A320 Airbus about to crash-land in LA

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
An Airbus A320 is circling LA's Longbeach airport dumping fuel after taking off from Burbank for NY and twisting it's front landing gear by 90deg.
It's preparing for a controlled crash landing presumably at Longbeach live on SKY News with 145 people on board!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Airbus 320 emergency landing in Los Angeles

NBS news link

A JetBlue Airbus 320 with damaged landing gear (the nose gear somehow twisted sideways) is going to be making an emergency landing at Long Beach airport shortly, or possibly at Los Angeles International airport, after it burns off as much fuel as it can. It has 139 passengers.

Airport personnel and emergency equipment are standing by. Other commercial air traffic in Long Beach has been cleared off the runways.

"I've never seen a situation like that," said Donn Walker of the Federal Aviation Administration.
I sure hope this goes well for all concerned.

[Note: Threads merged.]

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
mpw said:
An Airbus A320 is circling LA's Longbeach airport dumping fuel after taking off from Burbank for NY and twisting it's front landing gear by 90deg.
It's preparing for a controlled crash landing presumably at Longbeach live on SKY News with 145 people on board!
Wow that must be really scarey for the people onboard.

I sorta of know. One time I was on a small biz jet, maybe 25 passengers, and the pilot said that the landing gear was not locking. We had to fly from CT where we were going to land and go to New York for an emergency landing because they had better emergency landing programs (or w/e) you call it. They put down foam on the runway. It ended up the landing gear was working, there was just a bad sensor or something. It was scary as heck. Knowing that you could die in the landing is quite scary.

I hope for the best.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Advanced technology means that I can know about an imminent plane crash on the other side of the world before it even happens. Let's hope this technology doesn't let us down and everybody gets off unscathed.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
This should be in Current Events.

Apparently, the Airbus wasn't designed to dump fuel.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
public enemy said:
my eyes have been glued to the tv watching this! cnn and fox news :eek:
It's real car-crash TV but don't anchors talk crap when they're not scripted and rely on their 'wit' to feel time!

public enemy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
COLORADO
mpw said:
It's real car-crash TV but don't anchors talk crap when they're not scripted and rely on their 'wit' to feel time!
the 'experts' they use to relay the same info over and over and over and over are great. i am now and expert from watching this!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, they open the tanks, but they do it from a high altitude and typically over water. The gas evaporates before it reaches the ground. I'm not sure if this plane can dump fuel though...it may have just burned it off.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
homerjward said:
what does dumping fuel mean? they just open the tanks and let it spill out down to the ground?
I think it'll atomize and just blend in to the smog!

public enemy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
COLORADO
WildCowboy said:
Yes, they open the tanks, but they do it from a high altitude and typically over water. The gas evaporates before it reaches the ground. I'm not sure if this plane can dump fuel though...it may have just burned it off.
there increasing drag on the plane to burn fuel quicker. airbus like this cant dump. there talking about foaming the run way for protection

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
homerjward said:
what does dumping fuel mean? they just open the tanks and let it spill out down to the ground?
Yeah. I belevie if they try to land on a full tank, it could pop the tires or cause other damage due to the excessive weight.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
latergator116 said:
Yeah. I belevie if they try to land on a full tank, it could pop the tires or cause other damage due to the excessive weight.
Also if they land on a full tank, because of the wheels being messed up the bottom of the plane could be scraping against the runway and that could cause a huge explosion.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
latergator116 said:
Or cause a fiery explosion. Jet fuel burns extremely hot.

So K, what channel you watching?

public enemy

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
COLORADO
it would suck so bad to be a aboard this plane, they have been in the air for over 3 hours flying around to burn fuel.... hell no!