000 people disagree with you: Apple smokes competition in reliability.

Facts hurt, I know.

Better than average is not "good" it literally just means better than average. [most popular electronic devices produced presently are specifically designed to just survive past warranty expiration/ its what drives our ridiculous gargantuous global economy]

79000 out of of a several million doesn't mean jack...the only thing that hurts is reading the drivel you are trying to make us believe.

Off to gob a bowl of Cap'n Crunch in my cape...

dhtmlkitchen

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2010
If it makes you feel any better, I exchanged 6 iMacs and 1 MBP until I got a unit that was free of defects. Unfortunately these things happen, but I recommend you speak to one of the store's managers to work out something (I got a gift voucher to value of the cost of my repeated trips + parking).

And your time.

It is reasonable to expect any product to work as advertised. QA and QC are not the job of the consumer. (And now I am reminded of the unusable "crash free" OS 10.0 which crashed frequently).

dhtmlkitchen

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2010
Better than average is not "good" it literally just means better than average.

That is universally true.

The fact that other manufacturers ship **** to market doesn't make Apple ideal; just "not as bad."

QA costs money and when put up against marketing, in the short run, marketing will result in profits.

I remember those "hey dude" commercials from Dell. They don't even provide Windows 7 drivers for Dell Latitudes that are more than a few years old. A hardware search of the Dell site (which is even buggier thatn Apple.com (hard to believe, I know)) for the drivers results in a page that says something e.g. "Sorry, no drivers found. Solution: Buy a brand new Dell!" So the conclusion is that you can "recycle" your Dell garbage (which in reality means it will probably get shipped off to Ghana or China) and buy a new one, at which point know you can't expect more than a few years' usage of it because you know Dell doesn't want you to; they want you to buy a new Dell. And even if you did get the drivers, the construction of Dells are ****.

Businesses cannot be expected to care things that do not affect profits (either directly or in the short run). Profits being also the motivating factor for planned obsolescence and overcharging the consumer for unsupported battery change.

But regarding the OP, I would rather spend time returning the machine and trying to get recompense for time spent, hassle, etc.

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Hold on cowboy

I got a few good commiserations and several smarttalkers. Which is so typical of people who would wet themselves rather than confront someone.
ANqway
I am not miffed with APple, if these people could read they would see that I am saying that if you try to save a few bucks with a 3rd party vendor you may not save anything. All things considered, I have purchased for my son and myself in the last 5 yrs, 3 macbooks, a mac mini, 3 iphones, an ipod..and I cant count the ipods. I would say Im a fan. The only OS I would use in lieu of OSX is Ubuntu and I dont reccomend it for the faint hearted.
I aint mad. I aint POed with Apple. Apple gave me new HD..what else could they do? I just wanted to show some of my memory findings and see if I should continue to work on this..or just admit that maybe I got a lemon. Im sure Rolls ARoyce makes a deud every now and then. But Thanks for the positive stuff. This is the best forum for real advice. But if you wanna fight, you womnt get one from me. Life is too short etc etc. Thats what I have a wife for.

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA

AWFUL COMPANY!!!!!

Adam, did you get this as a NEW machine from an APple store or Apple online? I can barely believe it/ I have good experience with MAc connevtion, not too good with PowerPC(They let me doa trade in) I fell for it. I shoulda sold it. If its strill under a year...they should just trade. They offerd me a trade until they realized I had gone to 3rd party. Stay after em'. That doesnt sound typical.

adam12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Adam, did you get this as a NEW machine from an APple store or Apple online? .

Hi, I got this online. One other thing I noticed as well is that the trackpad was responding to around 70% of left clicks and 20% of right clicks. They asked me to go to the honolulu mac store to verify and I said 'you waste my time with seemingly countless problems and now Im a liar?' They said okay and arranged a new swap out. Im going with a Matte screen this time to see if it eleviates the backlight bleeding that I noticed on this and the last machine around the bottom of the bezel.

Okay so compesnation. Now for the last 5 Macbook swapouts and 4 iPad 2's that were faulty they offered me (seriously) '5 free iTunes songs'. Clearly that was a no.

The person who said 'they usually throw in Apple care'...false no they dont. But they offered me $150 towards items on the apple store exc. ipad, iphone, macbooks, and imacs.

So, I haggled it a little and got:

2 x iPhone ear buds (one warranty, one non-warranty)
1 x magic mouse
1 x wireless keyboard.

They said 'this makes us even on everything right Adam?'

and I replied 'Yes.......to date'

Response (silence)

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Better than average is not "good" it literally just means better than average. [most popular electronic devices produced presently are specifically designed to just survive past warranty expiration/ its what drives our ridiculous gargantuous global economy]

79000 out of of a several million doesn't mean jack...the only thing that hurts is reading the drivel you are trying to make us believe.

Off to gob a bowl of Cap'n Crunch in my cape...
Speculation on your part! How nice. And of course, you can't forget the people who abuse, misuse, or simply have no idea how to take care of what they buy.

Of course it means something. Otherwise you wouldn't be trying so hard to convince me that it means nothing. You simply don't want to accept that Apple is a fallible company and has occasional issues, and that a website such as this is not representative of the population of a whole. I understand that, but I won't agree with it.

The person who said 'they usually throw in Apple care'...false no they dont.
Just an FYI, if you're going to quote someone you should at least try to be accurate. I actually said that they'll often throw in extras such as (emphasis mine) AppleCare. That doesn't mean it will always be AppleCare, but it might be, and I've seen at least one person post here that he'd gotten AppleCare as a result of his talking to an Apple employee.

adam12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Just an FYI, if you're going to quote someone you should at least try to be accurate. I actually said that they'll often throw in extras such as (emphasis mine) AppleCare. That doesn't mean it will always be AppleCare, but it might be, and I've seen at least one person post here that he'd gotten AppleCare as a result of his talking to an Apple employee.

I was accurate, they NEVER give it, rather than your 'often', and that is straight from the horses mouth at Apple.

And no one is here to convince you of anything. Apple has bad quality control and you only have to go onto google news to see that. The backlight issues alone for iPad 2's (of which I had 4 before finally getting a refund) are all over the press. Just go onto youtube and and search on it, there are already a ton of videos of people complaining.

I came to this forum to share information and swap experiences so I can learn from other peoples and also gage the significant of the issues I have experienced in the general public to influence my purchasing decisions with Apple or other providers et al. within the industry.

You keep stating that people cant accept facts, well.....these are the facts and the sources provided are the evidence. The people on here are also the evidence, so it would appear that your constantly passive-aggressive attitude through out your posts are simply pointless and frankly....drivel.

It is yourself that is going against the grain of popular and media opinion based upon proven instances, rather than speculation as you call it.

If you are so adamant that it is the be all end all of quality control then you are entitled to your opinion....like we now have one of you.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I was accurate, they NEVER give it, rather than your 'often', and that is straight from the horses mouth at Apple.

you are incorrect:

He said he wanted me to leave happy, and returned 5 minutes later after speaking with a manager, and offered me an i7 iMac, and AppleCare for free.

When I exchanged the very slightly yellow i7 for a perfect one, they gave me another $100 off for the inconvenience, plus free Applecare ($150?).

Etc. Etc.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
For the OP

I'm another loyal customer who has ALSO gone through three Macs (in a month, not a week - it takes them ages to send me replacements from China). In any case, I still have problems with the current model, but I am finally giving up. The other two were unbearable. The first had discoloration of the screen and the second had a faulty logic board (computer literally would not turn off or sleep - even with holding down power button). In any case, now I'm dealing with super high temperatures and a DVD drive that won't burn any Dual Layer disc I throw at it. Just be glad you're in driving distance of an Apple store and can have these swapped out like tires. That's no consolation, though, and I don't mean to take away from your hardships. It really, really sucks.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
You've already been proven wrong, and you're still not understanding what I actually said, so I'll let you read the pertinent posts.

You keep stating that people cant accept facts, well.....these are the facts and the sources provided are the evidence. The people on here are also the evidence, so it would appear that your constantly passive-aggressive attitude through out your posts are simply pointless and frankly....drivel.

It is yourself that is going against the grain of popular and media opinion based upon proven instances, rather than speculation as you call it.

If you are so adamant that it is the be all end all of quality control then you are entitled to your opinion....like we now have one of you.
I completely agree that Apple has problems, and I've said so before. All manufacturers do. It's part of mass-producing products. What I disagree with is your and mrwonkers' assertion that every single product they ship is completely flawed. I have provided evidence of the satisfaction that people have with Apple, and instead of providing your own evidence, you have simply made declarations. Again, yes, people have problems. But I would venture a guess that most do not, and for someone to have as many problems as you have had is simply extremely unlikely. I have the experience of my friends and family who have been buying Macs for a decade and a half. I have the evidence of years of surveys done by reputable sources. You have forum threads, which is where people naturally go when they have an issue with their machines, as those who are happy generally do not care about posting on a web forum.

As you and mrwonkers have your own agenda and refuse to consider any other viewpoint as having a grain of truth, I'll leave you to your own fantasy world. Hopefully you'll end up with a product that lives up to your standards.

adam12345

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
As you and mrwonkers have your own agenda and refuse to consider any other viewpoint as having a grain of truth, I'll leave you to your own fantasy world. Hopefully you'll end up with a product that lives up to your standards.

Hardly a fantasy when I am waiting around home all day taking time of work for fed ex to keep picking up faulty machines and dropping of new ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.