A year later - how may people stay caseless?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iPhone envy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. iPhone envy macrumors member

I'm going to get the new iPhone - whatever that may be - and wonder if I should even use a case. Instictivly I think 'must protect the precious,' but wonder if that's even nessesary.

I plan on keeping the phone in the pocket of my jeans. Over the last few years I've done the same with a blackberry, and minus the random fumble, it has been ok. Where my old Razr cell phone's screen cracked the first week I carried it around in my pocket.

Anyway.... anyone had a "naked" iPhone for the year? Or, did you start out that route and then jump to a case? Is your phone worn, scrached, dinged, or is the case just a visual accessory for those putting the phone in our pocket?

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

almost a year later and i keep my caseless and in my pocket. I've never dropped it. I did have the incase initially but took that off.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I have tried a few different cases and have taken them all off (sold them as well). I just like the feeling of the iPhone naked.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I'm the same way, always have high hopes for the case but after a few days it always comes off.

5. iPhone envy thread starter macrumors member

Just curious

Which cases did you guys try and decided to ditch?

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The only case's I'd look into is something to cover the dock port. Putting it inot jeans might get lint up in there, as I had with previous cell phones.

I use a belt holster that the iphone slides into. Nice for going to the office and on the weekend when often my pants lack pockets! :p

7. Lau Guest

I've never had a case for mine. The silver edge has a lot of very fine scratches, and recently the back's got a lot more dings and scratches. They are very small though, especially as it goes in my pocket with keys or kicking around in my bag. The screen, however, is still flawless. <knocks on wood>

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I used the Speck HolsterPro (simple slide in case) and a screen protector. The case was perfect, but the stiching left dull marks on the chrome piece. Other then that I liked it. I tried it naked, but like it on my belt for easy access.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It should be.

I saw a scratched iPod Touch the other day :eek: Just a straight gouge going from the middle to the top.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have that Power support crystal thingy on the screen but mine has been caseless ever since I got it.

Dropped it once, scuffed the corner but that is it. I tried a case but it was just annoying.

11. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i used to be the same way, but have gotten away from cases over the past few years. i still take damn good care of my items regardless. but yeah, i have yet to have an iphone in a case.
    like 7on said, i would like a port cover or better yet an earphone plug because of pocket lint.

12. BigPrince macrumors 68020

After like the first two months I have carried mine around naked ever since. I have dropped it alot too.

It is pretty beat up, but the Screen is 98% mark free.

13. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Naked its whole life, although now back on the farm for the summer I have purchased the screen film protector thing!!

The farm is definitely the iPhones final frontier (btw I am not a trekkie!!) :)

14. blakintosh macrumors member

I don't like using cases with my iphone, its great the way it is. People use cases to maintain its beauty but why do they want to keep it beautiful and perfect if all they see is a piece of plastic that is covering their iphone. Doesn't make sense :s

The point is that you should enjoy your iphone and take good care of it. Maybe buy a good protector film for the screen and i guess that's all you will need.

;)

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've actually had the Agent 18 case on my phone or whatever that one is that looks just like the Agent 18. I have a few little scratches on the back, really they're divits from when two of the plastic little teeth popped off and got stuck under the case. There are also fine scratches on the bezel because dirt gets under there and rubs. Basically I think the case has done a little more harm than good all things considering. I did get the invisible shield thing but I ****ed the back up (corners would never stick) so I gave up.

16. Xenn0X macrumors regular

i had a sleek casing of fabrixs.
    but ditched it due just irritating to use a case on iphone.
    using it without case for a while and no scratch or dent yet.:apple:

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I enjoy the nakedness of the iPhone! Thanks to InvisibleShield installation at Macworld SF '08 for free. I gave up some MarWare silicon piece of junk, that scratched up my chrome bezel, but I was lucky enough to get a replacement just before the MWSF '08, so everything has been cool.

18. importluva macrumors member

Naked is indeed the way mine has been. At first i was worried about gripping the damn thing but i've gotten used to it since. I just couldn't stomach $40 for the iSkin Revo.

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I bought an InCase on day one, but it recently fell apart. I've been going caseless for about three months. I've dropped it, put a couple of dings on the back, and it still works fine! It's a tough little machine!

20. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

mine has never had a case on it...I carry it in my pocket every day. no scratches whatsoever except on the silver border on the front. but you can't really see them unless you look up close.

I also clean my iphone with sanitizing wipes and iklear regularly, so that helps it stay in good condition.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I was for a while, then I got one(it was free, so I tried it) Liked it for a while, but now I'm back with out a case.*

(I use an iPod sock)

22. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I do not use a case, except when attending auto races where I use an Incase Slider. I do have a Crystal Film on the screen. The film has scratches and dents. The phone itself is in great shape with a few barely visible micro-scratches on the chrome trim and Apple logo.

23. skyton macrumors 6502

ive had an incase rubber sleeve on mine
    but really with the amount of dust etc that gets stuck inside im starting to wonder if its helping or making it worse!

24. kamakalama macrumors newbie

I put the iphone into an Otterbox Defender when I'm camping or boating. Otherwise its in my jeans front pocket naked except for a screen protector.

Jeff

25. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yep, one year completely caseless. The phone is still in great shape. A few scuff marks on the chrome bezel, but otherwise perfect. 3G and more memory will be tempting (not to mention GPS), but I won't be in any hurry to replace my current phone with a plastic-backed one*.

*I reserve the right to buy the new iPhone on day one.