Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
iPhone 6S 64gb space gray.

Not that bothered at all about the manufacturer but interesting nonetheless

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 360

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
Anyone know what iOS API is being used to get the CPU identifier? Even if it's a private API, a developer could write a very simple open source app and upload it to github, where anyone with Xcode could run it.

He states what he used on the reddit thread about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/3mt50s/a9_chip_source_detector/cvi60pv

OK, I use this dylib, it's a built-in dylib: http://iphonedevwiki.net/index.php/LibMobileGestalt.dylib

And also, I developed some iOS jailbreak tweaks that have been downloaded for million times. And also, I'm the guy that "leak" the resolution of iPad Pro. Source:http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/15/ipad-pro-screen-resolution/

edit:

See, https://github.com/Cykey/ios-reversed-headers/blob/master/MobileGestalt/MobileGestalt.h

This function call:

static const CFStringRef kMGChipID = CFSTR("ChipID");

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
if you are debating to get 6s or 6s Plus, this is another reason to get 6s plus. you will have better chance to get Samsugn chip with 6s Plus.

Really, sounds like a stupid reason. Get what you want, not based on some untested/verified application or what the hardcore apple geeks tell you. How do you know the app is actually reporting the correct information? Has anyone run it several times on proven chipsets to get a sample size for comparison so a true baseline can be established?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Though the chips are two different sizes, it's highly unlikely there are going to be performance differences large enough to be noticeable during daily usage.

If this is the case why does it deserve so much attention on MR's front page? The fact that you're dedicating space to it will naturally make some people believe it matters.

BizarroClark

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
There is really not much of a difference between a 16nm or 14nm FINFET device. Back in the day, the process node would describe the smallest possible feature size on a transistor. So say in an 130nm process the minimum transistor length you could have was 130nm but in 90nm you could get the same performance out of a device that had a 90nm length (I am ignoring width, which is just as important for device performance). This meant as you went from node to to node you could have a shrink in your devices. yay right? In practice, that shrink only applies to your digital logic. However your analog logic does not benefit as much from this shrink for many practical reasons of circuit design. So while your total area could shrink by 70%, it really depends on the ratio of analog and digital circuitry in your design. Not as straight forwards as you might think.

Now let's fast forward to these sub 20nm, such was 16 and 14 finfet. Everything is out the window. The industry is trying to keep up with Moore's law, and more for marketing and self fulfilling promises do we have these nodes. In actuality, they are really all similar and do not provide much shrink benefit from a 20nm node. Long story short, there really shouldn't be much difference in either chip.

Also, keep in mind Apple designed these chips in each process. Apple had a specs defined for each chip, did the circuit design, did the layout design, and did all the work. All TSMC or Samsung did was take their design and run it through the fab.

Reactions: thasan

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Let's say I really want to figure out the A9 manufacturer on my iPhone, wouldn't it be better to reset it first (delete anything) and then install the app, check, reset again just to be safe that this Chinese App doesn't phone back any of my data? If I reset my phone after again and restore a backup, would any malware code be still somewhere hidden on my iPhone?

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I have it installed, but how do I see my stat? All I see is the totals from everyone.

Nevermind. Didn't realize an actual app was installed. LOL. I got the Samsung. Nice.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Too funny watching everybody get frothed up yesterday over absolutely nothing. Both devices have the same functional specs and package.

Next up: Those same people are going to start getting the shakes when it's discovered that Apple uses resistors and capacitors from multiple vendors. Even more hilarious if one of those vendors happens to be Samsung!

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I want to know what chip I have. I don't know why. It will not affect me at all. I love my 6S and it has been running great. But I just want to know....

But still too nervous to install an unknown app. And thats worse because now I have the means to know but won't let myself find out. =]

Back up you iPhone via iTunes.

Take out all apps and install this app which then seems to be your savior.

Then erase the iPhone completely and reinstall you back up.

After all of that check your yellow pages for a psychiatrist.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
From the graph it looks like most of the TSMC chips went into the 6S. I'm curious - I wonder if they have some kind of system where they know which chips go into specific phones, or whether they know in advance which ones will end up in whichever country they're destined for. Performance is likely to be negligible so the curiosity may be totally moot - unless there is a noticeable performance difference - in which case it's a classic first world problem :)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Isn't it just a web site. Surely you can't "install" an app that isn't located at Apples App Store
I assure you it's possible. Many users in the past have installed emulators this way on non-jailbroken devices. Google sideloading on iOS.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
I prefer TSMC's. However, I would never install unidentified apps just to check the manufacturer. Once you install the app, your phone number, email address, contact information, credit card info, and passwords might be uploaded to the server. Welcome to open credit score community! PS) If I should, I would reset the iPhone before and after installation.

Not true at all. You could write an app that grabs system info, but you can't access a user's email address (it's boxed), contact information (also boxed), credit card info (secured on chip - not even Apple could retrieve this) or passwords (encrypted and boxed).

The developer is on Reddit - verified as a legit jailbreaker with most of his code up on github.

Reactions: 123

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
We don't know which chip is actually faster, but we *do* know which one is probably heavier. If your arm gets tired holding your phone or it breaks when you drop it, you probably have the TSMC.

(Trying to match logic with some of the commenters)

Can somone with Samsung run geekbench 3 and post?

TSMC benchmark is: 2526/4404

Maybe if you had hundreds of samples. Otherwise there isn't enough data to draw a conclusion. You'll find Defices with chips from the same fab have a margin of performance difference.

Reactions: bhayes444
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.