A year later, Antennagate Revisited.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eezing, Jul 1, 2011.

1. eezing, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

I know, I know... I just couldn't resist.

I've had my iPhone 4 since launch and were coming up on 1 year. As much as I love the device, it plains sucks as a phone. Gating the antenna or not, the thing drops calls. God forbid if I have to make a call to my dad or girlfriend (both iPhone 4 owners).

So, have you accepted that fact that your phone sucks as a phone (be honest with yourself :)) and are just riding the remainder of your 2yr contract?

Do you think the iPhone 5 will be a redesign partially because of the antennagate?

After I originally posted, I found this interesting Article

I'm going to analyze by bill and post the results.

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this is a troll post. But I've had my iPhone for 8-9 months, and it is far from being a bad phone. In fact, it might be one of the best I've had so far.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have no issues with my iPhone 4 as a phone
    I'm sorry you have, but most of us don't

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not that I am trying to defend Apple, but I honestly haven't had a problem with the antenna with any of the iPhone 4s I have used. :confused:

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Myself, along with many others, have not experienced any antenna issues.

6. forcetactic macrumors 6502

It depends on the signal strength of At&t and Verizon. Honestly I just don't hold my hand in that area and I rarely get dropped calls

7. elfy macrumors 6502

Yeah, it seems to me that that whole issue was blown way out of proportion. I've never had any problems with mine.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

8. eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

I knew I'd get the wrath. :)

I guess at&t sucks in my area because damn...

Well, in all honesty the majority of my drop calls happen at my workplace where I usually hover around 2 bars. Still... 2 bars should be good enough.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, is this bogus title going to be fixed?

I with the others have had no problems with calls.

10. eezing, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011

eezing thread starter macrumors 6502

eezing

Yes I too have had to adjust how I hold my phone during calls.

Why the hostility?

11. BriChi macrumors 6502

Although I never drop calls being that I have a very thin clear case on, I am hoping for an antennae redesign too, Once I take my case off, Just simply holding the phone cause the bars to drop and my 3G to go in and out from 3G to "o" which drastically changes the speed when web browsing when wifi is not around, Especially when at work, We are tracked for web browsing so I stay off the companies wifi, If I take my case off, I am constantly going in and out of "o" which sucks, But as far as calls, the phones dropped maybe 2 calls since released on verizon, And I know where the phone dropped the call most phones drop it there because of lack of towers

12. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Ditto, any problems I have I had with my previous phones and in the same places (like a particular store near my work I often drop by to pick up groceries etc. before I go home) which leads me to believe it's my company not my phone(s).

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

Nothing new here, the iPhone has always sucked as a phone, have had an iPhone for 3 years now, it hasn't deterred me from the iPhone because of all the other great stuff it does. I will say this though, with a case it's actually pretty good as a phone, not nokia or motorola level good, but definitely above average.

14. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4 gets service in places other AT&T phones don't. Honestly, it has the best antenna (with a bumper)

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I've been talking on the phone for 3 hours at a time this week with 1-2 bars in my basement and have yet to drop a call. Of course I don't speak for everyone but thats my experience :)

16. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

The only time I get dropped calls is when I'm out towards rural areas. But, everyone else drops them too, iPhone or not.

You're jumping the "let's blow this out of proportion" bandwagon.

17. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Exactly! It has more to do with the Network and signal strength than anything else. Every phone I have ever used has dropped calls. I have AT&T right now, some places I never drop calls, others I drop them all the time. Every carrier has weak signal areas where calls are dropped.

18. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Lord, I dream of two bars at my workplace. Most of the time it's either 1/4 bar or no service. I can't even use the phone there. Sucks since I'm paying ATT so much.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Blame the service in your area, not the phone
    I get great AT&T service in my office at work and on the road
    And I travel a LOT

20. Pink∆Floyd, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It was blown out of proportion by the media, it was never an issue with the phone, it had to do with how you held the phone and signal strength

Don't hold it like this guy:
    [​IMG]

21. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

The phone part of my iPhone isn't the greatest phone in the world but its far from the worst... personally the phone part of my iPhone is the least used function - other than my wife i couldn't really care to actually speak to people ;) too many other options with txt/facetime/email/IM

Ant

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What hostility? You’re just trying to get a rise out of people with your ridiculous title that has nothing to do with your issue. Your issue is the service in your area, not the iPhone. OR did I miss where you mentioned it was losing signal due the way you were touching? Yeah, I thought so. Change your title.

23. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Because you come off as somewhat of a douche nozzle.

I just bought a Verizon iPhone and i am totally satisfied and YES, I have the antenna issue in weak signal areas IF I hold the phone is the well known spot. I don't nturally hold the phone in that manner so no problem for me and I don't use a bumper as I prefer the elegant look of the iPhone.

So, in answer to your very leading, nasty question, "So, have you accepted that fact that your phone sucks as a phone (be honest with yourself...."
    NO.

24. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

This post screams TROLL to me but I'll respond anyway.
    I haven't had any issues. The iPhone 4 is the best phone. Sorry for your issues??

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Wow, feel sorry for the OP, these people are ripping him a new *******.

My iPhone sucks as a phone and so did the rest of my iPhones. Its either dropping calls or my ear hits mute.

I live in Orange County where AT&T is very good.

edit...never knew cuss words were bleeped. Ass*hole.