A very loyal Apple user very disappointed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckesten, Mar 26, 2011.

1. ckesten macrumors regular

ckesten

Hello all,

Last week I upgraded from MB to the new 15 inch MBP. I was in Tennessee for business when I bought it last week. When I got back to the hotel I turned on my upgraded Mac and noticed that the speakers were vibrating to an uneven beat. So much so that even a simple soft sound would run across my hand while I am typing. I brought it back to the Tenn. Mac store. The Apple Genius tried for himself and said that he's never seen this issue before and ran diagnostics. He came back and said that it was defective and replaced it for me with another brand new 15" MBP. He opened it up to test it out and it seemed to be the same exact problem. He agreed that it sounded just like the other and said it didn't feel right. He ran diagnostics on it and told me that it was at the extreme high level before they consider something defective.

Keep in my that the MBP had a promotion that it came with a Printer for free ($100 - $100 mail in rebate). So when they replaced the MBP the printer had to be there for the "exchange" because for the promotion both the MBP and the printer have to be on the same receipt. So I went back to the hotel that was a half an hour away and got the printer and brought it back for the exchange.

I wasn't happy with that but I brought it back to the Hotel and used it that night. I couldn't get past how any little sound that came up would distract me because of the way the speaker pulsated on my hand. I looked at the serial number and it was one off from the original. Maybe it was a bad batch. I brought it back to NY where I live and Apple replaced it for me with no problem again. Now these speakers work perfect but one of the USBs don't work. It doesn't recognize anything plugged in. I'm really disappointed. This is my 3rd MBP in a week. I feel like I should speak with them again. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? I am a very loyal Apple customer and have never experience anything like this in all my years using their products.

I appreciate you reading and any advice given.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Sorry, I don't know what else you can do except to exchange again.

I think some of you folks are truly star-crossed, the way you keep getting machines with issues. I never had any problem with my first MBP, and I'm not having any problems with my 2011 now.

3. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I agree with greytmom that yet another exchange is probably your best course of action. I purchased my 2011 15" MBP shortly after they were released and I've had no issues at all. With the problems you and others on these forums have had with the new MBP's I'm beginning to feel lucky to have avoided a similar fate. Here's hoping the fourth time's a charm for you.

4. idunn macrumors 6502

Return it

Take it back to Apple, again. Quite unfortunate, but at least in this instance little argument with a port that works or not.

As yourself, I am loyal to Apple, but that does not extend to a lack of quality control. My disappointment that they should not have the highest standards in this regard.

In having followed the release of the new iPad2, as well as MacBook Pro, there are obviously some issues that should have been resolved at the factory, certainly not through assistance of the poor customers. If any consolation, the first iteration of this MacBook had a defective trackpad clicker, and they quickly swapped it for another new one which has largely worked well since. Now the SuperDrive is near unusable, which I do not approve of as having seen little use, but at least this having happened several years later.

Some people suffer new products from Apple with obvious defects, and whether small or large that their choice. But if anything significant, one really does neither Apple or ourselves any favors by not pointing it out. They have a brand to be proud of and uphold, with part of that the rightful expectation of customers that more usually the new product unwrapped will work as advertised.

5. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

They just work!

Anyone tells you that about a mac again, smack them lol

6. ckesten thread starter macrumors regular

ckesten

Funny because I really did always think they just worked until now. That was what I told everyone considering getting a mac..they just work!

This has seriously changed the way I see their product. I really did think they were near flawless. Do you think there is anyway they could exchange it for the other 15 inch MBP, you know, for the 3x inconvenience!

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've had several MBPs, and apple branded devices/perhipherals. Only had one product that needed to be replaced (and that was easily done).

But it sounds like you're getting flustered. I'd just get a different model all together; perhaps a refurb of the 2010 models or something to that effect. No reason to go through 3x exchanges is all I'm saying.

best o luck.

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

I know that you like to spam this in every thread where a defect is involved, but you do realize that the advertising is describing the design philosophy of the product. It's in no way advertising that it's a miraculous product that's somehow immune to defect. It's a mass produced item just like any other and problems are inevitable.

9. kushed macrumors regular

i think you should replace it, for not untill like 8 or 10 days. this will ensure that the batch you are buying from is gone. and if you do get another bad one, again wait, until your 14 day is allmost up. itll just help from picking up another one from the same batch. personally i think you should go for a different model, or BTO. as every mac i have ever owned as been a BTO from the website and it comes fully working and is beautiful

10. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    One pays a premium for a mac so one should expect premium service. Sometimes there are duds, everything is mass produced these days; return without delay and demand a new one! :apple:

11. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

exchange it or be happy with your defective machine.

12. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Exchange it... no question about it. But I don't think it entitles you to an upgraded model at no cost because you'll have exchanged it three times.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, you don't.

14. clearyjp macrumors member

If it makes you feel any better, I exchanged 6 iMacs and 1 MBP until I got a unit that was free of defects. Unfortunately these things happen, but I recommend you speak to one of the store's managers to work out something (I got a gift voucher to value of the cost of my repeated trips + parking).

15. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Your situation sucks, thats undeniable! Keep taking it back and Apple will keep replacing until you're satisfied. I hope when I go purchase my 15" mbp this week I don't have any of these issues along with the hundreds of others.
    Hopefully you don't get the radiation batch next.

16. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    saying that, back in my pc days, i had to return toshiba laptops 6 times in 8 months.. the final time i manged to change models to an acer model with blu-ray - :D -at least this lasted just over a year.

I have to say all my mac hardware has performed flawlessly - my 3g iphone is still going..

17. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

One should definitely be compensated for such inconvenience!

18. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

No, you don't what?
    :confused:

19. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Idunn is correct. There seems to be more issues with the new iPad and MacBook pro line than in previous launches.

20. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Wow you had a string of bad luck which all those problems. I do not believe that is the norm for Apple products at all. In fact all my Apple products have been perfect out of the box and have remained trouble free so far.

EXCEPT for out two iPad 2's which both have the bleed. And to be honest, like you, I am a avid, loyal Apple user and I too am disappointed based on these iPad's.

Not cool :apple:, not cool. :mad:

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

In a case like this, I would speak to the manager, and ask for free Apple Care. It's an easy sell. You simply ask them " Does Apple stand behind the quality of their products, or not?" Keeping in mind that you have been inconvenienced by a couple of systems lacking in quality.

Even if you don't need any warranty repairs in that period (and you probably won't) - just being able to call them ask a question on how to do something with an Apple application or the OS - can make AC worth having.

22. BroodRooster macrumors member

@ckesten:

I have the same troubles you are having with apple's new MBP, Im now waiting for a 4th replacement. Bought trough online apple store in belgium. Forced the after sales to get some kinda giftcard for all the mess they made. They are going to send me an airport express for free when my new macbook pro arrives (hopefully in top condition)

1st mbp: dented casing
    2nd : dimmed backlight
    3th: scraping hinge en scuffmarks on the alu

23. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

Yeah, it's a bummer but unfortunately all consumer electronics have a failure rate. You're a statistical anomoly in that you've recevied 3 in a row.

Exchange, again, and test everything! :)

24. TomCondon macrumors regular

Well my apple products are all fine :)

2011 MBP
    late 2009 Ipod Touch
    iPhone 4

25. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Isn't it amazing how many people have failing memories? How about a trip down memory lane (in random order):

-The Powerbook hinge disaster (Tis)

-The 1st Gen. MBP with the high pitched CPU sounds, bowed lids, insane heat, etc... I had a 2.16 and lived through this.

-The Powerbooks AND MBs with the white spot issues

-The entire nVidia GPU disaster (though not limited to Apple nor their fault)

-The Firebooks

-The swollen battery problem that has plague Apple for years...

I could go on but I think you get my point.

However, I think the 2011 MBP is one of the best notebooks I've ever owned.

The other observation I would like to point out is the relationship between upgraded hardware VS issues. Speed bump updates are -for the most part- a non-issue for most people. The 2010 MBP update is a great example. What really changed on it from the 2009? The GPU was a minor update from the mediocre 9600 and had been out for sometime before Apple used it so it was well field tested by many others.

The CPU was quite a jump from the C2D in speed but not as big of a jump to a QCore update like the 2011.

Give the complexity for the 2011 and Apple choice to be cutting edge, I think they have done a great job.

In the end, I'm just saying that people have short memories. Claiming Apple has never had as many 'production issues' before this is just plain wrong.

-P