A4 or Civic EX???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Aug 6, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i'm in the market for a car (within 6 months) and i'm having a difficult choice to make. I'm interested in either a new 08 Civic EX or EX-L, or about an 05 Audi A4. I'd really like to get the ultra sport, but to keep cost low i would get teh 1.8T, and i've heard some bad things about it. Insurance for the Civic being new is about 300 more for 6 months. Now i'm looking for input on if the Audi would be a good choice because it's my number 1 choice, but who knows. Any input would be great.

Thanks

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I am partial to Honda's since they are easier to repair and also have great gas mileage. I've heard stories from VW/Audi owners that had issues with repairs.

Since Honda and Acura are the same company how about a used Acura TSX?

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have an '08 Civic LX with about 600 miles on it. Great, great car. The EX is even nicer, of course.

I'm curious how the civic will run you $300 more in insurance for the year. That's a pretty substantial % of my total!

4. wronski macrumors 6502

5. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

I have a 1.8T in my '99 VW Passat. I love the thing to bits.

Go A4!

Also, wouldn't the Audi have better resale value?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I say the A4, but I'm a VW guy so therefore, my opinion is 100% biased and should not be used for any decision making ;)

7. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

V-Dubs are the absolute best! :D

8. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Well, of the two you named, I would go with the A4.
    However, for your price range, you might want to consider getting a VW GTI golf (turbocharged) or a 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS (turbocharged). Both great/fast/sporty cars and around the same price as what you're looking for (probably even cheaper).

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I love Hondas, but an Audi is a cut above the rest in style. Biggest issue is reliability and maintenance, however. You can run the Honda forever without a hitch, but I've heard Audi's get into trouble at higher mileages. My friend was hunting for a used A4 for a while...during the search he heard that the Quattro system can prove problematic at higher mileages, among other problems. Repairs might also be very expensive. The Honda also gets great gas mileage, which is important as well.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The only time I won't recommend an Audi over something else is when something else is a GTI. Even if the Audi's better :D

But I was torn between an A3 and a GTI (both 2008s) The Audi didn't have much that the GTI didn't (other than AWD which is a big deal for some) and cost about 10 grand more. You're mostly paying for the Audi name. So I got the GTI and couldn't be happier, I love that car

11. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Repairs will be more expensive on Audi's than on Honda's. But to my experience, Audi's run a tad longer. I've known German engines to go past 200K miles (not that Honda's haven't). Of course, those cars were treated better than the owners' children, but still. :p

12. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

13. LeMacK macrumors newbie

I've owned 3 Audi A6's in the the past and loved all of them. In terms of comfort, interior detail and quality, and handling Audi is far superior to Honda. Their cars are truly fun to drive - very quick and excellent steering at low and high speeds. However, the Audi will obviously be more expensive and slightly more a hassle to maintain than the Honda (Audi replacement parts often have to be imported from Germany, etc., at least in my experience.)

I also second the comment that the Audi could certainly run well past 100K, if properly maintained of course. Several friends of mine drive VW's are always raving about how great they are as well.

Best of luck with your car shopping!

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My heart says Audi.

My head says Honda.

I'm a physics major, so you know that if this was MY purchase decision, I'd get the new Civic over the A4.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Wow, Honda isn't even in the same league as Audi. Go with the A4 and be happy.

*Don't get me wrong, Honda's are great cars. They just aren't as precise or have the fit and finish of an Audi (which is why they generally cost less).

16. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

The A4 will definitely be the more exciting car to own, but the TCO is much higher despite the $300 insurance difference. I just had a new timing belt installed ($900 U.S.), new clutch ($1800 U.S. single mass flywheel), new battery and annual maintenance ($500 U.S.), and it is currently in the shop getting a new control module, front and rear brake job ($1000 U.S.).

So since April I've spent $4200 in repairs/maintenance on my 1.8t A4 and the only thing done at inflated dealer prices was the battery and annual maintenance.

Not to say you'll have such expensive work in the immediate future (my car is a 2002), but you'll definitely have pricey repairs at some time compared to the Honda. Of course I wouldn't trade my six year old A4 for a brand new Civic. I still think it's one of the best decisions I ever made and love the car as much as any man can love an inanimate object.

If modding is your thing, the A4 is a great choice and the modder community is huge. I actually feel bad that mine is so stock. If the A4 you are considering is a Quattro, that's a huge plus if you still reside in the Northeast. Driving in rain is like driving on dry roads, but watch out on the ice.

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've owned both Honda's and VW's. Both are good cars.

Though the insurance rate on the Honda is higher, it will be less expensive to own and operate than an Audi (same mechanical parts as VW).

Audi/VW repairs are atrocious. No other way to put it. Parts are hard to come by locally, and mechanics that know how to repair them is even harder to find. The aluminum construction will help the Audi in respect to road salt. (Nothing to rust). As another forum member indicated, Quattro will help in rain.

Honda OTH, parts are found anywhere, and the vast majority of mechanics can fix it. They aren't the greatest handling cars in rain, but tires on a Civic change handling character more than any other car I've ever driven. Not so on the Accord.

Both will give good service in the long term, as long as you truly keep up with maintenance and repairs.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the problem with asking for opinions on Civics is that you're talking about the newest Civic models, which is a different car from the previous Civic models. People's experience with the handling, suspension, reliability, and overall feel of a Civic will really depend on whether they're talking about the new one or not.

My friend got a brand new 2008 Civic, and I've ridden in it once. It seemed very well built, and I could tell you this by simply closing the doors. It sounded like I was sitting in an air-tight vacuum interior. The seats were comfy, and the materials used were pretty decent (I knocked on some of the plastic in the interior......like I always do in a car I've never sat in). I felt like I was sitting in a much more expensive car, which I can't say about 1998 Civics, or 2005 Civics. It was as comfortable as the Merc SUV I sat in 1 week later (don't know the name of most SUVs.....it was a big 7 seater Merc, but wasn't the ugly ML series).

The Civic even had features I didn't expect it to have, such as the radio proximity sensors built into the bumpers so that sound an alarm when backing up your car. Wasn't that only found on expensive Mercedes, BMWs, etc only 5 years ago? Well they were on the Civic. So really, the biggest difference between the Civic and Audi is likely going to be the engine, suspension, fuel economy, and cost of repair. And old Civics don't compare well to the new Civics. I remember seeing the new Civic in a car review on TV (Top Gear? Maybe not), and they said it was outstanding. They were talking about the hatchback, not the 4 door sedan.

19. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Same here. My brother has an A4 2.8. So far hes had to fix wheel bearings ($500), New Audi symphony head unit (old one stopped playing CDs, $194), Both O2 sensors ($700). $1394, not including regular maintenance items. Kinda sucks. But i won't say its not fun to drive, especially with the quattro.

I would however go witht he civic over the audi. Im partial to bmw anyway :p

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That is exactly what I believe. The practical side, and long established car reviews, has Honda being cheaper to fix, more reliable, and lasting forever. But the Audi looks sexier, hands down.

21. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i'm 20, so reliability would be a plus. I've always been a huge Audi fan, so when i originally decided to get the civic i felt a little bad, but thought i would just get the Audi i want in a few years. Now i changed to the Audi, but after the bad things i've heard about reliability, i think i'll go back to the honda. :(:(

22. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Unless you have a lot of money, or parents that can support you, stick with the Honda until you get older. The costs of the Audi will eventually get to you, and may cause financial strains. Wait until you are more financially secured before you go for an Audi I would say, unless you are a super hardcore Audi fan.

23. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Yeah wait a little longer I'd say. The civic won't need much maintenance for a long time.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is what the data has said historically for some time now -- this argument is so well backed up in fact that I don't see any point in arguing it.

But you do have to weigh that against the passion of the car. No sensible person would ever buy an Audi for reliability and low TCO. But I think it's equally true that no sensual person would ever buy a Honda for driving passion.

EDIT: Oh, if the OP is 20, just get the Honda... but get a stick. Learn how to drive and then get a drivers car when you're ready to push it to its limits, but safely.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I like the A4s with the 1.8 turbo. A friend of mine has a '98 2.8L V6 model. The A4, as I see it, has two problems - it's a bit heavy, blunting acceleration, and it is expensive to own. Parts aren't cheap, and the cars tend to have lots of little faults, particularly electrical gremlins. I still like them, but if you need year-round, reliable transport on a budget the Audi is a bit of a risky proposition.

The Civic is more reliable and cheaper to own - although parts for a Civic aren't necessarily a whole lot cheaper than with the Audi. It will get much better fuel economy of course. But it is underpowered and while the handling is good the A4's is better.